View previous topic :: View next topic  
CAVU

City/Region: Spokane
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: CAVU
Photos: CAVU
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Vancouver Island West Coast Fishing Reply with quote

I have already started packing the camper and boat for a month long trip to Ucluelet. Any other C-Brats plan to be in the area? I will be at Island West Resort at Ucluelet from 8 Jul to 8 Aug. Digger on the Snoopy-C are you planning to hit Bamfield again? If we could get a few more C-Dories up there no salmon would be safe!
C-Sick

City/Region: Renton
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Gratitude
Photos: C-Sick
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Leave A Few Salmon Reply with quote

I am thinking about putting in at Pt. Alberney and going out into the Broken Islands the second week in August. I have a group of friends who will be spending the week kayaking. Where do you put in at?

Sounds like you have GRAND month in store.

CAVU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Sick,
I launch and stay at Island West in Ucluelet. I like to stay in my truck camper and keep the boat in the water at the marina. I have been going there for 15 years and always get the same camp spot overlooking the marina. Makes a very pleasant trip. I usually have 4 or 5 different couples or groups who come up and fish a few days with me. The Broken Group is a very beautiful area. For the last few years there has been a fishing closure in the islands to protect depressed rockfish species. However there is usually good fishing around the perimeter somewhere. Some of my company gets seasick easily and we can usually find them some salmon back near the islands out of the swells. The run from Port Alberni to Barkley Sound is very beautiful. You will have a ball. If you have time make a slight detour and troll on the backside of Diplock Island. I have often found some small chinook there.
digger

C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Sik
Photos: Snoopy-C
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject: Snoopy-C in Bamfield Reply with quote

Yup, Ken, we'll be there July 25 through the 29th. Stay at the Best Western the 24th, and head back home the 30th. I'll try and see if we can get over to see you one day while we are there. Hope to see you, and hope that the fishing is good. Haven't heard anything yet, have you?

Regards, Ron Laughing

gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, that sounds like fun! I would love to spend that much time up there! Make sure you catch a few Tyee's for me and take lots of pictures!

If I'm lucky I'll get the boat from Texas about the time you take off. Then I'll have to pull the outdrive and replace the bellows and UJoint, put new batteries in and all new hoses and belts. Cross my fingers and hope to heck the motor will last another season. If not out it comes and we rebuild it. Otherwise it'll probably come out after September anyway. I really want to have it up and running before August so I can head to Sekiu and Neah Bay a few times.

CAVU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron,
No reports yet on the fishing. I always make a couple runs to Bamfield during my trip. I will have some company this year who have never been there. It is such a neat spot. Everyone I have ever taken there love it.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a CBGT in this??
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary-

Good luck with your engine project and fishing dates. Looks like a do-able fix-up for the time being!

Do you know how many hours are on the engine?

Is that a small block Chevy V-8 converted by Volvo, etc?

Have you considered going the stern bracket, large four cycle outboard replacement route? (a-la Haliegh's Comet.) The engine compartment would convert into a lot of possible uses: gas, water, or waste tank(s), fish box, etc. Would be a great (but not cheap) winter project if the engine and outdrive were both due for replacement.

I took a long look at your album ......very interesting boat! You'll have lots of fun with her!!! Looked at the CD-27 brochure on the last page, which describes the many different versions of the custom 27's. Have NEVER seen a picture or even heard of a BOWPICKER before! Stern cabin (reversed) and a big "Y" fork on the bow. Must be for laying and retrieving fishing nets?

Good Luck with the project! Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
digger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Give Me a Holler Reply with quote

Ken, when you come over Bamfield way, try hailing me on the radio. If I hear you, we'll meet somewhere if you'd like. Also, out on the water give me a shout. A lot of time we do fish in the legal areas around the outer islands such as Dianna. We do get on the north and west of Diplock frequently. If we are over in the Ucluelet area in the afternoon, we'll drop by the Marina and see if you are around. Today I'm trying to retrieve a bunch of GPS coordinates of the area. Went out this Tuesday, and the rain soaked my GPS 48, and lost the left 1/2 of the screen. Will try to download from it to a GPS 12 that I have so that I don't have to enter everything by hand. Regards, Ron
digger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Texas Boat Reply with quote

And Gary, congratulations on the big boat acquisition. I was really tempted to get it also, but I've rigged Snoopy-C with everything I need, and would hate to start completely over. Have a nice trip to Tx. and let us know when you are ready to start the demo rides. Ron
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ucluelet bound guys (lucky!!!)

My fishing partner just got back from 3 days at Bamfield. Filled the boat! Great halibut, salmon, ling, etc. Sorry I missed that one because that's my fishing area. Love Love Bamfield/Ucluelet area.

Dusty
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went out and fished the Tulalip bubble today and all I got for my efforts were a terrible sunburn! DOH. That's what happens when you fish in someone elses boat and don't have all the things stashed that you JUST MIGHT need. Like suntan lotion and a hat! We only got 1 shaker and never saw another single fish caught Sad

BTW: The 27 has a GM 4.3L 229CI V6 and a Penta 280 outdrive with a little over 1000 hours on it. So it is probably due a rebuild. If I were going to change from the outdrive I would put a Jet Pump and a Chev 350 in it rather than an outboard mainly because they are so easy to work on and need so little maintenance. But I don't need a C-Dory with a top speed of 50mph! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: