DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amanda, thankfully we have all of you teachers to instill wisdom into the rest of us. You know the saying, "It takes a village....". Thumbs Up
C-Brat #16
jacuthbert

City/Region: Vail
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Pohaku
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: depth sounder Reply with quote

Oh, I thought it was "...those that can, do..." although my dad used to tell me "if you want to learn something, teach it".
Looking forward to meeting everyone...
Amanda
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"As for depth sounders...I have decided to use a knotted line...I'm sure you will all hope for the best...
Amanda"

Amanda, just remember LINDSAY'S LAW:

WHEN THE DRAFT OF YOUR VESSEL EXCEEDS THE DEPTH OF THE WATER, YOU ARE MOST ASSUREDLY AGROUND!
Disgust

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject: depth sounder Reply with quote

Knot Right,
The nice thing about a fishfinder is that you can see bottom contours. Like you in twenty feet of water but you were just in 40 feet of water. Maybe it's time to pull back on the thottle and time to start thinking about tilting you motor up. The mark twain thing does work but the depth finder is cheaper than a deck hand. The fishfinders don't complain about the music you listen to, or need food, or say I'm cold, too hot etc. I mean who wants to be called Capt Runaground? Embarrased
D.D.

jacuthbert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject: depth sounder Reply with quote

OK,OK, I get the picture...I will buy a depth sounder before I go on my next big lake trip! It was the not needing a deck hand thing that finally sold me!
Amanda
jacuthbert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: free fishfinder I lost the message! Reply with quote

I lost the private message about the free fish finder. I think that person sent me a message about my request for the free fishfinder and I accidently deleted it...or something...my email went spastic earlier this evening and now, even though I know I had a message from that person earlier, it is no where to be found...HELP!
Amanda
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amanda - see this thread. Warren (Doryman) sent you the PM.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amanda, I sent you one too, along with an e-mail. As Roger said, you need to contact Doryman (Warren), click on Roger's thread.

Charlie
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning Amanda, the most trouble free bullet proof little sounder on the market is the Humminbird 160. My store sells a ton of them every year and we never see any back. None. I've put 2 in my c dorys. Easy install, I just glue the transducer in under the v berth where the skin goes single thickness and run to the electronic buss for power. The 19 and the 22 both have shown bottom up to 4400 rpm thru the skin (until) the bow comes too far out of the water at 20 mph. Since I hardly cruise at this rate it's no worries. the thing even shows temperature of the water, ie the hull temp. for less than a hundred bucks problem solved. Personally I like a stand alone gps and sounder as in tight spots I don't want to be busy toggling screens. I find it easier to look at my displays. A sounder is a nice thing to have. George
OceanFare

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Depthsounder Options Reply with quote

You have several options:

1. Multi-function chartplotter units: These are great of course but you could spend thousands of dollars on a unit. If you already have such a unit you may be able to hook in a depth transducer to add that data to your system.

2. Fishfinders: These work great (what I used) as noted by others, you can see the contour of the bottom and you can see visually whether it's getting deeper or more shallow.

3. Depth Displays: Or you could go with a plain jane device that displays only depth. You can get ones with displays that mount to your dash. Here are some examples of these depth displays.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OceanFare--I couldn't help but notice that each of your 3 posts link to products which are carried in your on line store.

Are you a C Dory owner, or want to be? Many of the C Brats have marine businesses--they support the web site by paid advertisments and refrain from slipping in their web sites on posts which are meant to help another C Brat who owns or is interested in buying a C Dory.

If you are a person who owns a C Dory, or wants to own one, welcome aboard, and please tell us something about your self.

Regards,

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL

Last edited by thataway on Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
OceanFare--I could help but notice that each of your 3 posts link to products which are carried in your on line store.

Are you a C Dory owner, or want to be? Many of the C Brats have marine businesses--they support the web site by paid advertisments and refrain from slipping in their web sites on posts which are meant to help another C Brat who owns or is interested in buying a C Dory.

If you are a person who owns a C Dory, or wants to own one, welcome aboard, and please tell us something about your self.

Regards,

Thanks Dr. Bob, good catch. I was wondering why OceanFare's first three posts were in response to old threads. It looks like you figured out the common denominator. As Artie Johnson's german soldier character used to say, "Very Interesting..."

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
OceanFare

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway,

Thanks for the friendly nudge. Yes, I manage OceanFare.com and was hoping to promote it on these forums. I figured it would be okay to slip in links as long as my posts are relevant, honest, and helpful.

I do not own a C-Dory but I am interested in them and all boating in general - I used to do a lot of fishing (freshwater on a lake) as well.

Anyway, I would still like to contribute to the forum but I take your kindly criticism to heart and will refrain from posting a link every time.

Thanks,
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: depth sounder Reply with quote

I called OceanFare using the number provided in the link. I asked where are you from? The fellow answered Sarasota, Florida, but we build the furniture in Ohio and Pa. I said what, and then he asked what are you looking for I said OceanFare he said oh yeah we handle a bunch of different websites. Just an FYI this guy does furntiture also!! A Boatiture Store Shocked

D.D.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMX International Corporation is located at
1877 Porter Lake Drive, Sarasota, FL 34240, and is the parent company of OceanFare.

They have 16 web sites--most of them are furniture. Several are Amish, there is bamboo, garden, radio control models etc--almost anything you want to buy. Some use the same phone number as the OceanFare web site.

These folks are members of the Sarasota BBB and have been around since 2003. However, it seems a bit inappropiate to be advertising on C Brats.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: