Inflatable for c dory 22

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkswor

City/Region: tok
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Missy marie
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Inflatable for c dory 22 Reply with quote

Was reading the info on inflatables. One guy said to check out the protaboats, which I did. Was wondering if anyone uses these.
It looks stable and light, but how would one put it together when needed for use. Looks difficult. Only way I see is to pull it behind which would defeat the purpose.
However I like the idea better than inflatable, but dont think it would work.
Any responses?
Jim
bluegene

City/Region: Eugene
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lucille
Photos: Lucille
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Porta-Bote. I just bought a 2.5 hp Suzuki from Porta-Bote so they sent their boat brochure.

The 8' weighs 68 lbs, not bad, but could be a problem getting it on top. It seems a rack on top would be necessary since it is hard material. I don't use a rack for my inflatable as it is is soft so it won't scratch. And, as pointed out, there is the problem of erecting a folded boat while "at sea". The inflatable can pretty much be shoved off the top, easily land next to the mother boat and float ok. Also, I doubt if that boat would be as stable as my 8' inflatable with a 5' beam and 16" chambers. Anyway, I did think about it, too. The Porta-Bote would be great for a land passenger vehicle with a roof rack.

BTW - The 2.5 Suzuki cost $708, free shipping.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Porta-Boats have been around a long time. I've seen a few in use, though not owned any and here are a couple of free comments.

First, when folded they're log and thin, perfect for laying along the lifelines of a sailboat. Not so handy for a C-Dory, where it has to go on top of the cabin. When one deflates an inflatable, you can roll it up and store it in the cockpit. Second, they aren't as stable as an inflatable. I don't care what the pictures show.

Those 2 reasons led me to buy an inflatable, and then another, and then ....

I'm not sure how much those things cost. Anybody know?

Boris
chriscarrera

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Carrera
Photos: Carrera
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

west marine ru-260
bought it last year, seems fine.
51lbs pretty easy to hoist on the roof of the tomcat.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally do not like the Porta-bote--but some do. I have used transom type inflatables since 1967 (prior to that I used an Avon Red Seal--which has the tube/rounded transom. I have a 2.85 West Marine (by Avon) air floor, it will plane with me and the 3.3 hp 2 stroke Merc. The inflatable makes a great "fender" between boats if necessary. Inflatable boats like the slat floor Bombard AX 3 weight in the upper 30's and very easy to put on the roof. Alaska dinghies are also popular.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've had a Porta-bote, currently have an inflatable. For hauling around on the C-Dory, it is hard to beat an inflatable. You would be hard-pressed to assemble a Porta-bote anywhere on the C-Dory. Where the Porta-bote excels: it rows better than an inflatable, and (best feature) it is virtually indestructible (you can run it onto rocks or oyster shells and not do damage beyond a scratch). We used the Porta-bote on our sailing trimaran, and it was a good match (could put it folded on the nets and assemble it there). I found the Porta-bote to be stable in use, as well. Just no great place to put it on the C-Dory.

The Porta-bote folks said the boat would plane with a 5 hp motor - that was not our experience. The movement of the boat is somewhere between an inflatable and a hard dinghy... it kind of "slithers" over waves. That can be a bit unnerving when you first see it, but it works and is a good ride.

Pluses and minuses, but the big question comes down to: where you gonna put it on a C-Dory?

Best wishes,
Jim B.

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent a long time, and a lot of research, mostly towards the Porte-Bote because it has some really great features. It is virtually indestructible, quite stable, and does row in the desired direction. It folds flat, and even folded up, it still floats. Yes it is heavier than my donut boat. Yes it would be heavy on the cabin top, and yes it would be a pain to assemble in a 22, and yes it could tow but that comes with it's own set of challenges. Fact is, it is a great boat for a motor home or sail boat, and fact remains it takes more room than we have on the C-Dory to put it together.

The Alaskan donut is a very durable, slightly lighter, and every bit as servicable as the Porte-Bote, albeit it does not row as good. It's special plus is the donut shape, and the omnidirectional flotation provided.

Good luck with your choice, and enjoy.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Is it this or this

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never had a fold aboat but have had seveal different inflatables. we settled on a inflatable with a blow up floor and keel. it rows like a dream. We have seveal motors for it but most of the time we just row to shore as its so easy. When we had a slate floor it was a different story. Yes it rowed but to took a lot more effort and did not track well at all. Yours was bught used and I would never buy one new. They just want to much and a used one is half the cost. mine is about 7.5 ft long and 8o lbs ?? but I can still get it on and off the boat at anchor. but for a 22cd I would get a smaller one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Dinghys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: