The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Where's the Ibuprofen?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Les Lampman
Dealer

City/Region: Whidbey Island
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Where's the Ibuprofen? Reply with quote

The last 3 or 4 days have been so busy at MBC that I haven't had a chance to post here.

We've made a lot of progress the last few days but oh my! My body isn't used to actual (physical) work much anymore. Smile I've spent a goodly amount of time in the normal contortionist positions necessary when outfitting a boat; those positions used to remind me that I wan't getting any younger, now they remind me that I'm getting older.

It's all worth it though, it's a labor of love and it's turning out well.

I've kept running updates with photos going on our Facebook page. Be sure to read the comments on each photo to see what's going on. You don't have to be a member or join Facebook to see our company page.

All the best.

www.marinautboats.com
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that you are doing it yourself so it is "right". But sometimes it pays to hire a kid and supervise them--rather than contorting yourself!

The boat is really looking good!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel your pain. I feel off a dock and almost into the water at la Connor this weekend. luck for me my fall was stopped by a 2x4 on edge across the water. Hit it with my ribs under my left arm. have a appointment at 10 to see if any are broken. Little slow out of the rack today.....
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les,

I liked your page, but it didn't like me enough to let me like it for real (I guess) Anyway, looks like you are doing a great job. By the way, I take the Ibuprofen at bed time, and by morning I can't feel a thing Rolling Eyes Wink

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Les Lampman
Dealer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
I feel your pain. I feel off a dock and almost into the water at la Connor this weekend. luck for me my fall was stopped by a 2x4 on edge across the water. Hit it with my ribs under my left arm. have a appointment at 10 to see if any are broken. Little slow out of the rack today.....

OUCH!!! Cry

I'd rather be doing what I'm doing!
Les Lampman
Dealer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
I know that you are doing it yourself so it is "right". But sometimes it pays to hire a kid and supervise them--rather than contorting yourself!

The boat is really looking good!

Bob, I totally agree but... finding homes for everything on a boat and making it functional and making it look good is such an organic process for me that I don't know how to get someone else to do it on the first boat. Now that I've figured out where everything should live and I've taken lots of photos I can make templates and drawings and have someone else replicate it.

Also, I needed to learn on this first boat just what is involved in terms of work and time so I really have to experience it myself. I knew we'd run into some "issues" (surprisingly few) and I wanted to know what they were and how to avoid them in the future. So really, this just had to be a "hands on" boat for me.

As it turns out this boat was a few weeks later than anticipated getting to us so we only have a 4 week window to "build" the boat and also rig and outfit it so long days are called for to make our delivery commitment.

Rich and Betty are flying out from Connecticut on Sept 20th and I want to present them with a fully ready-to-cruise boat. Might take little extra effort now and create some long days but when they're here to take delivery it will all be worth it. Smile

Les
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only all boat builders had this same ethic!
Plan C

City/Region: Port Townsend
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Plan C
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are fortunate buyers to get such personal attention for their boat. I know they will be delighted with it.

Dave
C-Nile

City/Region: Connecticut
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 2012
Vessel Name: Betty Ann
Photos: C-Nile
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Et. Al,

It's difficult to put into words -- that ephemeral sense that at least for the next few years, a very talented group of people are together in Washington to create an exceptional, hand-made product at a very fair price. It sort of bucks the trend for what is happening today. In my state of Connecticut, we've had such wonderfully talented machinists, tool and dye makers, pipe fitters, welders, electricians, cabinet makers -- the list goes on and on, and these jobs have been fast disappearing before our eyes. It was this talented, skilled labor pool that has made our small state so successful; now we are in decline. Try to find a good machinist today, for example, and the odds are that he is in his sixties or seventies. Washington seems similar to our state in the depth of skill of its labor pool, and we see many parallels. When we saw the quality of Dave Thomson's Marinaut, we were impressed with its quality and the talent behind its creation, but we believe the new boat far and away exceeds the quality of the original. We are sure that the Marinaut will be a great boat, because a great group of talented and dedicated people came together to bring it into being. That is why we jumped on the opportunity to be the first, and we know we will not be disappointed.

Betty and I have had a ball working with Les in customizing this boat. It almost feels like we are clients in an American Chopper episode. So indeed, we feel very fortunate to be the first.

Betty and Rich

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: