The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

TomCat steering hydraulic fluid spray
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chromer

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in reverse for a couple 3 minutes yesterday and noticed fluid on my starboard floor. Is this ok? I pulled the helm cap and can still sight fluid. I have no air bubbles and steering is fine.

Should I be concerned?

Checkpoint II (SOLD 10/2020)
Alure Bertram 28
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd top off the helm unit and watch it closely. You might try it again for a shorter period of time and see if you can figure out where the fluid is coming from. The cap is vented and that's probably the source.

We have never found why it does this in reverse. Maybe Teleflex could answer that question?

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject: Fluid Reply with quote

chromer wrote:
I was in reverse for a couple 3 minutes yesterday and noticed fluid on my starboard floor. Is this ok? I pulled the helm cap and can still sight fluid. I have no air bubbles and steering is fine.

Should I be concerned?

Seastar sent me my third system over this winter...at the end of last season my last brand new system went south again. This time they sent me a beefier model than what was installed twice before. They also sent me new rams - I reinstalled every part of the steering system except the lines from the helm to the stern. So far no problems. I did the bleeding on my own by turning the pump, etc.

If you have fluid it means you have a leak or a pressure surge - not unusual for some of the helms to leak when in reverse (at least in my experience on the Tomcat) due to the pressure surge. Clean it up and watch it closely. The next time you are in reverse, put your ear down to the helm to see if you hear the "ssssssss" indicating a reverse pressure surge likely to result in more spillage. ALWAYS keep extra fluid and whatever necessary funnel you need - I once lost complete steering due to a back pressure surge in strong winds. I would have been on rocks without twin engines and a fortunately close mooring. The quick fix to this problem (pressure surge blowing out most of your fluid) is to refill the fluid in the helm of course. You will immediately get your steering back.

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captains Cat wrote:
I'd top off the helm unit and watch it closely. You might try it again for a shorter period of time and see if you can figure out where the fluid is coming from. The cap is vented and that's probably the source.

We have never found why it does this in reverse. Maybe Teleflex could answer that question?

Charlie

Good question!

Are there some check valves in the system that won't respond properly when the forces are reversed? (Are there any check valves in the system?)

Maybe the increased back pressure when the motor is tilted in reverse and a power surge happens, overloads the reservoir with returning fluid, causing it to spill out the vent? (More likely)

Pure speculation, of course!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Alli Cat

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Alli Cat
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Fluid Reply with quote

We also are leaking steering fluid. At first I thought it was just coming from the filler cap. We replaced that and see that the fluid is still leaking at the rear of helm in large amounts. Based on the info shared here, I question weather to replace seals or replace the entire helm?

Fred

AlliCat

Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Unique on Napolean has had some pretty good luck with Teleflex replacing bad units for him for no charge. I'd call them, describe your problem and ask them.

Charlie
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Yes Reply with quote

Captains Cat wrote:
Matt Unique on Napolean has had some pretty good luck with Teleflex replacing bad units for him for no charge. I'd call them, describe your problem and ask them.

Charlie

Teleflex has been extremely generous and has offered me excellent customer service on this issue.

I had a run of bad luck and they did good. First pump failed first season...2nd pump failed end of last season (season 3). They sent me a beefier model and new rams as I mentioned and I wanted to do the installation to know the system.

Good luck getting it fixed.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my case, Teleflex replaced the helm unit over the weekend. The boat was only a few weeks old, and Marc at Wefings sent his tech up with the power bleeder and installed and bled the new system. I have not had any problems sense. However, I have not backed down really hard since.

When my helm leaked it was massive amounts of fluid--mostly from the rear seals. I had backed down moderately hard, but not harder than I have in many other boats.

I wonder if this characteristics is related to the "liquid tie bar" system. I suspect that because of this connection--there are no check valves betweent he two cylinders--as there might be in other type of systems.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
State or Province: FL
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple reasons for more hydraulic pressure in steering system in reverse . The pointy ends of the boat and motors are easier to steer being pushed through the water [less resistance to directional change ]than the props pulling the boat backwards through the water [reverse].
Marc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: