The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

security alarm draining batterie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DodgeRam

City/Region: Vancouver Isl. CANADA
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SeaRam
Photos: SeaRam
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: security alarm draining batterie Reply with quote

I have a alarm install on my boat that is on at night. It is draining my batterie during the week, I believe that it is normal. For know I have a small portable charger that restore my batterie , on 2 amps charge. I have 2 Optima blue top batterie and might get one more later . The 2 batteries are starter & house batteries . Witch batterie charger would you recommend that is fairly price? Gary
Chuck S

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Amelia Anne
Photos: Amelia Anne
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many watts does this critter draw?

I had a fume detector in the bilge of an inboard boat which would kill the batter in a week. Typical low capacity Optima battery may only have 30 useful amp hours capacity (until the voltage drops to below 10.5) and with, say, a small 6 watt draw that's 1/2 amp or 12 amp hours per day. Battery is gone in 3 days or less.

Optimas are great for resisting the pounding of high speed or parachute drops Wink , otherwise a large Group 31 deep cycle will serve you better.

A good rule of thumb published by Spa Creek Electronics several years ago: Useful amp hours equals Reserve Capacity divided by 2.4. A so-called 80 amp hour Group 24 battery will have a RC of about 120 and only give you 50 useful amp hours -- and only if it was fully charged.

-- Chuck
Minnow

City/Region: East Amwell
State or Province: NJ
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Minnow
Photos: Minnow
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THis is the charger that the factory uses. http://www.foreandaftmarine.com/85-2611.htm I also installed this unit on my last boat, and it worked flawlessly, even throughout winter lay-up, when I didn't bother to remove the batteries. Just keep it plugged in, and forget about it, the batteries won't overcharge. If you're installing shore power on a crowded dock, don't forget the galvanic isolator. It will block stray DC currents, yet allow AC fault currents to pass.
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For that type of problem I would install a solar charger. Even though we don't get too much sun up here in the PNW I still think it would be good enough to replace the charge that is being drawn by the alarm.
DodgeRam

City/Region: Vancouver Isl. CANADA
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SeaRam
Photos: SeaRam
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank's Minnow that batterie charger is well price, and sound like it is working good for you, sold on that one. Where did you install it? I am planning to install shore power after fishing is over later this fall. I really love those Optima , I bought the one's that are call Troll Fury they come in a nice plastic box that I mounted between the 2 gas tanks it fit perfectly , even stop the tank from bulging. Raise them up 5'' on top of the drain hole with stratoboard you do not see any wires look very good, one day I will post some pictures. PS Troll Fury only come dual both being starter & house. Gary
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: