TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was mistaken earlier. But now, without doubt, this thread has deteriorated.

Oh, and Bill - nice cover-up about the CD 16.
Quote:
Nah...nuttin' that exciting.

rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catman wrote:

Now, back to the calendar idea. I've been lifting weights and loading up on double cheeseburgers and Wildcat Ale, so I'll soon be ready for the photo shoot. My friend Paris helped me select a black velvet thong with studded diamonds. It really is special.

My double cheeseburger just came back up on me.... Confused

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You ain't just a-whistlin', Dixie...
TyBoo wrote:
I was mistaken earlier. But now, without doubt, this thread has deteriorated.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

terraplane

City/Region: chesapeake bay
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: BANJO
Photos: Sally's Sister
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: help for expenses Reply with quote

I would not mind sending a contribution to help maintain the site. A dedicated email doesn't appeal to me, necessarily, but I do want to be sure this site continues. I'm a new owner (April) and thehelp here has been absulutely great...want it to continue. If i have to get the email, i will, but another idea is to ask if those of us who were helped by the site in our purchase might want to make a voluntary contribution.

tom/terraplane
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the good reasons to take advantage of Da Nag's email address, is using it while leisurely floating down some river somewhere with laptop and cell phone in hand. As a long time RV'er, we always welcome the ability to email as well as surf while on the road, and it's readily available either by cell phone or via a wireless hot spot.

As an example, if you have a Verizon color screen cell phone (Get it now capable) there is a "back door" way to use "National Access" without any charge beyond minutes used in your regular America's Choice plan. (Zero if it's weekend/evening minutes) That means surfing at roughly twice the speed of a 56k dialup connection. The how-to info can be found in Yahoo group InternetByCellPhone and they even have all the files there. All you need is a cable that interfaces between the laptop and the cell phone. Naturally one doesn't spell out how to do it publicly, but so far Verizon sort of ignores the use, though they obviously won't help you set it up. Rest assured, they know it's being used though. It's just that most of us users are careful not to abuse it and so far, they don't bother us. This is NOT the old technology cell-phone as a modem - call your ISP - get 9600 bps excruciatingly slow connection many of us are used to.

Many "dialup" ISP's will allow you to POP or receive your email via that route, but 90% will not allow you to send email using their (SMTP) server. That's where C-Brat's server comes into play. Assuming it's set up to do it, you should be able to both send and receive email while using a foreign host like a wireless connection or via Verizon's ISP. You can even set the c-brat return address to your regular email address and nobody will be the wiser (well, maybe dudes who care to read the expanded header might, but who cares about them?)

So yes, I'm gonna take advantage of the address. I've heard that Sprint has a similar "back door" but have never delved into it. That info is also found at the Yahoo group mentioned earlier along with tutorials.

Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: help for expenses Reply with quote

terraplane wrote:
...I do want to be sure this site continues.

No worries there. This site will be here. And free. For the ones who keep it going there are ample rewards, and we have no intention of accepting donations toward that end. We are certainly not soliciting them.

It looks like the Brock/B~C calendar is not going to be a big hit, so maybe we can come up with a C-Brat cruise calendar using our own photos. Just beginning to look into the logistics of it. It would be cool to have each month feature a picture of a cruise in the same month the previous year.
terraplane

City/Region: chesapeake bay
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: BANJO
Photos: Sally's Sister
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:42 am    Post subject: what todo Reply with quote

I don't know if this is the place to write, but I'm the guy from Eastern Shore of Maryland, a new 22 owner by April.who wants to host a c dory gathering this summer. I put it into a thread, but want to list it under gatherings...i have had a bunch of replies showing interest.
How do I get it listed on the gatherings site.

If i'm writing to the wrong place, can you refer me?

tom /terraplane...
Mighty Bite

City/Region: Fairbanks, Alaska
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Mighty Bite
Photos: Mighty Bite
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, the site is moving along pretty nicely this morning. I wasn't about to post anything about it moving slowly after the change. Change of any kind frequently carries a little baggage.

I knew I wouldn't have to wait long before the maestro of nerdism had it straightened out.......COOL!

Thanks Bill, for all of your efforts and expertise.

What a treat, having two of the sharpest guys on the planet, Tyboo Mike & DaNag Bill, in the engine room of this runaway train, aka: C-Brat Express.

Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rd Byte wrote:

I knew I wouldn't have to wait long before the maestro of nerdism had it straightened out.......COOL!

Well...one of the golden rules of computer work is to never admit how easy something is. That way, when seemingly spectacular results are noticed, everyone thinks you're really special.

But since I get more ego stroking around here than any one guy needs or deserves, I'll break the rule this one time.

I didn't to a dang thing...except hound the hosting provider with progressivley nastier emails until they got somebody to fix it. Trouble is, on a shared server, they don't give me the tools necessary to troubleshoot a lot of things on my own, so we're stuck relying on the competence of the on-duty tech. Unfortunately, as is often the case, the guy on the weekend shift ain't first string material...

Eventually, somebody who knew what to look for narrowed it down to a runaway script - not by your's truly, but by somebody else sharing the server with us. The script was killed, the user notified, and things got back to normal.

Quite frustrating, though...the chances of this happening should be less whwn we share a server with fewer folks. Oh well...some day when we get really big, we'll have a dedicated server that only we can screw up. And we'll be known throughout the world. And I'll have a Tomcat. And a pony.

Gotta think, big, no?

rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da Nag wrote:

<text clipped>
Quite frustrating, though...the chances of this happening should be less whwn we share a server with fewer folks. Oh well...some day when we get really big, we'll have a dedicated server that only we can screw up. And we'll be known throughout the world. And I'll have a Tomcat. And a pony.

Gotta think, big, no?

Since you didn't want donations to support the site perhaps we shoud start a "Lets buy Da Nag a pony thread...." Laughing !
Mighty Bite

City/Region: Fairbanks, Alaska
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Mighty Bite
Photos: Mighty Bite
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't do a dang thing, eh Bill. Contrare, you did exactly what had to be done. If you hadn't harrassed the provider and threatened thumb screws we'd still be pokey.

This is off topic Bill, but what was the model of the Fulton winch that you posted a while back. I looked for it but couldn't locate it.

Thanks again.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: New feature? Reply with quote

Isn't the "View Posts from the Past 24 Hours" on the left side bar new? Nice addition, although I'll mostly still be using the feature on the right side that allows me to view the new posts since my last visit. Joe.
Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good eye, Joe - added that yesterday.

It comes in handy in two situations, which I encounter frequently - hence my reason for adding it (nerd privileges...)

First, if you are visiting but not logging in, it gives a quick way to see recent posts which include those you haven't read yet.

Second, I often login and click the "view posts since last login" link, but don't finish reading all of them before my session times out. Next time I login, the board isn't smart enough to know I didn't get to all the unread posts, so viewing from a previous time period catches them.

Enjoy...

Bill
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something functionally equivalent to this has existed all along on the Forum Index, up in the right hand corner, but it is nice to have it on the login page as well!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Site News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: