The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Wanna Chat With Tom Cat Owner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
akalejandro

City/Region: Sitka
State or Province: AK
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Wanna Chat With Tom Cat Owner Reply with quote

Folks,
Looking hard at buying a Tom Cat. If there's a current owner of one out there, I sure would appreciate a contact for a good Q&A session. I'm a good contact for people looking for a fishing connection in Sitka.
Thanks,
Alexander

Forty Two

City/Region: Prince William Sound
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Black Cat
Photos: Barrel O Monkeys
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have I got a deal for you.

The Barrel O Monkeys travels out of Whittier Alaska. We have had it in the water August through October last year and all of June this year, so I must be a trained professional TC operator by now.

I am looking for some good fishing connections for southeast Alaska, and I would be glad to trade a boat ride for some information.

Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that is a deal I can not touch...but, I own one too and love it... and.. look forward to seeing/touching/measuring/driving out one of the new TC255s once it is out...which should be within a month or two.

Email me any questions you have and I will be glad to help where and when I can. My boat is FreeByrd in the photo albums of C-Brats.

Byrdman
Montgomery, AL
akalejandro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:37 am    Post subject: Right On Bob Reply with quote

So, I'm new here. Where do I get your email? Anytime you need a guide for Sitka, just bring the boat and give me about a week's heads-up. I teach, so week-days are out after Aug.18. allisonwonderland@gci.net
Cheers,
Alexander
akalejandro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:03 am    Post subject: General Questions: Reply with quote

1) I like big honkin' anchors cause we get some big honkin' winds in the winter time (I'm a late season deer hunt junky). I was concerned after reading a review that the anchor locker hatch might not accomodate anything over 13#.
2) Though I wouldn't make a habit of it, I may occasionally want to beach my boat. No problems? How about putting keel guards on each sponson?
3) I live in 24' SeaSport land (what all the charter guys drive). Maybe we're comparing apples and oranges, but range/economy wise - how do you think the cats stack up?
3) I want to do multi-day cruises with wife/kid/dogs - what's the comfort factor going to be on that?
4) I read somewhere that there isn't enough free-board (maybe wrong terminology - from the deck to the top of the rail) to be Coast Guard certified for a 6-pack? Know anything about that? I may want to do some limited chartering.
5) OK, a "255"? A new, bigger, Tom Cat? Is that what I'm hearing? And why isn't there any news on the company site?
Thanks for your feedback guys!
Cheers,
Alexander
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexander, first of all, welcome to the site, you'll find some of the nicest, most helpful folks here.

As for e-mail, this site hides addresses but if you click on the "email" button under someones signature at the bottom of the message, you can send them one. You can also copy yourself so you know it's gone. Then, if they respond directly to your e-mail, you'll have the address! Not a good idea to post yours in the open however, there are programs that scan sites looking for the @sign, meaning, usually an e-mail address.

Then you'll find yourself on lots of spam lists, if you haven't already.

You can also send Private Messages to folks, that's one of the other buttons.

As for the TC255, there's a thread somewhere on this site that talks about it and has pix also.

Again, welcome!

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexander,

We have owned a TomCat for about two years now. Moving up to the TC255 in Oct. when our #4 hull is schedueled to be completed. The TC24 will only be avaliable as previously owned boat. They stopped TC24 production about 9 months ago. We have used our TC24 for about 200 hrs. The size and capabilites are great for a family of 3 plus a dog. No problem with the freeboard. We traveled a lot with a 25 Skipjack in Mexico and were usually able to outperform it in rough water.

Would like to do the BC coast and maybe all the way to the south east next spring and summer in the new TC255. Could get all the way to Sitka.

Brent and Dixie

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
katkt

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Katie Kat
Photos: Katie Kat
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

akalejandro,

I don't think the beach shoes(keel gard) will work on the Tomcat because of the sharp angle of the prow(s). I'd be interested in anyone else's input regarding an improvement along these lines.
Forty Two

City/Region: Prince William Sound
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Black Cat
Photos: Barrel O Monkeys
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: General Questions: Reply with quote

akalejandro wrote:
1) I like big honkin' anchors cause we get some big honkin' winds in the winter time (I'm a late season deer hunt junky). I was concerned after reading a review that the anchor locker hatch might not accomodate anything over 13#.
2) Though I wouldn't make a habit of it, I may occasionally want to beach my boat. No problems? How about putting keel guards on each sponson?
3) I live in 24' SeaSport land (what all the charter guys drive). Maybe we're comparing apples and oranges, but range/economy wise - how do you think the cats stack up?
3) I want to do multi-day cruises with wife/kid/dogs - what's the comfort factor going to be on that?
4) I read somewhere that there isn't enough free-board (maybe wrong terminology - from the deck to the top of the rail) to be Coast Guard certified for a 6-pack? Know anything about that? I may want to do some limited chartering.
5) OK, a "255"? A new, bigger, Tom Cat? Is that what I'm hearing? And why isn't there any news on the company site?
Thanks for your feedback guys!
Cheers,
Alexander

1 - My TC does not have an anchor locker. The anchor stores on the bow roller and the line stores in a line locker, thru one of those anchor winch doors (not really convenient when pulling the anchor by hand).
2 - Don't know.
3 - Two people is great, three adults is a little cramped for multi-day cruising.
4- There is a bright yellow TC operated as a charter by a guy called 'Banana Bob' - I think he operates out of Seward. I saw him a couple of times last summer carrying 4 or 5 salmon fishermen.
5 - The 255 is supposed to be the new improved TC. I hope to see photos soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: