Chuck S

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Amelia Anne
Photos: Amelia Anne
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys making Canadian landfalls? How do you work your return thru customs to the US?

Or is this another thing ignored in your waters? Not sarcastic, I'm truly interested in the procedure. Canadian waters start 30 miles north of me.

-- Chuck
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian water starts about a mile north of us. We use the Canadian CanPass to legally enter Canada without checking in and, in fact, were just spot-checked by authorities last week and everything was in order.

US officials in our area have recently made a big deal over the need for returning US citizens to have in their possession an I-68 permit. I used to get these some years ago until one time when the agent couldn't readily find the forms in his desk drawer and mumbled something about not really needing one in the first place. Upon questioning him, he said the I-68 permit is an Immigration form and that Immigration Laws do not apply to US citizens (i.e.- we are not immigrants). As soon as it is determined you are a US citizen, they can do nothing to you under Immigration law. I haven't gotten one of their permits since, nor do I intend to despite their recent threats of dire consequences. We have, however, started carrying our passports with us.

Customs law, I believe, is a different matter and here I might have my butt hanging out a bit. But then again, we don't often make landfall when in Canadian waters (although I don't really know if that matters) and if we were to, US Customs would have a hard time proving it upon our return.

I guess what it boils down to, is every geographic area is probably a bit different. I read the requirements about the need for licensing a VHF when cruising in foreign waters, but that only applies if one calls at a foreign port or talks with a foreign station. There are no foreign ports on the Canadian side of our lake and I almost never talk to anyone on the VHF anyway, so I guess I don't need a license. Those of you cruising from Washington State to Vancouver or Victoria might well be advised to have one. Especially if you're piloting and 85-footer!

Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points all - and looks like you are safe-safe. Different story here of course. This is a major area of drug/people entry -- both CA and US folks KNOW where you are and where you've been and keep running tracks on everything that moves. One of my favorite halibut holes is 1/2 CA 1/2 US. Got boarded by CA - I told him I was staying in US waters. He checked his big fancy machine -- "not always, eh."

I've butted heads with them a few times before - worked in CA for quite a while and lived at Pt. Roberts... they always seem to win. Rolling Eyes

Dusty (the coward)

Last edited by Sawdust on Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck S

Here is a link that will answer your questions about the upper left coast Customs requirements.

http://www.waggonerguide.com/

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're absolutely right, Dusty; they do always seem to win. And I've also noticed that it's much easier to talk tough when you're not staring down the barrel of a riot shotgun! LOL Some of that stuff in the link to Customs requirements in the NW made me cringe; I hope they never get that tough here. This may be one benefit of living in the boondocks. To paraphrase Mark Twain, when the world comes to an end, I want to be in International Falls because we're always twenty years behind the times!
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On our Memorial Day trip into Canadian waters, we tried to check in with US Customs by phone with our PIN per prior practice on our return, and were asked if we had a Canpass or I68 for each person on board (of course we didn't). We were directed to check in in-person at a US Customs dock, which we did...a big PITA, they know who we are, this has nothing to do with "national security" as far as I can see. But arguing with this is like farting in the wind...since Blaine, WA, is a manned entry, open 24 hours a day, we will just put up with the nonsense. Like taking our tennis shoes off at the airport, only a good deal more inconvenient.
Nancy H wrote:
Chuck S
Here is a link that will answer your questions about the upper left coast Customs requirements.

http://www.waggonerguide.com/

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Fun Patrol

City/Region: Hemet
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Fun Patrol
Photos: Fun Patrol
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Radio licenses Reply with quote

In the U.S. the FCC has decided to dump marine VHF into the same catagory as CB...no license needed...Except, if you travel OUTSIDE the US, then...(you figure the logic), you need as license for the VHF. The good news is that this is the same license that you will get for your radar and marine HF SSB, so remember to check all the boxes, even if you don't as yet have all this pricey stuff onboard.

It is also true that you need a restricted radio-telephone operators license for a few things, marine SSB as an example. But, more good news, this is the same LIFETIME license you got when you got your private pilot's license, or ran a taxi, or...several other things.

For ham radio, you will need a Mexican reciprocal license..good for 6 months or less...whatever time is left on your "tourist card"...currently that runs about $75 for 6 months....BUT, more good news...nobody ever checks! So, pay or don't pay, your choice. Canada has a full reciprocal arrangement with the US, no paper, no money, no hassle...

Have fun out there!

Roy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: