View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Valkyrie's Lake Erie cruise Reply with quote

Hi Brats,

This is not an epic adventure by any stretch, but Marcia and I have ten days on our home lake, Lake Erie, and are having a great time. We left our marina on the Ohio side on Tuesday and were headed to Pelee Island, ON, about a thirty-some mile run when we heard the weather advisory of severe thunderstorms. It was already blowing 20 plus and growing, but we couldn't see spending the next two days at OUR marina while on vacation.

Anyhow, we decided to run to South Bass Island to hide out for a few days until the weather decided to cooperate. The wind kept building on the 14 mile run and we surfed into the harbor on six-footers. I know this is not a big deal to a lot of Brats, but we had an audience! (Hey, it's not about us, it's about the boat.) Our waves are steep and close and one guy who came to check us out mentioned that the first thing that they saw was our radar, antennas and fishing rods on the arch and occasionally Valkyrie would appear.

The thing that made it especially satisfying was hearing about the boats that didn't leave, only to see a C-Dory 22 braving the weather that they didn't. Yes, the word stupid could also be employed here, but it was fun showing what a C-Dory can do.

From there we ran to Pelee Island, our original destination, spent. Night and then cruised across the big ship channels to Erieau Marina in Erieau, ON located on Rhondo Bay, an eleven square mile harbor. We went fishing today, trolling with Dipseys and caught two steelhead and one walleye. Not a limit, but dinner for a number of day. Weather is heading our way and we hope to go out again, if possible. We'll leave on Tuesday for Kelley's Island on the US side, about. 70 mile run. After a few days there is back to our marina.

Note: we have had more interest in our C-Dory than ever before due to the BOAT US piece on El and Bill. A least seven people have mentioned it and wanted to take a look at Valkyrie as a result. I enjoy talking about our favorite brand of boat, as does Marcia, but she is now able to spot the interested parties in advance and often rolls her eyes and takes Boomer for a long walk.

Regards,

Nick
"Valkyrie"
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing the trip with all of us. What a ride!
Rick from Maine

City/Region: No. Berwick
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're a Brave Man Nick. Aren't you afraid of setting off Airport metal detectors after eating fish from Lake Erie??

C-Dorys do give a thrilling ride when surfing down waves, especially waves as steep as the lake waves.

Rick from Maine
DanLogan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really awesome trip! Thanks for posting this amazing story here:)
Valkyrie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brats,

Our short cruise ended with much better weather than we started with. Our run back to US waters was great, especially for Lake Erie. Our course for Kelley's Island was SSW with 75 degree temps, beautiful sun, amazingly clear water and one footers out of the north. Marcia ran the boat most of the way, giving me time to kick back, take some pictures and enjoy the ride.
Four hours after leaving we arrived at our destination and for two days played tourist, even renting a golf cart for one day.

Side note: while at Erieau Marina in ON, the boat that garnered the most attention was a fifty foot Viking from MI that ran over for some fishing. I was talking with the six guys aboard about their better luck at fishing than ours when the talk turned to C-Dory's. A few came over to see Valkyrie, and then two more. The next day, one of our visitors came back to tell us that the Viking's owner commented about the danger of having a small boat
Like Valkyrie on Lake Erie. The guys then told him about El and Bill, the CD owners who had done the Great Loop and others who had run the Inside Passage. Gotta love it!

Rick: Lake Erie is markedly different from its condition in the 60's which many people remember. Unfortunately, there is mercury everywhere in our countries waters, but the fish consumption advisories for the Great Lakes waters are pretty much identical.

BTW: I just posted some recent pictures from our cruise in our album.

Regards,

Nick
Valkyrie"
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Valkyries Lake Erie cruise Reply with quote

Hi Nick, Yes I know I'm a year late but Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up and thanks for the account of your trip. I put out of Port Dover and have been from the Welland Canal to Long Point inner bay - including up Big Creek and the Grand River at Port Maitland and out the Long Point tip.

You shouldn't put down your exploits. I have heard of experienced mariners claiming that Lake Erie is the most feared of all the great lakes. The skipper of a 3 masted tall ship we met last year said he had never seen anything like it. 1 day last winter it was very rough and from the pier at Port Dover we could see 7 or 8 freighters lined up ( a few miles apart ) out on the lake. I'm not sure but I suspect they were waiting it out in open water before closing in on the Welland Canal.

Some people joke that - if you have a problem on Lake Erie - you can walk home!! Laughing Unfortunately its shallow depth is what makes it dangerous.

Regards, Rob

Valkyrie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your comments and somewhat belated reply! LOL!

You are right about Lake Erie in all respects. With about 10,000 square miles it is the tenth largest lake in the world, but it is the shallowest Great Lake with an average depth of 65 feet and the western basin where we are is only about 35 feet deep, on an average. It also has more shipwrecks than any other Great Lake for that reason.

Back in the late 80's, in my sailing days, I cruised for two years as far south as Georgetown in the Bahamas, but my single worst weather day was the last - on Lake Erie. I covered 75 miles that day, under sail, and got hit by 5 lines of storms with winds up to 55 mph and half inch hail. Good old Lake Erie letting me know she was waiting for my return!

If we ever head your way I'll let you know. Please do the same if you head to the islands area.

Best,

Nick
"Valkyrie"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: