View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: USS San Francisco Reply with quote

You all probably remember the USS San Francisco incident (collision with an underwater seamount) a few months ago. I have posted a very descriptive and accurate story in the documents section in the Forums. I know several of those that were on board. Didn't know the one sailor that lost his life.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of my 20 year career was on submarines, both nuclear and conventional. Our "era" disasters were the Thresher and the Scorpion. Of the two, the Thresher was the most poignant. They came very close to saving themselves before filters in the very valves that filled the ballast tanks froze and they began their final descent. Charlie knew folks on the San Francisco, I knew some on the Thresher.

I've been where Chief Hager was. He was the diving officer, I'm sure. The actions were plausible and the account seems accurate. The Captain's choice to rely on both the latest chart AND the track that was laid out for him by CINCPACFLT, probably using the same data, was his downfall. A career ending one, but one that I can easily see could happen. Good navigation requires the utmost attention to detail. Most of us disregard the little note on our fancy GPS that says "Should not be used for navigation." All that is is the chartmaker's way of covering his a$$.

Thankfully only one person died. Had that boat not been as tough as it was, it would have been a career ending moment for well over 100 men.

Don
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Don, I knew folks on Scorpion and Thresher too, I retired in 1991 after 32 years (didn't want to make a career out of it). I was a surface sailor (Engineering Duty Officer), they wouldn't let me on subs because I like to sleep with the windows open! Shocked I also was the Program Manager for FFGs when Stark got hit by the Exocets and when Samuel B Roberts hit the mine.

San Francisco is "home" now, they fitted a false bow to make the transit. It will probably not be repaired permanantly, just sent to the boneyard in Puget Sound. Too bad, but as you say, lucky more weren't killed, they are very tough boats! Thumbs Up

charlie
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I thought us jar heads had it bad. My heart goes out to the ones that made it home and I can not blame the ones that will not go back to the sub's. I have never been in a sub and do not find it right to get in a boat designed to sink. This really showes just how much are young people are putting it on the line even on normal duties. We really owe a lot to them and i think that this young generation on the lines to day will be the leaders in our country for some time to come.
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie,

Thanks for the great post. The only sub I've been aboard is one that picked me up after being shot down (dumb, dumb) -- couldn't wait to get off that diesel stinkpot, but grateful!! Very grateful.

After 5 CO jobs I've got a hunch where the axe falls -- that's just the way it is. But when your boss (who else can you trust) sends you a route that's unsafe -- stuff should go uphill. I've been a major command Director of Ops, and if that had happened on my watch my head would have been one of enough heads to play 8-ball with. Holly $%^&*, just a footnote from the flag that other charts show a hazard in .... area would have made a great liberty run out of it. Sad.

Thanks again, Charlie -- I hate to see things like that happen that could have been avoided so easily.

Dusty
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: