The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Wet foam under V-Berth

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grazer

City/Region: Yukon
State or Province: YT
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Horse
Photos: Grazer
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Wet foam under V-Berth Reply with quote

Hello fellow C-Brats,
I recently purchased a 2004 22 cruiser. I inspected the port below the porta potti and discovered some wet foam under the V-berth area. In reading some forums found on the C-Brat site, it seems that may be a problem with the installation of the stem guard (brass keel guard) using long screws OR leaky anchor rode storage locker drain tubes. I am of the opinion that I would like to rectify both potential problems. I have some questions for you as it pertains to this as I am doing the repairs myself (no marine speciality repair shops nearby). Should I remove the brass stem guard, epoxy the screw holes, epoxy seal the strip and cover with a keel guard (or keel shield) PVC product? Or should I replace the brass keel guard by inverting it to provide for fresh substrate to screw into the bottom after sealing up old holes with epoxy? Then cover the brass with a PVC keel guard as I frequent beaches on occassion. Should I remove the wet foam? Does it affect the positive bouyancy of the vessel if I remove it? I've heard the new C-dory's come with access hatches and storage under the V-berth (no foam). Is there a known method to dry out the foam in the V-berth area? What size should the correct screws be?
As for the anchor locker drain, I understand that overdrilling the hole, epoxy the edges and bond a piece of tygon tubing through the clam shell should fix the problem?
Chars,
Grazer
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, we had the same problem with our 22 the first year. We had the factory fix it for us as it was still under warranty. The factory removed the brass strip and the screws. Then they re filled the holes with epoxy, re drilled and attached the brass strip again. This will work but so will just removing the strip and adding the bow guard.

Now to dry the foam we had a inspection plate installed under the port-a potty in the v-berth. Sounds like you have one already. Then we removed the foam in that area and parked the boat with the bow up so any water would drain to that spot. I just hit it with a shop vac every hour and then every day until it was dry. I also so would remove one of the foam fill plugs on top of the v-berth ( these where uses to pour in the two part foam) and stuck a shop vac in to it set to blow air in. I would only do this for a hour or so at a time while I was in the boat watching it.

Later on I removed the foam and installed three large gear locker doors in the v-berth. One of the better improvements I did to the boat. Dont worry about the lost of weight in the bow by the removal of the foam. You wife will quickly fill the storage area with even more weight then you removed.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't invert the strip--not made that way Agree remove it, drill out holes, fil with epoxy and screw with shorter screws, and proper sealant (5200)

I have not used a keelguard--if you are beaching it multiple times a season it is probably worthwhile. for the occasional soft sand-not necessary.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Grazer

City/Region: Yukon
State or Province: YT
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Horse
Photos: Grazer
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Storage lockers sounds like a good idea. Any worries about compromising the strength of the v-berth platform itself with the foam removed? Should one reinforce with plywood stringers and make compartments once the foam is removed?
As for the brass strip repair, Bob you said to re-drill and fill with epoxy. Do you have to overdrill and fill so you have bedding material for the shorter screws to bit into? Is there a skin in which one can undercut and fill with epoxy for better adhesion and strength?
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you do not need to reenforce the vberth at all. The glass is fairly think in that area. I weight 220 and susan weights less and we never even felt the vberth area flex while sleeping or moving in there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: