The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

ADVICE NEEDED; Safely removing swim-step.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KickerDRB

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
Photos: RayAnn
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job! The step by step photos are great. How does the color match? I may get brave enough to try the same modification. Our 22 seems to be port heavy when leaving for a 3-4 day weekend. A kicker, two passengers and 20gallons of water to port with just me and a few odds and ends to starboard. I max out the trim tabs and still have a hard time staying on an even keel.
Regards,
Dave
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:12 am    Post subject: swim step Reply with quote

I've never seen the swim step on the starboard side except for Casey boat which has 2 swim steps . Every c-dory Ive ever seen have been on port side . When I had the (Duck c-22)I had to reposition my swim step a little higher when we put the Suzuki 90 on her instead of the honda 50. yes we had to use a lot of muscle and wire and goof off . YOu will like it on the port side no more stepping on cables etc .
00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, unfortunately, not so fast. I awoke this a.m. and the gelcoat is still wet in some places, especially over the patches and the patches are now visible through it. Confused Pics in my album now. It's all a learning curve, I guess.

I just sent an e-mail to Scott for some advice. I WAS so proud of myself. Rolling Eyes More to follow....

localboy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott thinks it's an issue w/ the prep. I removed the uncured gel-coat w/ acetone, which curiously, was only over the "Duraglas" patches. The gel-coat I sprayed over the original factory gel-coat is cured/hard/dry etc.

Scott advised I use a rougher grit sandpaper for the scratch coat prior to spraying the new gel-coat. I had used 600 but will re-sand the patches w/ 220 on my DA. Then re-spay new gel-coat.

Live & learn.
localboy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Repair is complete and the boat goes to Les on Friday for the kicker install. I just don't have the time to do it.

The repair was a good learning experience. I'm happy w/ how it came out. I ended up getting a new batch of gelcoat & another Preval sprayer from Scott, along w/ some tips/advice. He told me to warm the sprayer w/ a hair dryer to smoothen out the spray. I also cleaned the area w/ brand new acetone and sanded the patches quickly w/ 220 to give them some "teeth". I did this to remove whatever made the first attempt react negatively. Temps were about 62F when I sprayed it on and I added a bit more catalyst to the mix on Scott's advice.

In general, the repairs are nearly indiscernible. The new gel coat is not spot on in color, probably due to the four yrs the boat has been exposed to the elements. Not a big deal though; it's so close as to not be noticeable.

Also the stern was much easier to work on than the splash-well part of the repair. The stern was flat and easily reached and using the DA & the buffer was easy. Working in the splash well was awkward; the cables are in the way, the angles make working on it a PIA & especially the curves...ahhhh, the curves. You cannot use the DA due to the curves, so much of the sanding was by hand w/ a 3M sanding block. I despise sanding. The splashwell is also the most visible of the patches and the least attractive. The gelcoat started to get too thin as I sanded and the blue patches are slightly visible. I'd spray on the gelcoat a little thicker next time. Buffing was a real PIA there too. There is just no room to work.

Oh, well. I'm happy w/ the repairs; not perfect but they will suffice. Pics in my album.
nimrod

City/Region: Mount Vernon
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Berta's Boy
Photos: 'Berta's Boy
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job, Mark. Now are you REALLY going to drill holes on the other side?

I've been contemplating doing some gelcoat repairs myself. I'd be willing to buy some surplus repair materials from you if you had any left over.

jd
localboy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JD, let me know when you need it and I'll make arrangements w/ you. I had to buy supplies (obviously) and if you need some don't buy them. Only thing I had to get from Scott was the the gelcoat w/ "Speedcure" mixed in & catalyst. You'd have to get a Preval sprayer, but those are available all over and are really inexpensive.

...and yep, I'm gonna mount the step. Laughing We do use it, so it has to go on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: