The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Draining the water tank?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picture of one of the two faucet "thingys" I tried has been added to the "Kingfisher" album Page #5. This one does not shut off fully (which reminds me to switch off the pump!) The other one had a longer (plastic) lever and shut off fully but had a plastic body which instantly stripped the threads so it has gone to faucet heaven.

Merv

jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: faucet h2O Reply with quote

I didn't explain fully when putting in water pump put in a faucet that you can open and close just like at home .The pump becomes pressurized only when needed . Also you put a T in and and put in a hose bib in the cockpit this way you have a shower or fresh water cleanup .
00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will find that when you close the faucet, the pump will pressurize until the built-in pressure switch turns it off. The line remains pressurized.
When you open the faucet again, this drops the pressure and the pump starts to run again.

My point about switching the pump off at the breaker is to avoid leaving the line pressurized. I have read a number of reports indicating that this can lead to premature pump failure. Even if it does not, it make sense to me not to have a potential leak source under pressure when you do not need it.

A friend of mine has now (twice) pumped the contents of his water system into the bilge of his Hatteras. Joke is that he is actually a plumber! (not called Joe)

Merv
jerry97230

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C NILE
Photos: C NILE
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my 22, I just unscrew the sight tube hose from the bulkhead and lay it outside the door and it will drain the tank into the cockpit where the bilge pump finishes the job.
Jerry
bluegene

City/Region: Eugene
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lucille
Photos: Lucille
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: draining water tank Reply with quote

Haven't seen this so far... I feed clear plastic tubing through the water tank fill hole, then use my siphoning skills acquired as a teenager needing gas, suck the water into tube, thumb over the tube then quickly lower the end of the tube [boat is on trailer] take thumb off end of tube and let the water flow. When it won't siphon more I finish with the hand pump on the sink. Quick and easy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: