The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

It's Finished
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe its the angle Les but that canvas doesn't look very good. They are all some form of ugly I guess but you should look at lots of Cbrat albums and experiment with different angles and volumes. The canvas just doesn't look as proud at the rest of the boat. Keep refining....

We looked an many and came up with our own variation and I think you can do the same with the Marinaut. At least in my opinion, ours came out big and tight and purposeful looking while many of the King products and others I have seen on the same boat look a little ill.

Just leave a bimini on at the show, they all look better that way. Or do a permanent T-top bars off the roof type bimini. Some of those make me jealous.

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Les Lampman
Dealer

City/Region: Whidbey Island
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave wrote:
One of the things I really don't like on my boat is the long distance from the grab rails on the top of the cabin to the bow rail. I don't have the arm span to reach one from the other. Not pleasant in rough weather to let go on the way forward. Lengthening the bow rail would add safety to going forward.

Thanks Dave!

It's always a tricky thing that bow rail. When you have wide side decks on a boat a long bow rail (extending further aft) is usually a good thing. What I've found on smaller boats (and thus with more narrow side decks) is when you lengthen a bow rail (extend it aft) it can act as a trap point, and since the rail is usually lower aft than it is forward it's often times a perfect height to end up tail-over-teakettle and in the drink.

When the distance from the cabin side to the railing is too narrow to pass one foot around another you have to then depend on a very firm hand grip to ensure not losing your balance. I think it's safer to be able to keep your weight centered over your feet by not having a trap point and allowing movement of your hips and feet to maintain balance.

This of course while always maintaining the age old tradition of "one hand for the ship, one hand for yourself".

The reach from the forward most part of the Marinaut cabin top hand rail and the bow rail is not far. I'm 5' 10" tall without a particularly long reach.

Here's a photo to illustrate:

Thanks for the observation.

www.marinautboats.com
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats again, Dave. That thing is beautiful! Cool
Les Lampman
Dealer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aurelia wrote:
Maybe its the angle Les but that canvas doesn't look very good. They are all some form of ugly I guess but you should look at lots of Cbrat albums and experiment with different angles and volumes. The canvas just doesn't look as proud at the rest of the boat. Keep refining....

We looked an many and came up with our own variation and I think you can do the same with the Marinaut. At least in my opinion, ours came out big and tight and purposeful looking while many of the King products and others I have seen on the same boat look a little ill.

Just leave a bimini on at the show, they all look better that way. Or do a permanent T-top bars off the roof type bimini. Some of those make me jealous.

Hi Greg,

Aesthetics are always a tough thing. The funny part is that I designed the radar arch, transom safety rail, and the custom camper canvas that's on an awfully lot of C-Dory 22's (the radar arch and transom rail became "factory" options).

The thing with the camper canvas on the Marinaut is, quite frankly, "how high do you want to go?" You can see that's there's not much rise to the camper top from the aft end of the cabin top, yet there's still 6' 4" of headroom under the stainless bows. It might have looked better with more rise but all that would do is increase the windage, the size of the bows to be stored and added height where non is needed (for most folks).

The width is set by the boat. The length is set because the rear curtain needs to be in front of the motor and because of the "dam" across the back of the Marinaut (the one that runs across in front of the aft decks and motorwell) it makes a natural stopping point and a perfect place for the aft curtains to fix to at their lower ends.

Movement inside the cockpit isn't restricted so one can walk right to the front of the motorwell (or put a chair there) so in order not to lose space (volume) inside the camper canvas the aft curtain is very nearly vertical. Any more slope to it would have meant folks couldn't stand up all the way to the motorwell.

The panel sizes are a natural result of the geometry of the boat. The aft line of the cabin is sloping, not vertical. That means where it meets the side deck is further aft then where it meets the cabin top. If you're going to have a useful entry area (just aft of the cabin) the opening need to be wide enough to be comfortable to use and the sloping cabin back pushes that aft. The entry opening width sets where the pivot point is for the main bow, which in turn sets the length of the entry panel and the aft side panel.

All that remains are the aft panels and the natural breaks there are one for each aft deck and one in the middle for the motorwell.

Unless we do something only for the sake of aesthetics there's not much to change. It's got all the height, width, and length the boat can accommodate.

The nice thing about our boats is that folks get to pick exactly what they want with regard to colors and design (where it can be accommodated). So the new owners of this Marinaut were able to pick a hull color, striping, interior fabric, and camper canvas fabric that they like and will work in their area.

Here is the PNW we're used to seeing darker colors. I'd dare say if the same camper canvas was done in Mediterranean Blue or other dark color it would look more like what you describe.
retnavy

City/Region: Hampton Roads Virginia
State or Province: VA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it looks great! wish I could afford it. I do think it needs east coast exposure and I happen to leave on a river that feeds into the Chesapeake bay. With striper season right around the corner the pilot house would be very nice err I mean would get lots of exposure in real life situations, lol. Very Happy
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go Here to see Les’s report on the first sea trial of the boat. The specks are impressive for a boat of this type and size.

Dave
www.marinautboats.com
Bill Uffelman

City/Region: Las Vegas
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I think it looks great! wish I could afford it. I do think it needs east coast exposure and I happen to leave on a river that feeds into the Chesapeake bay. With striper season right around the corner the pilot house would be very nice err I mean would get lots of exposure in real life situations, lol."

I agree. Less should send a loaner demo boat to the mid-Atlantic region for rotating usage on the Chesapeake Bay, Delaware River, Indian River Bay, Assawoman Bay and off shore zones. 8>))

Wish one was on my Christmas list but not this year.

Bill Ufffelman
Ocean View DE vacation/retirement home
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

retnavy wrote:
I think it looks great! wish I could afford it. I do think it needs east coast exposure and I happen to leave on a river that feeds into the Chesapeake bay. With striper season right around the corner the pilot house would be very nice err I mean would get lots of exposure in real life situations, lol. Very Happy

And we're up in the mid Chesapeake where the Potomac meets the Bay. Now all we need is an Annapolis Brat and we've got the Bay covered. Think about it Dave, I know it's hard to build a boat on consignment but I think I'd be willing to help as long as when it sells, we get our $$ back. Maybe retnavy could do the same. I'm Ret Navy too and have two TomCats (still), never had a Marinaut at the pier!! Would like to have one.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
dave

City/Region: Riverview
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Cocoon
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les Lampman wrote:
dave wrote:
One of the things I really don't like on my boat is the long distance from the grab rails on the top of the cabin to the bow rail. I don't have the arm span to reach one from the other. Not pleasant in rough weather to let go on the way forward. Lengthening the bow rail would add safety to going forward.

Thanks Dave!

It's always a tricky thing that bow rail. When you have wide side decks on a boat a long bow rail (extending further aft) is usually a good thing. What I've found on smaller boats (and thus with more narrow side decks) is when you lengthen a bow rail (extend it aft) it can act as a trap point, and since the rail is usually lower aft than it is forward it's often times a perfect height to end up tail-over-teakettle and in the drink.

When the distance from the cabin side to the railing is too narrow to pass one foot around another you have to then depend on a very firm hand grip to ensure not losing your balance. I think it's safer to be able to keep your weight centered over your feet by not having a trap point and allowing movement of your hips and feet to maintain balance.

This of course while always maintaining the age old tradition of "one hand for the ship, one hand for yourself".

The reach from the forward most part of the Marinaut cabin top hand rail and the bow rail is not far. I'm 5' 10" tall without a particularly long reach.

Here's a photo to illustrate:

Thanks for the observation.

I agree with your comments. On my boat I must let go of one hand hold to reach the other.
Les Lampman
Dealer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave wrote:
I agree with your comments. On my boat I must let go of one hand hold to reach the other.

Splash! Shocked
dave

City/Region: Riverview
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Cocoon
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les Lampman wrote:
dave wrote:

Splash! Shocked

Not yet!!!!!!!!!!
C-Nile

City/Region: Connecticut
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 2012
Vessel Name: Betty Ann
Photos: C-Nile
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chimo Et. Al.,

We don't take offense at any criticism given by C-Brat's over our new Marinaut, we all learn more from constructive criticism. As Martin Buber stated, the world wants to be deceived. We don't think that's true for C-Brats, which makes this such a lively and informative group.

As to the aesthetics of the boat, we are absolutely delighted. We think the lines are beautiful. The boat and canvas look sleek in the water -- to us, the analogy is that she looks like a Maserati. But you absolutely must see this boat in person before passing judgement. Pictures do not do it justice. We have to be honest and say that when we look at many of the pictures, it does not seem like the same boat. Go figure. We think the pictures we took more accurately conveys how the Betty Ann appears in person, but it is still not quite there. Please check it out:

[img] http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=C-Nile&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php [/img]

C-Nile

City/Region: Connecticut
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 2012
Vessel Name: Betty Ann
Photos: C-Nile
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you who are interested -- Marinaut 215 Hull A001, named "Betty Ann", was delivered to Connecticut by Les Lampman, and it now resides in its permanent location at Port Niantic in Connecticut. Please see new pictures posted in our photo album "C-Nile"

Thanks!

Rich
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful! Congratulations...

Drive safely on the way home Les!

Charlie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: