View previous topic :: View next topic  
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Columbia Springer Shutdown Reply with quote

For Immediate Release Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Entire Columbia River closes to spring chinook angling Wednesday night

CLACKAMAS - Facing the second-lowest spring chinook counts on record for this date, Oregon and Washington fishery managers today decided to close all sport angling and commercial fishing for spring chinook in the Columbia River, effective 11:59 p.m. Wednesday night.

The decision closes the fishing season for salmon, steelhead and shad in the mainstem Columbia River between the mouth at Buoy 10 upstream to McNary Dam near the Oregon-Washington border. In addition, fishery managers decided to close the "select area" bays off the mainstem Columbia River near Astoria to sport angling and canceled previously scheduled commercial seasons in those areas. The commercial fisheries in Blind Slough/Knappa Slough, Deep River and Youngs Bay were slated to occur April 21 and April 25.

If the counts for spring chinook at Bonneville Dam improve during the coming weeks, fishery managers will consider re-opening the fishing seasons.

Pre-season predictions for 254,100 "upriver" spring chinook salmon to enter the Columbia River and cross Bonneville Dam have not materialized. To date, only 1,545 spring chinook have been counted at the dam. Over the last five years, an average of 31 percent of the run had passed by this time, which would equate to more than 70,000 fish. Fishery managers will meet at 11:30 a.m. April 27, to assess the run and make a new run size prediction.

Fish managers set the Columbia River spring chinook fishery based on the number of fish expected to return from the ocean and the allowable impact to wild salmon and steelhead stocks listed under the federal Endangered Species Act. "Impacts" are the unintended mortalities associated with handling and releasing wild fish. The allowed non-Indian impacts are 2 percent of the total runs of ESA-listed Snake River spring/summer chinook and Upper Columbia River spring chinook.

Descriptions of the "select areas" scheduled to close can be found in the 2005 Oregon Sport Fishing Regulations on pages 93-94. The information also is available on the ODFW Web page at http://www.dfw.state.or.us/ODFWhtml/Regulations/2005_reg_changes.htm#columbia

Additional information about the Columbia River spring chinook season also may be found on ODFW's Web page at http://www.dfw.state.or.us/OSCRP/CRM/action_notes.html .

###

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

B~C

City/Region: Bend
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and so ends another springer season, a typical final talley for me, two trips, no fish (I'm slacking, I usually get out at least four times with the same results, I guess I'm getting to be a more efficient springer fisherman)....I've been saving my fishing MoJo for estuary sturgeon and the July 3 ocean opener Smile This closure means I can go boating on weekends again.
Wheeler Dealer

City/Region: Wheeler, OR
Photos: Denebola
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad I got plenty of steelhead in the smoker this winter Thumbs Up.

Jon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: