The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Welcome!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Les Lampman
Dealer

City/Region: Whidbey Island
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Welcome! Reply with quote

In order to clear the general chat forum area I asked the powers-that-be if they would create a Marinaut forum...and poof...here it is. Thanks so much. Thumbs Up

Being a cousin of the C-Dory 22 the Marinaut 215 shares a lot of what folks love about the C-Dory boats and the poobahs have graciously allowed an area on the C-Brat forum for those interested in chatting about the Marinaut.

That said, I would not like to see posts about how one boat is "better" than the other or the denigration of either one. There's room in the market and in the C-Brat family for both boats and they each have their own personality. A feature or characteristic that's perfect for one person may be totally at odds with what another person is seeking or desires so most of what makes a boat "the best" is a very subjective and personal thing.

I do encourage honest and analytical observations, that's the way everyone learns about the boat.

Those that know me (and I've been here since the beginning) know that I don't "push" anything (boats or motors). I generally restrict my comments to generic questions or specific technical questions. So in spite of (EQ) being a dealer for Marinaut you'll not find me "beating the drum" with regard to the boat. My intent is education and information; that's where the power in purchasing lies. I don't think I've ever "sold" anything in my life. I help folks become educated and/or provide information for them. When they reach a conclusion about what's best for them they can the choose to purchase from us or not.

Regardless of the outcome the payback for me is knowing (or at the least hoping) I was able to help out in that process. If the customer ends up purchasing a different boat that's fine, I have the satisfaction of feeling like I helped them get what they really wanted.

So please post your comments and/or questions and let's get this forum underway!

Les

www.marinautboats.com
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, nice to see you again selling boats. So on with a few questions. how many have sold so far? what is the base pricing? and what are your recommendations for power? I got a chance to drive the hell out of Dave's boat at Friday harbor and was very impressed with the speed, handling, turning and general comfort. The boat handled well in the turns and turned flatter then am use to. Turning flatter is a big safety bonus. I never lost site of the port side horizon while in a turn. The boat also did not slide out as easy in a hard turn and did not heal over to the out side of the turn when I did get it to slide. A very stable hull design for a flat bottomed boat.

even with four on board and three on one side I did not seem to need as much trim as I would expect. the boat also rose out of the water evenly with very little bow rise. The steep bow enter cut out a lot of the hull slap from the chop but did not eliminate it. That's just a aspect of a flat hull design that you can never get completely away from but worth the fuel mileage in trade.

The large windows where great and welcomed addition. I would add( and will add to my boat) a center window wiper. There is just to much going on in that field of view to be looking thru water drops.

With the light load and smaller engine I think the boat rode at a down angle to much at slow speeds. I think that using a larger motor and adding storage, in the area opened up by moving the fuel tanks to the sides, will improve the way the boat sits in the water at rest or non planing speeds.

All in all I was impressed with the design and handling of the boat and would not mind spending the day fishing out of it. The placement of the downriggers is going to be a personal choice and depends on the angler. I heard a lot of talk about placing the downrigger aft of the cockpit rear wall in that big flat space and do not think that is would work out well. I do think that adding mount there for storage of the downriggers when they are not in use would be helpful in allowing a better fit for a rear canvas enclosure. but to handle the downrigger while fishing I think they should be placed 1/3 of the way from the rear of the cockpit on the side gunnel's. this way when you are handling them you are standing squarely behind the downrigger with your feet evenly spaced apart. it also allows you to swing the arm forward or aft and still be able to reach the balls and lines. It also clears up a stop for the angler to brace them selves in the corner while fighting a fish and latter for the netter to do the same. if the downriggers are in the back corner and you swing the arms forward you have to reach over the arm to get to the fish or have the arm and ball sticking out at a 90 in the way. same thing if you swing the arms aft from the corner position. now the arm is sticking out behind the boat where you are fighting the fish! good way to lose a fish. but like i said its a personal call on the placement.

Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea for a new forum Les. It's also great seeing you posting again. I look forward to future posts about the Marinaut! Thumbs Up

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
Les Lampman
Dealer

City/Region: Whidbey Island
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom,

I posted my response to a new thread so that it didn't get buried here.

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=15930

Les

starcrafttom wrote:
Hi, nice to see you again selling boats. So on with a few questions. how many have sold so far? what is the base pricing? and what are your recommendations for power? I got a chance to drive the hell out of Dave's boat at Friday harbor and was very impressed with the speed, handling, turning and general comfort. The boat handled well in the turns and turned flatter then am use to. Turning flatter is a big safety bonus. I never lost site of the port side horizon while in a turn. The boat also did not slide out as easy in a hard turn and did not heal over to the out side of the turn when I did get it to slide. A very stable hull design for a flat bottomed boat.

even with four on board and three on one side I did not seem to need as much trim as I would expect. the boat also rose out of the water evenly with very little bow rise. The steep bow enter cut out a lot of the hull slap from the chop but did not eliminate it. That's just a aspect of a flat hull design that you can never get completely away from but worth the fuel mileage in trade.

The large windows where great and welcomed addition. I would add( and will add to my boat) a center window wiper. There is just to much going on in that field of view to be looking thru water drops.

With the light load and smaller engine I think the boat rode at a down angle to much at slow speeds. I think that using a larger motor and adding storage, in the area opened up by moving the fuel tanks to the sides, will improve the way the boat sits in the water at rest or non planing speeds.

All in all I was impressed with the design and handling of the boat and would not mind spending the day fishing out of it. The placement of the downriggers is going to be a personal choice and depends on the angler. I heard a lot of talk about placing the downrigger aft of the cockpit rear wall in that big flat space and do not think that is would work out well. I do think that adding mount there for storage of the downriggers when they are not in use would be helpful in allowing a better fit for a rear canvas enclosure. but to handle the downrigger while fishing I think they should be placed 1/3 of the way from the rear of the cockpit on the side gunnel's. this way when you are handling them you are standing squarely behind the downrigger with your feet evenly spaced apart. it also allows you to swing the arm forward or aft and still be able to reach the balls and lines. It also clears up a stop for the angler to brace them selves in the corner while fighting a fish and latter for the netter to do the same. if the downriggers are in the back corner and you swing the arms forward you have to reach over the arm to get to the fish or have the arm and ball sticking out at a 90 in the way. same thing if you swing the arms aft from the corner position. now the arm is sticking out behind the boat where you are fighting the fish! good way to lose a fish. but like i said its a personal call on the placement.
marco422

City/Region: Salt Spring Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Gaiasika
Photos: Gaiasika
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scaled the Marinaut drawings off the website to 1/4 in = 1 foot for the use of dreamers until official drawings become available. Hope that's all right...

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Gaiasika&id=Marinaut_drawings&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: