View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gene&Mary

City/Region: Seattle/Center Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Linnea
Photos: Linnea
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Gulf Islands Trip Reply with quote

We plan on going up to the Gulf Islands July 1 thru July 4. Does anyone have any suggestions for nice public marinas? Maybe some out of the way marinas that might not be crowded over the 4th?
Luna C

City/Region: Lake Goodwin/Center Island
C-Dory Year: 2019
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Panthera
Photos: Luna C
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wallace Is.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the third time I have typed this with out getting it posted. I hope it works this time.

We have only been up that way once, but here are a few places to stay.
Start by checking in to customs at poets cove resort in bedwell harbor. http://www.poetscove.com/. Two hot tubs and a heated pool, Great showers and an ice cream shop

If in the Ladysmith area stop at page point marina. We did not stay there but did get to shower there. It’s also the home of "geronimo" of American cup fame. Very interesting. http://www.pagepointinn.com/.

Next on the list would be telegraph harbor marina on thetis island. Nice and quiet with good showers and a winery in walking distance. The owners were really nice people from Marysville who sold everything and got this place a few years ago. Lucky them. http://www.telegraphharbour.com/.

I also just found out that there is a dingy dock for butchart gardens in Sydney. http://www.butchartgardens.com/.

I hope this helps.

Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene & Mary,
We've used the dinghy dock to visit Butchart Gardens as Tom suggested. Its a great day stop. If you are in to anchoring at all Todd Inlet just in behind Butchart Gardens is very sheltered and a good place to overnight.

A couple of lesser marinas that may be somewhat less crowded try Genoa Bay and possibly Chemainus. Chemainus is an interesting visit as most of the building have murals painted on them and Genoa Bay is know for its funky arts and crafts.
I can't vouch for either from personal experience but they've both had a write up in Pacific Yachting which claimed they were good to visit.

It will be a pretty busy weekend because July 1st is Canada Day so lots of us will be out cruising on the weekend as well.

Happy cruising
Ron
[/url]
Ron on Meander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene & Mary,
I was just looking through the Waggoner Cruising Guide for 2005. If you don't have it get it. It will probably be the best $20 you spend on your trip. I lists all the places Tom & I have mentioned and a ton more info besides. Pretty well every public marina and anchorage in Puget Sound, San Juans and Gulf Islands are listed.
Ron
Ron on Meander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene & Mary,
I was just looking through the Waggoner Cruising Guide for 2005. If you don't have it get it. It will probably be the best $20 you spend on your trip. I lists all the places Tom & I have mentioned and a ton more info besides. Pretty well every public marina and anchorage in Puget Sound, San Juans and Gulf Islands are listed.
Ron
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt very seriously that you will find a good anchorage, let alone a marina, that is not pretty well populated that weekend. Look for us on Daydream, we will be out July 1st through 3rd (have company coming for the 4th, drats, old friends from NJ we haven't seen in 30 years, oh, well...) I almost hate to share this place it is so neat, but check out Reef Cove, between Tumbo and Cabbage Islands (read the entry for either Tumbo or Cabbage in Waggoner). There are about a dozen buoys there, but you could also drop the hook, there is quite a bit of room. A dinghy is pretty much a necessity, no docks, and Cabbage Island especially is worth a walk around.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Last edited by Pat Anderson on Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Met Bob Hale at Blakely Marina this weekend. He is on his yearly journey to update his guide. Blakely was his first stop.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the waggoners guide ,which is pretty good, but I much prefer the Dreamspeacker cruising guide books by Anne and Laurence Yeadon-jones. You have to buy 4 books to cover the same area as waggoners but its alot more fun to read. the hand drawn maps of each and every port are just great. Where to anchor,when to stren tie, where to brake out the kayaks. what streams are good for bathing in. just so much more then the name of the port and what cb channal to call on. waggoners loses to much trying to get so much into one book. I have waggoners and keep it on the boat but I love to read yeadon-jones. They are 20 bucks each on amazon. I just got two for fathers day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: