The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Need a Longer Mast Head Light

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
petemos

State or Province: NS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-You-Later
Photos: C-You-Later
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Need a Longer Mast Head Light Reply with quote

Anyone know where you can get a longer Mast Head Light? As I just started to travel at night, and I realized that with my Radar on its pedestal the Mast Head Light is too short as the radar blocks it from behind. So I need a longer light rod or have to rewire and or buy the connector were the light is on top of the radar pedestal. That would mean taking off my radar and remounting everything with I really don't want to do.

Thanks Jim
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, your local boat dealer (any mfr) should have good catalogs that have all kinds of lighting supplies and equipment. Much more detailed than what you see in WM. I found a second base for my anchor light that way. Now I can either have it on the radar arch, or on the front of the house roof.

Steve

Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, what's that sticking up above your radar dome? If that's your GPS, you could put a light up there by disconnecting the gps dome at the top, removing the gps puck, put it on a short stick somewhere else (doesn't need to be that high, you may be able to get by with using an internal antenna if your gps has one). Then, pull new wires for a light using the old gps wires as a fishtape down through the radar mount. Or even use the old gps cable as a light electrical cable if it'll handle the current, not sure of the composition of the GPS cable. If you use an LED light, most any cable will work.

That looks exactly like the radar mount I have on Captain's Cat...

Had a similar mount on Captain's Choice, where I mounted the light on top and the puck on the side.

Or put the gps puck where the anchor light is... Wink I had two GPS on the Captain's Choice, one on the side of the radar mount and one back near the 8' VHF antenna. Have two on the CAT too, redundancy is my friend!

Lots of options, KISS principle rules!! Thumbs Up

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
petemos

State or Province: NS
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: C-You-Later
Photos: C-You-Later
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Need a Longer Mast Head Light Reply with quote

Thanks Guys. I will go to a local dealer and see if they have a longer mast, before trying to replace the GPS Puck with the light. If I go that route I may see if I can just get the attachment that adds a second place to install the light along side the GPS Puck.

Jim
dave

City/Region: Riverview
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Cocoon
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem with my radar. I had a taller mast installed and I replaced it with an LED to cut current draw at anchor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: