The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

How is www.c-brats.com built?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Site Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smittypaddler

City/Region: Neenah, Wisconsin
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Na Waqa
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: How is www.c-brats.com built? Reply with quote

I belong to another group,

http://www.watertribe.com

and I'm having difficulties accessing it because of incompatibilities with Linux. I never have any trouble on c-brats, and I like the way the site is designed. Is there any information about how this website is built? Is it home-grown, or is the software supporting it available, either under commercial license, or even better, under the GNU copyleft?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: How is www.c-brats.com built? Reply with quote

Certainly best if Da Nerd responds, but as I understand it, C-Brats is built on phpBB. There are a lot of other phpBB sites out there, but this one is certainly the best put together!

smittypaddler wrote:
I belong to another group,

http://www.watertribe.com

and I'm having difficulties accessing it because of incompatibilities with Linux. I never have any trouble on c-brats, and I like the way the site is designed. Is there any information about how this website is built? Is it home-grown, or is the software supporting it available, either under commercial license, or even better, under the GNU copyleft?

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Counselor has the basics right. The Reader's Digest version:

The forums are phpBB 2.x - but it's far from "stock". Tons of modifications have been done, primarily in the area of the photo galleries and user profile customizations. These tweaks, are the primary reason we've not upgraded to the latest version of phpBB, as migrating these modifications is somewhat laborious.

Underneath it all, is a dedicated Debian box running a typical LAMP stack. All GPL.

Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha........now I totally understand the workings of C-Brats..............NOT
c-ness

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C-weetness
Photos: C-weetness
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh?
Tug

City/Region: Sault Ste. Marie
State or Province: ON
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Drifter
Photos: Drifter
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all so clear now! Question Tug
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phoBB is open source bulletin-board software, with a home page at phpBB. It's up to version 3, which I believe the Ranger site uses.

There are several reference books which explain the installation and operation of phpBB as wall as othere such software (Drupal, WordPress, etc.) One which I found helpful is Building Online Communities with Drupal, phpBB and WordPress by Douglass, Little and Smith.

Boris
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:
phoBB is open source bulletin-board software, with a home page at phpBB. It's up to version 3, which I believe the Ranger site uses.

Yup...and like here, the TugNuts also has integrated photo albums, based on Gallery. A newer version of Gallery is installed over there as well.

journey on wrote:
...othere such software (Drupal, WordPress, etc.)

WordPress is more for blogging - not interactive communities. Drupal on the other hand, can do just about anything...and I'm a big fan, for the right project. I actually toyed with converting this place to Drupal a while back, but quickly gave it up. Not only would the conversion be a ton of work, but the interface/usage would change drastically, and Drupal isn't known for long term support. It takes a ton more work to maintain and keep up to date, and time is not something I've an excess of. I built a Drupal site for Dana's Weimaraner rescue usage, and even though there's only 8-10 people using it and it does some very cool stuff...it takes waaaay more of my time (from a tech perspective) than this place does.

This place on the other hand, has run with minimal effort with the same basic code base since 2003...in fact, I neglected to mention our 8 year anniversary the other day.

Yup...the C-Brats is showing its age, but at this point, it's kinda like an old pair of jeans. Or a nice old C-Dory. Or a worn out pair of shoes, depending on your perspective...
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Underneath it all, is a dedicated Debian box running a typical LAMP stack. All GPL.

Might as well be Russian. Confused

Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da Nag wrote:
Drupal on the other hand, can do just about anything...and I'm a big fan, for the right project.

I've spent the last year+ getting into Drupal in a big way -- including attending the PNW Drupal Summit in Portland a couple of weeks ago and am planning to go to the forthcoming DrupalCon in Denver next March.

I'm currently building a large D7 site for an environmental group that features a Facebook-like area (wall, etc.) and a store built on Drupal Commerce. Along the way I checked out the core Forum and the Advanced Forum module and agree with you that at this time phpBB is more flexible and easier to administer, although I am considering contributing to Advanced Forum once this current project is live, in hopes of helping Advanced Forum catch up with phpBB. What concerns me most about phpBB is its security holes , but fortunately C-Brats seems to have dodged (most? all?) of those issues.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: UHHH - USPO Reply with quote

I still lick stamps sometimes and my cell phone only has 10 keys. Should change my middle name to "Dino".
Bob Jarrard
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, using phpBB is only half the story. When we call up the C-Brat site, our computer, acting as a client, accesses another computer, acting as a server which supplies the data to allow our computer/browser to display the page. And remember, displaying the page is only part of the C-Brat site. There's posting a topic, setting up forums, sending messages, having some control over the process (security,) etc. phpBB does some of this but not all.

First you need a server. Windows 7 is not a server, but for instance Windows Server 2008 is (did you ever think Microsoft would miss that chance?) And there are other servers available of which one is Apache, an open source software package. For the Journey On web site, I rent space on a server in Chicago (I think, it doesn't matter.) So, when, using your browser (Firefox, I hope,) you click on dobro-journey.com, the request is sent to a server, which supplies the requested html and jpeg data, and your browser displays the wonderful story of our trips.

Now, I like to develop software on my home computer and then send it to run on a server. Again Windows 7 is not server software. But, there is a package of software called XAMPP , which males your computer run like a server under Windows 7. XAMPP installs Apache (server software,) MySql (data base) and other modules which Da Nag can tell you about, but I'm not sure. There are others like XAMPP, but I had trouble installing and configuring them. XAMPP is open source and free.

Or, since servers have a lot of support built in, you can develop a phpBB application on a (rented) server. Most offer good technical support, too. I'm not that bold. For example I use KomPozer for developing web pages and send it on. Other brave souls use the support provided by the server, but their editors are somewhat limited.

So now you can develop your own forum/breadboard, or you can enjoy what Da Nag has given us. And now appreciate all the work he's put into this site. And contribute to the Tip Jar.

Boris
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

localboy wrote:
Quote:

Might as well be Russian. Confused

Dunno, didn't help me. How about you?

Под все это, является выделенным окно Debian работает типичный стек LAMP. Все GPL.

Charlie Rolling Eyes

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's about the same. Wink
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me 3 Rolling Eyes Embarassed

But I am sure glad you guys got it all figured

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up to the nerds.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Site Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: