The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Gluey Stuff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bearbait

City/Region: North Pole
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:31 am    Post subject: Gluey Stuff Reply with quote

I've got a couple questions, first, I had to pull the swim step and move it over an inch because the Honda 90 in the fully trimmed down position would hit it. Besides the bolts, it was held on with some type of adhesive. I plan on replacing it using 3M 4200, does this seem like the right choice?
I need to fill a slew of holes. Some holes are through the fiberglass and need complete filling, what should I use to fill them before attempting a gelcoat matching experiment?
I have numerous bolt or screw holes that go into balsa and I want to drill out oversize, fill and then redrill. Some are horizontal and some are vertical. What would be best for each. Thanks
Redƒox

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only I could think of the name of it Exclamation I would use this stuff that is epoxy based, works and hardens while cold and wet to! even sticks to wet surfaces. I believe it is for underwater repairs Idea Got it at a hardware store somewhere Crook (don't remember) Maybe somebody can chime in here and recall. Comes in a transparent stick tube, and there are several types for different applications. It's the best, and like I said 'works while cold and wet' Thumbs Up Ya kneed it together when ya lob it off with a knife.
Mighty Bite

City/Region: Fairbanks, Alaska
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Mighty Bite
Photos: Mighty Bite
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bearbait,

You'll probably get a bunch of good ideas on how to handle the swim step holes/gelcoat, but I'll give you my 2 cents.

I would use West Epoxy 105 to fill the holes. The C-Dory factory has recommended a product called Duraglass, (green and thick), but I think the West epoxy would be a more sure fire and probably easier product to use. Also, it will be unequivocally permanent! Then do a cosmetic touch up with gelcoat to match the C-Dory white.

C-Dory has slightly altered the color of the gel coats over the years and I'm not sure if the white is still available for a '91. I know its not for their '91 red. An outfit in Kent called Spectrum is their supplier and they carry
the gelcoat for redoing stuff.

West epoxy is available at Fairbanks Paint & Glass locally. Probably other places as well. The glass expert down there might be able to come up with a recommendation as to how best to handle the hole patching as well.

I might have some white gel coat you could use (I'll have to check on that and find it). I used it on a '91 that I had and it was close but not a perfect match. Runs in my mind that Spectrum could no long provide an exact match, so I settled for the closest they could come.

You shouldn't have to wait long for some other input on the site.

Any questions, give me a shout, as I live in Fairbanks.
Phone: 456-7306

Mark on 3rd Byte

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Fox-

Sounds like a similar product to a Plumber's Epoxy Putty Stick, which is a nice addition to carry onboard among your tools and emergency repair materials inventory for those unexpected surprises!!! Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Waterball

City/Region: Seward, Alaska
C-Dory Year: 1981
Vessel Name: Waterball
Photos: Waterball
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm by no means an expert but a friend of mine does fiberglass work and I recently watched him do some work on his Osprey. He was changing the i/o diesel to twin 4 strokes and needed to fill the holes from the outdrive and bolts. He used marine grade plywood to fill the big hole from the outdrive and wooden dowls in the bolt holes. He dipped the dowls in fiberglass resin before pounding them in. You may have to drill the hole out to fit the dowl tight. At that point you can sand the dowl down flush and apply a new gel coat. From what I'm told once the gel coat is set its hard as nails and not much worry about water penetration. For the larger hole for the outdrive he had to apply several layers of fiberglass, I don't think you'd have to do that for just a few holes. I did the same thing when I pulled the old(smaller) pedestal seat from my boat this spring and replaced it with the new(bigger) pedestal. I used the 5200 for the new lag screws which I attached to a glassed in piece of plywood instead of going into the deck. Here's a picture.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waterball

First class ideas and execution. I used to drill out the worn screw holes in my cold molded mahogany plywood FJ sailboat whenever they became loose from removing and reinstalling them due to annual repainting (clear epoxy) and put birch dowels in the holes and epoxy them in, then drill new pilot holes in which to reinsert the screws. Never had to re-do any of them once done.

Your pedestal project is first class in both engineering/strength and appearance! Good model for anyone wanting to add a seat in not only the cabin of a classic, like yours, but also in the cockpit of any boat as well. Good work!!! Joe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: