B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: smelt Reply with quote

For those that wonder what the deal is with smelt, here's some answers.
Most every winter smelt return from the ocean to spawn in many Columbia river tributaries. These fish are a slender, oily fish about 8-12" long and are harvested by the pound through the use of dip nets. Some people smoke or can them and eat them Sad most folks use them for sturgeon bait Smile

A few years ago I had a pack of students that loved smelt dipping but their folks banned them from bringing any more home. I put out the word that I would take all the smelt they could bring in ( what was I thinking). Yowza, I had students bringing dripping garbage bags full of smelt into my office, students bringing large coolers full of smelt in, in short, I soon had smelt coming out my ears (we're talking hundreds of pounds here).
Most of it was hauled down river for C-Brats to convert into sturgeon....I asked Mike repeatedly and always recieved the same answer " yes, I'll take all the smelt you can get me" little did he know that his freezer was about to get plum full the slimey buggers.

The last two years have been slim pickins for smelt runs (don't blame me) but maybe next year we can restock on bait. I still have some left for the great harvest of 03...which reminds me...I have to get that boxed up and mailed off to Joe and Dee

some more info- http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/Smelt.htm

and that's the deal on the smelt Smile

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Dr. Smelt:

Thanks for coming clean on the Great D-Dory Smelt Scandal and Freeze of 2003! As soon as the Governors of the states of Oregon and Washington can agree on your pardon, we'll try to get your "up the river" status improved and maybe you can join us as the Guest of Honor at our upcoming C-Dory Sturgeon Festival.

In the mean time, please keep your supply of smelt on ice with yourself in the can and out of general circulation with our more law abiding and upstanding C-Brat members, and especially the honorable recent contest winners.

Our thoughts are with you as you go through these turbulent times and we're all praying for your early release so the smelt can fulfill their God Intended Purpose. Please bring 'em all the the Sturgeon Festival, should you be so lucky! We're really praying more for the release of the smelt than your own sorry soul!. Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Helen O

City/Region: Cathlamet
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Helen O'
Photos: Helen O'
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI

The bait shop at Warrenton is selling frozen smelt for $8 per dozen. Fresh anchovies are $3.95 per pound (about 18 of the lil buggers per pound).
Last weekend we tried the fresh anchovies, but found that something was eating the little guys without us detecting it. I think it was crab. We switched to BC"s smelt, I had one sturgeon on shortly after, but lost it. Lyle T hooked up and boated a 43 incher a few minutes after that.
Those old BC smelt are still the best thing going. Thumbs Up

SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BC,
Thanks for the information and the interesting site. I have not heard of people using smelt for sturgeon bait around here in the Sacramento delta but maybe they do. I think I am glad I did not try any for dinner, sounds too oily for me!
Steve
Knotty C

City/Region: Vancouver, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Knotty C
Photos: Knotty C
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in that case, I think I will claim the prize....will you throw in a lesson in sturgeon fishing? I am, after all, the one who insisted that we purchase fishing gear to go along with the fishing boat Don chose. Despite all our efforts, we have yet to get a bite of either salmon or sturgeon (in season of course). We met a gentleman in Astoria last year who felt so sorry for us he gave us a salmon. Maybe this year with my winnings we can get something in the boat on our own line. Wink

Dee
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: