The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Following added to our website...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Les Lampman
Dealer

City/Region: Whidbey Island
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Following added to our website... Reply with quote

Special Note:

We want to make boating as accessible as possible for everyone. If there are members of your family or friends (or you) who have particular disabilities or challenges but you'd like to take them boating (or go yourself) we'll work hard to come up with a solution for you. It's entirely possible to install an electric lift (really a small platform that acts as an elevator) that allows a person to be lowered from the side deck to the cockpit deck (and vice versa). A lift designed for a wheelchair is also a possiblity. Extra steps inside or special spacing on the steps is easily accomplished in most cases. Extra rails around the cockpit are easy to add. Please don't hesistate to ask, we don't know that we can meet every need but we know we can try our best to make it happen.

==========

Please! No "atta boy" comments! Smile This is just something that speaks to my heart and that I want to offer.

I would encourage folks that have particular needs to post (if they feel comfortable) what would help them so I can generate even more ideas. Or send me an email if you like.

www.marinautboats.com
Connie Fisher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Les,

Per your message, I/we saw for the first time yesterday, a pontoon boat that had been fitted with a folding, somewhat adjustable ramp that made it wheelchair accessable.

May not be the same set up for the Marinaut but making recreational boats handicapped accessable may not have received much attention in the past.

My company custom manufactures wheelchair accessable tables in various sizes (refered to as Universal Design), we are surprised how many are sold to households that do not need them and are planning for the future or just like the design/concept.

Regards,

Ron Fisher
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The extra steps with hand holds, and maybe even a higher railing on both sides of the entry area which would help with this would be a great addition.

Our local "fishing forum" has been sponsoring disabled vets to go fishing. Generally using a shore lift to put them in to a special seat on the boat has worked the best. Wheel chairs on boats in the 20 foot size (Pontoon boats are an exception) are a bit more difficult to safely secure than a good quality chair.

Good idea on the tables. We have a house which is wheel chair accessible--for our mothers--and planed for ourselves. One of the issues is width of doors. We do have one lightweight wheel chair which is 24" wide, but the standard minimal width for doors is 32"; 36" if there is a turn involved with the door. I suspect that making a door and isle wide enough for a wheel chair would be a challenge for a boat that size.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Les Lampman
Dealer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas guys!

With the room available in the cabin of the Marinaut I'm a bit reluctant to imply that we could accommodate a wheelchair but with the rear bulkhead removed it may be possible. We may not have room to accommodate the wheel width of a chair on either side of the sunken passageway but if we filled in the passageway (really just make a flush cover for it) then we'd have a flat floor inside and then could do any interior arrangement needed. Of course those standing up would have to learn to watch their noggins but there are going to be compromises on a small boat.

What I was really thinking about with regard to being able to bring a wheelchair aboard from the dock is for someone that can't physically board the boat from the dock due to side height, etc but once the wheelchair is in the cockpit could use strategically placed hand holds to move into the cabin and sit.

Les
westward

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Les. Very cool that you're thinking along these lines, so attaboy whether you want it or not. Disabilities are so varied and their accommodations are so individually specific that I suggest the following: Get in touch with a good physical or occupational therapist to arrange for offering consultation when the need arises. They can make specific recommendations re: grab bar placement, minimum access width for chairs, tie-downs for chairs, boarding davits, counter heights, standing frame installation, additional lighting, alternative layout, etc.; as well as make boat usage recommendations for the individuals involved. You should certainly make clear in your marketing materials that you offer this service. It is especially effective if this kind of consultation is done prior to construction for a lot of reasons. All the best! Mike.
Les Lampman
Dealer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Thanks very much for the information, it's great.

Les
Connie Fisher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem we have designing and making wheelchair accessible furniture, is that meeting Federal Standards may not be enough, because there are really no standards for wheelchairs.

Wheelchairs by design are adapted to the needs of the occupant.

It would be impossible to design in features that fits all conditions.

Just the fact that you acknowledge the need for such features is a major step forward.

Regards,

Ron Fisher
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: