The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Permatrim---thumbs up or thumbs down?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils
View previous topic :: View next topic  
letitride

City/Region: San Jose
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: No Limits
Photos: Letitride
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Best modification / upgrade, a completely new handeling, feeling and ride quality is significately improved, amazing difference......in 2-3 ft chop

"THANK YOU C-BRATS!!"
jack keifer

City/Region: Boise
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Squirt
Photos: C-Squirt
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: permatrim and trolling plates Reply with quote

Recently we replaced out 22 cruiser with a 16 cruiser. It is equipped with a Permatrim. Operatiion will be in lakes and reservoirs, with some fishing. I intend to just run the single 50. I am asking if it is possible to add a trolling plate to the Permatrim or will I have to remove it?
Thanks
Jack
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: permatrim and trolling plates Reply with quote

jack keifer wrote:
Recently we replaced out 22 cruiser with a 16 cruiser. It is equipped with a Permatrim. Operatiion will be in lakes and reservoirs, with some fishing. I intend to just run the single 50. I am asking if it is possible to add a trolling plate to the Permatrim or will I have to remove it?
Thanks
Jack

Jack-

I've not done this with a 16 or a 50, but with larger motors, and several different hydrofoils.

I'm going to say yes, it's possible, providing you use reasonable judgement as to how much load will be placed on the back of the Permatrim.

Be sure you use a trolling plate with an automatic release mechanism, so that if you attempt to go full throttle and forget to release the trolling plate, it will not overload the Permatrim and snap it off, or damage your anti-ventilation plate.

As you probably know, the various trolling plates have different spring down and release mechanisms. One I had from Cabela's would break 3/16" diameter brass pins if you failed to release the manual operated catch mechanism!

You will, at some point, fail to remember to do the release operation unless you have magical memory powers beyond those of mortal fishing souls.

Good Luck!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a Cobra The edge Pro Planing and Stabilizer Plate, stainless steel on my 150. I think it has less drag and better performance then a permatrim.

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

breausaw wrote:
I installed a Cobra The edge Pro Planing and Stabilizer Plate, stainless steel on my 150. I think it has less drag and better performance then a permatrim.

Jay- That's the one ("The Edge" by Cobra) that I used on my Minn-Kota Engine Mounted Electric Trolling Motor set up, which gives one some real slow trolling speed options, especially for lakes and trout. It's another alternative to a trolling plate.

See: Engine Mounted Electric Trolling Motor

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
Connie Fisher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=18037

Regards,

Ron Fisher
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After our Comox trip I've decided to install one on our 25. We rode very heavy for this trip. I experimented w/ various trims in differing seas and even moved what I could forward. Still, I could never get the bow down; there's a lot of weight back there: 100 gl fuel, 25 gl water, our cooler, two engines... We also put out a wake you could surf on.

So I've been communicating w/ Permatrim USA re: the correct model for our boat/engine. We have a 2006 DF150 Suzuki and it has a water intake for cooling under the AV plate. Here's what Andrew at Permatrim US said:

Quote:
We don’t have a undermount for that style gearcase. I have been chatting with Permatrim NZ, and they are going to ramp up and make some new models to accommodate that engine, and others that have the under AV plate water intakes. Honda is doing that……Evinrude too.

Your options are either go with a top mount smaller style, or wait for our order to arrive from NZ which might be another month or so

These guys have been great in communicating and I cannot say enough about their customer service. I had originally ordered a plate off their website by just using the descriptions. They immediately contacted me and told me it would be too large. A series of back & forth e-mails followed while they tried to figure out which model would best suit our needs.

Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick note to second what Mark says about Andrew at PT USA. Very good to work with. Prompt replies, well informed.
localboy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sipped the Kool-Aid. Laughing

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album1736&id=Permatrim_005&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

I hope it's worth the money, install time and the 10 holes in the anti-cavitation plate. I'll test it on my next day off.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems with the DF 150 & Permatrim on the two on the Tom cat!
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And they are still working great on Thataway! And helped a lot on Captain's Cat with the smaller DF 115's.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
bluegene

City/Region: Eugene
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Lucille
Photos: Lucille
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: permatrim Reply with quote

We just returned from our fourth annual PNW cruise in our 22 cruiser. I installed the Permatrim just before our trip. I found there was a trade-off between speed and comfort. With the Permatrim up and the bow up, it was bumpier in some conditions. I would lower it at these times, the bow would come down and the ride was less bumpy and the speed would be reduced about 1 to 1.5 kts. In less chop I could raise the bow again an go faster and presumably save fuel. My wife really liked it, especially compared to our previous trips.
localboy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After nearly a week in the boat I'd have to say I believe the Permatrim has helped. Granted, it's all somewhat anecdotal, but the ride seemed to be the same with just the Permatrim (no trim tabs) as before, but before we had to trim the tabs all the way down to get a comparable trim/ride.

We used the trim tabs only for lateral balance the entire trip. I found that when we were heavy, a full or nearly full down engine trim, for flat water, worked best. Appeared about 2-3" of water ran over the Permatrim at about 12-14 knots, with full fuel/water tanks, a cooler, batteries etc in the stern/cockpit. If I trimmed it up under these conditions, I watched the GPS speed quickly bleed off, up to 1.5-2 knots w/ only a small adjustment.

Meredith's input was this: even w/ the trim tabs up fully she could now see over the dash/bow without stretching her neck or raising up in the pilot's seat as she had to do before.

Like I said, anecdotal, but I'm happy w/ the install.
ferret30

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Lily Pad
Photos: Lily Pad
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear. I have one coming today for our 22!
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ferret30 wrote:
Good to hear. I have one coming today for our 22!

Okay, I got you beat on this one; installed mine a few days ago Mr. Green

For some reason, even though I'm comfortable drilling (necessary) holes into the boat itself, taking a drill to my Yamaha's pristine AV plate did cause me some angst. All went fine though (once I got over the mental anguish and just did it). I probably would have procrastinated further, but I had ordered a new prop, it arrived, and I wanted to see it in place - "install Permatrim" was ahead of it on the list.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: