The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

How bout trim tab holes in the Hull ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chucko

City/Region: Davidson
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Angel
Photos: Sea Angel
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: How bout trim tab holes in the Hull ? Reply with quote

I asked why an owner didn't add trim tabs to his boat. He said he didn't want to drill holes in the hull under the water line, and he added about every other option to his boat. How do you all feel about drilling in this area of the hull causing eventual problems? Question
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chucko,

It doesn't have to cause problems if done correctly. I'm sure others will chime in but there's always a way to drill holes oversize and fill with epoxy. Then set the screws into the epoxy when hardened.

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
patrick and linda

City/Region: somerset
State or Province: KY
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Fan-A-Sea"
Photos: Misty Seas
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not sure if trim tabs are necessary on a c-dory. weight distribution can be arranged to compensate for listing. i would also avoid drilling either below or above the water line on the hull. not a big fan of balsa core filled hull and any water intrusion could be costly. i modified my c-dory in many was for comfort reasons, added electronics but left the hull alone. did epoxy and bottom painted it but beyond that nothing else.
haven't posted in a while so hope all my c-brats friends are doing well!
pat
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Roger indicated, you can drill oversize holes below the waterline and fill them with epoxy for the installation. The holes need not even be through holes (in fact they probably shouldn't be). With proper technique, there's no need for worry. What you shouldn't do is simply drill a pilot, fill it with 4200 and throw in a screw (although many "professional" installers will do just that).

As for the need for trim tabs - I would say that you definitely want them and/or a permatrim to keep the nose down into chop. I didn't have trim tabs on my 22 and the first time I went out with LarryQ (who did), I was amazed at how much better his 22 performed in chop when he pushed the nose down with the tabs. I had permatrims installed on mine thereafter and also got much better performance in the chop. By better performance, I mean a much more comfortable ride and at a higher speed than was possible without the nose down trim.

Matt Gurnsey
Dealer

City/Region: Port Orchard
State or Province: WA
Photos: Kitsap Marina
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dending on the year, C-Dory used some different core materials in the transom. The latest models use a synthetic material that won't rot. Earlier models used marine plywood, which can rot.

With proper installation, hull penetration is not an issue. Trim tabs can help the boat perform better, not only by changing side to side list as people move in the boat, but also by helping to push the bow down in a chop to get a better ride.

360-895-2193
(888) 293-7991
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, I would say that trim tabs are essential for the 22. I owned one without, and one with. The ride is much better. Also some one of the fins--and Permatrims are the best. will also help improve the ride.

As for the composite or foam cores, you can still get water intrusion, which is not a good idea. However, on some of the C Dories there is solid glass at the turn of the bilge--think of it--the balsa core and transom core, not not meet, there will be an area of solid glass between. I have found some C Dories with solid glass--some with core. In either case, drill out first, check and the put in the epoxy. You will not be sorry.

I have never owned or ridden in a 27. They may ride differently than the 25 or 22.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: