The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

What Motors!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris Bulovsky

City/Region: Washburn
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Photos: SCOUT
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject: What Motors! Reply with quote

Twins or a Single with a Kicker....that is the Question. I need to Slow troll for Lakers, they like a seductive slow presentation. ( not to sound like Al Linder) .Also, it must be quiet.
Dependability is a given. Give me the skinny boys!

Thanks
Christopher Bulovsky
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris-

Sounds like you need a REALLY QUIET MOTOR and a STEALTHY APPROACH!!!

Check out my Engine Mounted Trolling Motor set up under Outboards and Propulsion Systems in the Library Forum:

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=1263

Let me know if you have questions. Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: What Motors! Reply with quote

Chris Bulovsky wrote:
Twins or a Single with a Kicker....that is the Question. I need to Slow troll for Lakers, they like a seductive slow presentation. ( not to sound like Al Linder) .Also, it must be quiet.

Thanks
Christopher Bulovsky

I have twin Honda 40's. I got twins since I wanted to be sure I was able to return home at reasonable speed if one engine fails and I'm far from shore. The slowest I can troll on one engine is 1.8kts. I just got a drift sock for X-mas - mostly to slow me down in winds for drift fishing - and that can be used to reduce the speed when trolling.

However, if you're not too worried about being able to return on the kicker and you need to troll slower than 1.8kts, the single with the kicker is probably the better option. Definitely cheaper and I think lighter too.

While we're on the topic, could somebody chime in and let me know what the top speed is wide open on a 9-10 horse kicker?

Roger on the SeaDNA

Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roger, My Johnson 15 reaches maximum horsepower @ 6250 rpm. My OMC Tech advised me to prop it like a 9.9. So, @ 5500 rpm I achieve 6.5 mph. Pete

C-Otter

City/Region: Superior
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: C-Otter
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What Motors! Reply with quote

Chris Bulovsky wrote:

Thanks
Christopher Bulovsky

I use a Nissen 9.8 two stroke with electric start and 20 inch shaft for trolling Lake Trout on Lake Superior. Very quite, 65 pounds, 1.3 gallons for 8 hours, $1,600 and will push my 1985 22 foot Angler at 5-6 mph in flat water for back-up. I have over 300 hr. on motor, runs like a clock.

I have it on a adjustable bracket on the portside using Easy Stear and fish Lake Superior about 160 hours a year.

Jack on Sea Otter
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What Motors! Reply with quote

Chris Bulovsky wrote:
I need to Slow troll for Lakers, they like a seductive slow presentation.

Heavy trolling tilts things towards single+kicker, in my book.

There may be things you can do to slow down a single 40/45 when trolling, but I'd rather put a bunch of trolling hours on a less expensive kicker engine. You'll also use far less gas.

Chris Bulovsky

City/Region: Washburn
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Photos: SCOUT
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As fate will have it. I had ordered twin Honda 50s. They can't get them any time soon not sure when. Seems to be a bit of a shortage. My dealer called and said he can get a 90 and a 9.9 kicker. After reading probably should have started with them anyway.
So what prop size/ pitch with a Honda 90? Also what kind of steering do you use when trolling with a kicker? I have read about brackets, is this essential?
Thanks

Chris Bulovsky
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris there are multiple ways to go with steering for your kicker. One is to use the bar between the main and the kicker. But best is to install a Nautamatic TR1 Gold Auto Pilot.

I was on a friends boat today on Puget Sound fishing for Kings and another friend alongside us had the TR1. It has a 25 foot cord for it and most of the time he wasn't touching it at all. He would just point the boat where he wanted to go and then worried about watching other boats and his lines. Totally awsome set up for fishing. You can also have it control the kicker speed as well. Unfortunately the autopilot doesn't come cheap!

I suppose you could use a regular autopilot as well as the steering arm to get a similar effect and then use a TrollMaster to control the motor speed.

Adeline

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris, Here is thw way Adeline came equipped from the factory. It allows me to steer from the helm. However, I don't have remote throttle and shift. It has worked great for me.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adeline-

For those interested in your set-up, could you tell us:

1. if there are any manufacturer's name / and or model numbers on the cross-connector rod, and

2. what the black fitting is on the front of the kicker and its function?

One can see the ball joints at either end of the rod along with the length adjustment threads at the kicker end, but I can't quite see if the black casting (?) at the kicker end has any other function other than to serve to attach to the front of the kicker steering bracket and move the ball-joint attachment point out conveniently in front of the engine.

Chris-

I know we've discussed some of these systems before, and by putting "steering rod" and similar topics in the Search function a lot of discussions should pop up. Also try looking in the Library under Motor Control Systems for topics on the subject.

Cabela's makes a front mounted connecting rod that many have found very useful.

Others have designed and built their own. The traditional rear coupled steering bars are also popular.

Which system works best for you will be largely determined by the exact combination of main engine, kicker, existing steering set up, and intended uses for the kicker. There's a lot to consider and sort through! Joe.
Adeline

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For those interested in your set-up, could you tell us:

1. if there are any manufacturer's name / and or model numbers on the cross-connector rod,
No, there is no manufacturers name on anything. However, I've seen the same connecting rod at Fishermans Marine Supply in Portland and at other stores.
Quote:
and

2. what the black fitting is on the front of the kicker and its function?
I've never seen the attacment piece anywhere except on Adeline. As I recall, Mark Toland told me that they were custom made for C-Dories. They allow either or both motors to be tilted.
DodgeRam

City/Region: Vancouver Isl. CANADA
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: SeaRam
Photos: SeaRam
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Chris, have you looked at the new 2005 Yamaha mid range serie. IF you did not maybe you should. I got 2 new 50hp 2005 EFI, so far with all the test have been doing the result is VERY good. My boat has dual station control and steering in the cockpit. I also installed factory RPM control. It is a switch that allows you the choice of RPM for trolling , AT 50rpm each time you press the button between 900 to 500 rpm, love it . PS the switch is for the tiller handle so you have to use your imagination to install ( swithches are not expensive) . I live on Vancouver Island so my choice of twin was not difficult to make , cause here on the Island we have some very fast currents,where I had some ruff time to get out of with some of my past experience with 15hp and broken main engine on an 18 footer. GARY SEA RAM
Lil Rascal

City/Region: Thousand Oaks
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Lil' rascal
Photos: Lil' rascal
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would stay away from Suzuki. There warranty service sucks.

Scott
Luna C

City/Region: Lake Goodwin/Center Island
C-Dory Year: 2019
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Panthera
Photos: Luna C
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better stay away form Johnson too! (White Suzuki!) I have been very happy with my 2004 90hp Suzuki. 145 hrs down and 855 or more to go!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: