The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Making Tom Cat rear hatch watertight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Making Tom Cat rear hatch watertight Reply with quote

Tom Little reports in this thread about a fishbox mod that he (and several other people) have made.

There is a related modification that I would like to make in the cockpit, and that is to make the big hatch in the stern watertight. It is a major conduit for water into the compartment underneath, and causes all kinds of mold, slime, etc. to accumulate. I heard one suggestion, to replace it with a locking hatch, but according to my rigger, a hatch of that size strong enough to support people walking on it will cost north of $400.

Is this a problem for you? How do you deal with it other than leaving your canvas up all the time?

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
Tom Little

City/Region: Punta Gorda
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: TomCat
Photos: TomCat
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: TomCat rear hatch water tightness Reply with quote

Our TomCat had a live bait well installed in the center of the rear cockpit under the platform. It was removed by the dealer prior to delivery and the space is used for batteries and oil supply tanks.

The original hatch leaked as I expect who cared about a live bait well cover leaking. The resolution of the leakage was crude but effective.

The replacement hatch is a Bomar Access Hatch, Slam Lid, measuring about 28X11 inches, less than $100. Obviously it was too small to fill in the original opening. The whole center step with the original opening was covered with a sheet of Starboard which was glued with Boatlife calk and screwed down. The appropriate opening was cut for the hatch. The mounting for the cushion was mounted on the Starboard.

After three years it does not leak and has proved to be satisfactorily sturdy.

Punta Gorda FL
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Hatch Reply with quote

I have not noticed too much trouble from it. In cold weather you need to make sure your drains are clear otherwise rain water (or hosing) will pool and then freeze your batteries in the battery trays.
Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: