The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Is the Tomcat 255 still being built?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GulfSailor

City/Region: Nature Coast
State or Province: FL
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:36 am    Post subject: Is the Tomcat 255 still being built? Reply with quote

Hello all.
I'm already a cat convert as we sail a PDQ 32 catamaran sailboat.
However, we're thinking of transitioning to a powerboat and the Tomcat 225 seems to fit the bill in almost every respect that suits us.

We don't have any problem with buying pre-owned, but we've never seen anything later than an '08.
We did see this ad for a 2011 which appears to have been placed by C-Dory themselves:
http://www.usedboats.com/boat-listing/2011-C-Dory-Marine-Inc-Tomcat-255-OEM--25/106189143

But even though there's a verification system to confirm the email address of anyone that responds I've had no response to my enquiry, which leads me to wonder if C-Dory is still in business, and if so what can their customer service be like.
I did manage to track down a previous C-Dory dealer that was fairly close to me, but he could provide no information other than that he ceased doing business with them because they had so many quality control problems, and that they have been in and out of bankruptcy.

So, we really like the concept and the look of the Tomcat, but I'm not exactly getting a warm and fuzzy feeling about the company that builds/built it.
The questions I like to find the answers to are (a): What's the production history and is there a year that's considered to be the best, and (b): What's the real C-Dory story?

I can usually find this sort of information fairly easily with Google, but in this case there's little out there except for press release type reviews and multiple copies of every ad that's ever been listed.

Thanks.

colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Tomcats are still being built. yes there was a period a few years ago where C-dory underwent 3 different owners in as many years. One set of owners thought they could mass produce what is a niche boat, pressured dealers to carry lots of stock, and generally did not do well by the brand. Finally C-Dory was sold to Triton Marine. They will build boats to order. Like much of the boatbuilding industry, they are hanging on through bad times. There is a link to their site on the home page of this site. I would recommend you contact Marc at Wefings Marine in (near) Appalachicola Florida. They are excellent and frequent contributors on this site. I have never heard anything bad about them. A site member, just bought a 255 Tomcat, "Thataway" He will be selling his other cat "Captains Cat. Look down on the right side of this site's homepage for C-Dorys for sale by owner and you will see about everything now on the market. I think this site is the main place people come to to buy/sell C-Dorys.
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can call Scott Boysen at Triton
His phone number is 360-303-6315

Triton Marine Industries
5375 LaBounty Drive
Ferndale, WA 98248

(360) 393-3283 Phone
(360) 922-0842 Fax
info@tritonmarine.us

Alok's TC 255 is for sale, too

Best

Alok

City/Region: League City
State or Province: TX
Photos: Top Cat
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it's in Florida...
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All correct above. One used TC255, Captain's Cat, just came on the market, so if you want used, that is the best bet. If you want new, Triton will build it and Marc at Wefings will sell it to you!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

GulfSailor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, that's all good news. Very Happy

As long as a couple of things fall into place I'm going to try to get up to Wefings in the next week or two, which should be a good starting point.
I see that Alok's Tomcat is there, so we'll be able to see one first hand if it hasn't been sold.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to Pensacola on Aug 19 to pick up and bring home THATAWAY, and as you have been told, CAPTAIN'S CAT my current TC255 is for sale in VA. You're welcome to meet me at Dr Bob's place and walk around THATAWAY too if you want to see one first hand, I'm sure he would not mind.

I like the older hulls better as they had the decraguard interiors that you can cut and modify. The newer hulls have a molded interior, one piece that is all fiberglass and very hard to customize. On all of the older ones, you could remove all of the cabinetry to get to the inner hulls or rebuild or replace it. A definite plus in my book.

The 22s underwent the same design changes in the late 2000's, I think they have gone back to decraguard but I'm not sure about the TCs. The only later model TCs I have seen have the all molded interior!

I'm on the gulf coast this week on shipbuilding business but no time to go east to look at my new (to me) TomCat!

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Is the Tomcat 255 still being built? Reply with quote

I'm not totally sure but I don't think Triton has built any Tomcats yet. No worries before you order one you can talk to Tomcat owners here and see what they would ask to have changed if they were having a new boat built. Loads of good experience with these boats right here on this site.
D.D.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure that saying that C Dory had been Bankrupt is correct. The company has changed hands several times. As they change hands, the assets or the name is picked up, but not the liabilities. Percent wise, there are probably more C Dory products in use years after build than any other boat. They just don't "die"--They keep on running--and rarely may need some fairly easy repair.

My understanding is that Triton Marine has built several of the Tom Cat 255's. I would hesitate to buy any vintage of of the Tom Cat. Captain Charlie is buying my "Thataway"--and I would be happy to show it to you any time you are in the Pensacola area before August 19Th (when Charlie picks up "Thataway".)

I agree with Charlie about the ease of modifying the older boats. "Thataway" comes with a second 30 gallon water tank--and it will be fairly easy to put in place because of the way the interior is built.

I have recently seen Alok's boat--and it is also a very nice boat--and would be an excellent buy at Marc Grove's shop.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, did you mean you would "not" hesitate to buy any vintage of the Tomcat?
GulfSailor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerbum wrote:

I'm hoping that's what was meant! Wink

Bob, thanks for the invitation to Pensacola, but it's a 700 mile round trip from here which is a bit too far for a quick look.
I'm hoping to get to Wefings in the next couple of weeks to see Alock's boat, and if 'Captains Cat' is in Sarasota in a few weeks I should be able to make the trip there.

If started reading the 'Thataway' thread and it seems to confirm what the local ex-dealer told me.
He said that in his opinion the Tomcat was an excellent concept and design but with poor execution of the final construction.
It was as though the fitting out was done by minimum wage workers with no understanding or training in the requirements of marine construction.

It seems from the thread and pics that the issues were down to ignorance, laziness, and corner cutting, coupled with poor QC, rather than actual design issues.

Finally (for now Smile ) does anyone know what year the construction of the interior changed?

Thanks.
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How far are you from Punta Gorda?
A very nice 25 cruiser is for sale
http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=15815
GulfSailor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrentB wrote:
How far are you from Punta Gorda?
A very nice 25 cruiser is for sale
http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=15815

Thanks, it looks to be a lovely boat but we're really set on a cat.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GulfSailor wrote:
rogerbum wrote:

I'm hoping that's what was meant! Wink

Finally (for now Smile ) does anyone know what year the construction of the interior changed?

Thanks.

I'm sure that's what Bob meant!! Laughing

And to answer your question, I think the interior changed around 2008-9, I think I saw one at the Seattle Boat Show in Jan 2009 that had the new interior which included a headliner (very nice) along with the molded interior. I think Triton would build you one with the old interior if you asked nicely and put a bunch of $$ on the table. Or you could give my Cat a new home before I have to take her to the shelter! Mr. Green

If you're going to Wefings, Dr. Bob is not far away!

Good luck with your search hope you find what you're looking for. Remember, A Cat IS BY NO MEANS A Dog [My new motto! Laughing
c-ness

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C-weetness
Photos: C-weetness
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We bought our tomcat (an older 24 version) from Wefings and could not be happier. The cat has a much better ride and the extra room in the berth is great. You'll love a cat!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: