City/Region: Salem
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Rock-C
Photos: Rock-C
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawn
could you post a link to your web site, with time and / or old age, I don't remember where I found it.
Thanks

makushin

City/Region: Juneau, AK
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1995
Vessel Name: Becka Dee
Photos: Becka Dee
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Juneau King Crab Reply with quote

You can do OK in Juneau on King Crab. A good place is North of Portland Island in 300 feet or greater. Stay out of Barlow Cove as I filled a pot with greater than 50 Kings last year and everyone was female or under sized. Juneau area is specially managed so Alaska residents need a special use permit for area 11A....the permit is free but you still need to get one.
shogimac

City/Region: Klawock
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: SISU
Photos: Tonie O
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I get to the web site by typing "Tonie O" into Google. It is on AOL so sometimes they change the URL but Tonie has it linked so that the site comes up first using google. We tried updating as we go but often are out of computer range so we keep our log and do most of the update upon return.

Nancy H, Rocky Pass is just plain wonderful! It took me our third trip before I was willing to brave it. Once we passed through, I'd have a hard time going any other way. Like you, I was concerned. I used chart 17372, Keku Strait, Monte Carlo Island to Entrance Island. Once in the pass, I dropped the chart and followed the very well placed and numbered markers that makes it easy. Larger boats must time this well and not error, however our shallow draft and ability to maneuver makes it safe and fun. It is expansive and fairly flat, well protected and you can pull off most anywhere. Lots of wildlfe and full of dungees and clams. We transited north and south and spent a night. I saw one boat and one kayak the entire time. I really can't say enough. The chart is most useful when approaching from the south but once your in the pass, the markers are well placed and you have to just believe. Several areas are 5-7 feet deep
and you make some hairpin turns, however, Wrangell narrows is probably more hazardous due to traffic. It can be safely run at high or low in a C-Dory. I'm going back!

OK, now that I looked over the charts. Port Frederick and Neka Bay has King crabs. I have also heard but not seen or tasted the results from Glacier Bay but supposed to be excellent.

Shawn
Bearbait

City/Region: North Pole
C-Dory Year: 1991
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, I'll probablyt ask more questions as it gets closer to the time of our trip.
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawn,

Thanks for the chart reference on Rocky Pass!!

When I was in that area in 1992, the US Coast Guard has just removed all buoys and markers in Rocky Pass to discourage tourists.

Who places and maintains the markers that you followed? Are they on the chart?

I want to try this route next year.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
shogimac

City/Region: Klawock
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: SISU
Photos: Tonie O
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Rocky Pass Reply with quote

Hello Larry H,

I had heard those rumors on my first trip in 2001. The numbered markers are on the chart and placed by the Coast Guard. The area called the "Summit" is said to be dredged and was the reason the pass was not used years back (locals say). Again, I found it well marked and safe. I hope to go around POW Island this year but I'd like to pass through and spend a day in Kake. on one end or the other.

Shawn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: