The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

05/13 - 05/15 - Lake Winnipesaukee, NH
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Guy wrote:
Seriously, this is getting fun...

We tried to tell you guys!!!

There's a new album at the top of the Cruises and Events album list for you.

Rick from Maine

City/Region: No. Berwick
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Winnepesaukee Gathering Reply with quote

It’s official; the 2005 New England C-Dory season has been kicked off with a Boom. The Usual Suspects plus some new C-Dory fanatics gathered at The Y Landing Marina on Lake Winnepesaukee for a weekend of cruising and camaraderie. The dire weather predictions were wrong, so we got in 85 miles of lake cruising.
The family at Y Landing Marina was great. The Grand Lady of the Marina, Tuffy, was a wonderfully entertaining hostess opening her home to us for meals, and meeting us on arrival at the dock with Lake Charts, Welcoming packages, and Hats. John squired us around the lake, and resolved any of our needs. Charlie fixed Fred’s engine, and Dave provided logistic support. You couldn’t have better hosts for a C-Dory gathering. They even provided a 12 week old puppy for entertainment.
There were 5 boats and crews: Widget (Dave & Valerie), Inn the Water (Fred), Hunky Dory (Rick & Carol), Crescent Girl (Dun & Becky), and Lil Duke (2 guys from MA). Plus there was a brand new 22’ cruiser and a 16’ cruiser for sale and viewing at the marina. A couple of wannabes from CT (Ken & Carol) cruised and dined with us too.
The Friday the 13th start was typical: Expired trailer registration, Engine fuel system problems (3 boats), and launching without the plug. But things smoothed out from there, with Fred providing shuttle service.
Saturday Dave led us into the relatively undeveloped northeast regions, under low bridges and thru rock gardens. It takes a while getting used to the unique lake bouyage system, so we were glad that our GPSs had bread crumbs to follow back to Y Landing. After a huge lunch at Tuffy’s, we took 4 boats for ice cream at a Burger King that has about 40 slips, but no Boat Cruise Thru lane.
Sunday it was raining, but we took off for Wolfeboro at the other end of the lake. Wouldn’t ya know it? The rain stopped for 2 hours, so our wives managed to maraud the gift shops (and savage our credit cards). Not even Carol’s cast slowed them down. With 3 boat crews as a team, we quickly maneuvered trailers and hauled our C-dories for their next adventures.

Yup, it was a great kick off for this season,
Rick & Carol from Maine
New Hampshire Guy
Dealer

City/Region: Meredith
State or Province: NH
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Photos: New Hampshire Guy
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FROM Y-LANDING

As a Marina and a dealer we'd like to thank all the C-Dory folks that made the sometimes long trip to our humble corner of New Hampshire.
It was a simple pleasure having the C-Dory crews around. A more helpful and independent group we've never met.
There was talk of the C-Dorys returning in the Fall when we should again have free dock space, warmer weather and a much prettier view of the mountains. Y-Landing is open to suggestions and more than willing to adjust to meet the open schedules of the most members.
We know we learned a LOT, and for anyone lurking out there these gatherings are a great chance to see the boats and hear the tales.

Thanks again to everyone who made the first annual Lake gathering such a hoot!
The journalist that interviewed everyone also works for USA Today so we are hoping for expanding coverage as the story gets out.
Pictures to follow as I figure out the download procedures.
Again, Thanks to all!

Fair Winds...
John
Y-Landing
CTYankee

City/Region: Conn
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Crescent Girl
Photos: Crescent Girl
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 05 Lake Winnipesaukee cruise is history. Four 22' C-Dorys showed up, Hunky Dory(Rick and Carol), Widget(Dave and Valerie), Inn the Water (Fred, the Man from Nantucket) and Crescent Girl (Dun and Becky). The weather was cold and cloudy throughout with showers on Sunday. John and "Tuffy", the owners of Y-Landing Marina and new C-Dory dealers, did a fine job of welcoming us, providing slips, ice, food and bathrooms, and generally running around keeping us happy and acting as guides. We did three major excursions from our base, and several minor ones. Ken and Carol, prospective owners from Branford, CT took a cruise with us, and a new owner of a 16' Angler from Cape Cod joined us for lunch on Saturday.

Lake Winnipesaukee is a large lake, very deep with hundreds of islands and many bays and inlets. The lake has become very developed over the years, and housing prices are now sky high everywhere. It has, however, retained much of it's rural heritage, and it is known throughout New England as a get-away haven from the cities of the coast.

Becky and I enjoyed seeing our C-dog friends again, and caught up on each other's lives during the cruises and at our meals together. Special thanks to The Man from Nantucket for arranging the wonderful get together. Y-Landing has again offered us accomodations next year, and extend the invitation for any other C-Dory owners to visit at anytime.

I've posted a few pictures (sorry for the quality...it was very overcast the whole time).

Thanks to all,

Dun (CTYankee)
ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

The trip was great. I arrived on Wednesday and did the shuffle, we had to launch our boats at a ramp about 2 miles away as a car drives. With a little help, I made it. John and I went out to dinner on Wednesday night and talked boats, people etc.

The Y-Landing Marina was once owned by the Lawrence Massachusetts YMCA, and is still used as a connection to the Camp which is located on Bear Island, due east of the marina, and the largest Island on the lake without a bridge. The Marina is now owned by the Hamblett Family. Tuffy, the mother runs the store at the Marina, and Dave, her youngest son runs the Marina. The crew are an assortment of relatives and friends, both male and female. All are great workers and great people.

The marina;s cliental are mostly people who live on the islands, and need a place for their boats to get to and from the islands.

The interest of C-Dory's came from one of the island people who purchased one from the Florida dealer, and use it as a ferry boat to and from Bear Island. Their boat is a sixteen footer.

The owners of the Marina saw a good thing, so started working on the Tolan Family to give them a dealership. After the Tolans sold the business, the new owners decided to give the dealership to Y-Marina. At that time, John Cameron was brought aboard to sell the C-dory. (John was the roommate of one of Dave's brothers at USNA. and a former commercial pilot.)

On Thursday, I decided to go to Meredith for breakfast by boat. The wind was blowing, but I thought it would not be a problem. WRONG. When I turned the corner of Meredith Neck, and got beyond Governors Island, the wind coming down from the White Mountains and funneling between the hills really blew. The lake also had a short chop and white caps. I managed to get INN-THE-WATER under the lee of the MOUNT WASHINGTON at The Weirs and docked her. While I was coming across, the wind got under the zipper of the awning and unzipped the middle brace. It was worst conditions that I had ever been out in.

I then waited out the storm, and had breakfast and read a newspaper.

When the wind died down, I returned to the Marina, and then went to Center Harbor for coffee.

On friday I stayed around to help the other C-Brats.

Saturday has been explained well by others. One thing of interest. When we went to the other side of Moultonboro Neck, I went with Rick and Carol. Rick had put in waypoints to get us there, but not on a chart. It was interesting. We followed the "bread crumbs" back.

On Sunday morning, I got up early, drove the rig to the launch ramp, walked back, took INN-THE-WATER over by water, pulled her out, and went back to Hingham. After putting the boat to rest, I had a sandwich, and crashed for the rest of the day. I returned to Nantucket on Monday morning, and Sheila left for Hingham on Tuesday. Wednesday she gets to go to Roger Williams Zoo in Providence, RI. and play with the GrandChildren. I get to run the Inn. (I think she got the best of the deal>)

See you all at the next Meet.

Fred Heap

Otter-BelleHavenMarina

City/Region: Alexandria
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Otter
Photos: Otter
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great gathering! Kathy and the kids and I will be up there for a week this summer (week of July 16). We found a little house with a dock just right for the Otter, and its not too far from Y-Landing. We will definitely pay them a visit. If there are any areas to explore by boat that you'd recommend not missing, please let me know.
Best regards,

ffheap

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

Tips on the Big Lake.

1. Buy a Blitzer Chart and study it, or have a back-up prop or two.
2. Go to all the towns. They have docks and invite you to tie up for up to three hours.
3. Wolfboro and The Wiers are very different. Wolfboro is old New England. The Wiers is 1950 Honky Tonk, including bumper cars and a drive-in movie.
4. Centre Harbor has the best store in the country on quilting, if interested.
5. The are many coves to anchor in, but not for the night.
6. I missed this one, go through Sally's Gut.
7. Cruise up the east side of Moultonboro. It is different. We did it.
8. Watch out for the THUGS, Big Fast Boats run by IDIOTS.
9. Check the Internet, collect all the information, including New Hampshire Boating Laws.

Have a great time. Say hello to the folks at Y-Landing Marina for me. The sell gas and beer. Give them some business if you can.

Fred Heap
Otter-BelleHavenMarina

City/Region: Alexandria
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Otter
Photos: Otter
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Fred!
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred --
Why no anchoring in the coves for the night? I'm afraid I know your answer, but hope I'm wrong ....

New Hampshire Guy
Dealer

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No anchoring/overnights on the inland waters of NH. State law. For such a small state it doesn't really put too many people out.
John
Y-Landing
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urg! Is it too political to ask why?

And what happens if we launch into Winnepesaukee in August , and all the slips in marinas are full? Since the state law requires no overnights on anchor in fresh water, then, of course, they supply ample state dockage so all can comply with the law. Right? Hmmm, I'm afraid I know what the answer is to that one...

Isn't the state motto, Live Free or Die??
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, from reading the regulation, if you can get permission from someone to tie a line somewhere to a tree or something, you can still sleep on the boat. Doesn't have to be at a marina. Check it out.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
ffheap

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To El and Bill,

I think you may get some Marina's to let you stay. Also, permission from a property owner will allow you to stay.

I have a great idea. Do you have a talk with pictures about your travels. If you can get a chance to get use of a projector, you could barter a talk about your travels for a bearth at a Yacht Club. Merideth and Wolfboro both have Yacht Clubs.

Just an Idea. You won't be the first.

Fred Heap
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The June '05 Trailer Boats magazine has an article about the fire boat that is based at the Y-Landing Marine Services Marina on page 23.
C-Brat #16
New Hampshire Guy
Dealer

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,
Thanks to all the sharp eyed BRATS out there! We were interviewed for that article about 10 months ago and might have missed it. Appreciate everybody's support!
John
Y-Landing Marine Services
Meredith, NH
Dealer (extrodinaire)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: