The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Sloppy Teleflex steering

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:54 am    Post subject: Sloppy Teleflex steering Reply with quote

This season early on I first notice my motor dropping over to the side after trailering. I had to add fluid to the helm only a couple of times in the last 3 years, this year I had to top it off twice in 3 months. I ran my hand around the steering cylinder; sure enough there was SeaStar hydraulic fluid at both ends. At first I thought it was loose line connections so I tightened them up, thought I had fixed the problem...no go. So finally emailed Teleflex, they suggested I replace the cylinder seals and gave me the part number.

This came in the middle of our boating season and I wasn’t thrilled with the prospect of spending a day fiddling with a repair job with uncertain outcome. As it turned out the repair only took about 2 hours from seal replacement to system bleed. The instruction that come with the kit are fairly easy to understand, and it come with the seal tool. I purchased the line that connects the SeaStar fluid to the helm, and used some tape to suspend the hydraulic fluid and poked a hole in the bottle with a needle provide with the connecting tube kit. To bleed the system I incorporated the assistance of my 11 year old son to turn the wheel back and forth, it does take two.

First post repair sea trial was remarkable, all the slop was gone. After 20 hours there is no perceivable oil usage and the seals are tight. Previously I had to continually steer the boat, now it just tracks down the line; what a difference.

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
Nunya

Photos: Nunya
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My past experience with hydraulic steering ( sea star, bay star) is the seals only last 3 ~5 years and need to be replaced. I don't know if its the salt or road grime getting on the polished rod and damaging the seals or the seals getting hard from setting all winter. I picked up a seal kit the other day as I noticed some fluid on the underside of the cylinder on last trip out. Your right...no big deal to replace them. It's just better to do it at home as out on the water. Kinda like wheel bearings...better at home than on the side of the road.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must have the best ones ever made as they are 11 years old with no problems. Anyone have wood to knock on???

Last edited by T.R. Bauer on Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.R. Bauer wrote:
I must have the best ones ever made as they on 11 years with no problems. Anyone have wood to knock on???

I just use my head when in need of a wooden object... Laughing

breausaw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.R. Bauer wrote:
I must have the best ones ever made as they are 11 years old with no problems. Anyone have wood to knock on???

You will blow a seal for sure next trip out. Laughing
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

breausaw wrote:
T.R. Bauer wrote:

Jay,

Thanks a ton.....LOL...BTW I keep seeing you on my way to Whittier or Seward earlier in the year when you are coming home....I was kind of hoping the next time I see the Triple Jay would be on the water.....The boating season has been pretty kind to us until this week. Let's hope our flat seas and dry weather return.

Tim
breausaw

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.R. Bauer wrote:
breausaw wrote:
T.R. Bauer wrote:

Jay,

Thanks a ton.....LOL...BTW I keep seeing you on my way to Whittier or Seward earlier in the year when you are coming home....I was kind of hoping the next time I see the Triple Jay would be on the water.....The boating season has been pretty kind to us until this week. Let's hope our flat seas and dry weather return.

Tim

And I hope the Silvers in PWS are taking the hook as furiously as they did last weekend.

The season has been phenomenal!
DoryLvr

City/Region: Cape Charles
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Litl' Tug
Photos: Litl' Tug
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you answered a question for me with regard to my steering. I leak a little fluid in my steering unit. Where are these seals? I notice a tiny bit of fluid on the unit under the console. Where did you find instructions on how to add fluid? My steering is a tad sloppy too.

"The art of seamanship is never allowing yourself to get in a situation where you have to know anything about the subject."
breausaw

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoryLvr wrote:
Well you answered a question for me with regard to my steering. I leak a little fluid in my steering unit. Where are these seals? I notice a tiny bit of fluid on the unit under the console. Where did you find instructions on how to add fluid? My steering is a tad sloppy too.

The seals I replaced were on the steering cylinder attached to the motor. If your helm is leaking that’s different. I would first check the line connections that attach to the helm. Back them off a tad then snug back up, be careful to not over tighten.

Go to the Teleflex web site to download instruction on bleeding the system, you will need the part number of your helm. Emil or call their tech support also, I would probable do this before attempting any repair.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: