The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Bottom Paint .....Paint Line
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck
Tug

City/Region: Sault Ste. Marie
State or Province: ON
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Drifter
Photos: Drifter
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weather was warm today,so i got the chance to fill some screw holes with Marine-Tex,will leave a heat lamp on overnite to help in curing.I decided to go ahead and put on the 1st coat of Interprotect 2000e,lots of crawling around.I hope the next 5 coats go on easier, lots of work.I will put a heater in the shelter tonite to help in the curing. Now that i have the 1st coat on, i can take my time doing the rest.

Whats the overcoat time between coats of Interprotect 2000e

On the can its says maxium 6 months
On the product descriptin site it says maxium 2 weeks

Thanks Tug
C-Otter

City/Region: Superior
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: C-Otter
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tug: I have can of 2000E and the label say's At 50 degrees min. 5 hrs recoat max 20 hours. 60 degs, min 3 hrs max 18 hours. Min. to apply Antifouling paint 7 hrs, max 9 hrs. C-otter
Tug

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is strange: Recoat with Interprotect 2000e

Seems to be different recoat times with the two colours

Think i will have to call them! Tug
Tug

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Called Interlux.com and spoke to s-1 from technical support and i was informed that for both the Interprotect 2000e white & grey colours the maxium recoat time with another coat of Interprotect 2000e is six months.Also both white and grey colours can now be appplied at a temperature of 41-60 degree F*. The formula was not charged but after excessive testing they found that the recoat time could be moved to six months.I was told i must have an older can of epoxy if the recoat time says two weeks.

Would it be alrite to put another coat of Interprotect 2000e today,everthing seem all dry.
Tug
Tug

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Applied 2nd coat of Interprotect ( white ) 2000e today.The painting was a lot easier/faster than yesterday.I removed the lateral support (metal sawhorses), and am using the boat stands there instead.The only problem i had was the wax paper really stuck to the hull,i had to sand some of it out.That was a pain in the butt.Forecast is for bad weather for the next few days so i have to take a break from working on my boat.Posted some photo's. Tug
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just finishing up Kerri On's bottom paint job, quite the challenge in between rain showers. I've raised the waterline close to 3 inches aft and only a quarter inch forward. The factory waterline is for an extremely light boat, ie no fuel no water.
Loaded for cruising she's a bit heavier. I went with Interlux Micron CSC for self polishing and no buildup. I didn't do the barrier coat as the hull is vinylester resin coated at the factory and we haven't seen C dory's develop blisters. Given the challenges of BC weather I didn't go with the extra expence or hassle. The toughest part of the job was pulling off the cute pinstrip at the waterline. it would peel up for a few inches at a time and then break, solvent washing and sanding was also fun.
Tug

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean about the weather, it's pouring rain here now.I should have her all painted in two to three weeks if i am lucky.If you get the chance to post some pictures i would like to see how that pinstripe looks,might add one myself.Tug
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tug, I took off the factory pinstripe at the waterline to raise my
waterline. I haven't put one on yet as I want to be sure I've gone high enough on my line. should be back in the water this evening, wet again here today George
Tug

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomorrow i will apply the 3rd coat of 2000e and Saturday the 4th and final coat.I will be applying Pettit Hydrocoat ablative bottom paint.I am not to sure about the time/application window that i have to apply the bottom paint.I e-mailed Pettit and was told just follow the recoat instructions on the 2000e can.

Here's what i think it says: hrs between coats of 2000e and Bottom Paint
@ 41-60 F ..min 7 hrs max 9 or recoat when you can leave a thumb print without getting paint on thumb..

Does that time frame also apply to the 2nd coat of bottom paint or can i apply the 2nd coat of bottom paint the next day

I read somewhere that with Pettit Hydrocoat bottom paint you dilute the paint 5-10 % and also wet the bottom of the boat with fresh water before you apply the paint. Is that true??? and do you also wet the surface for the 2nd coat of bottom paint???

Does anyone know the correct procedure on how this is done! Thanks Tug
Tug

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Applied 3rd coat of 2000e today,painting is getting easier.I used some knee pads which helped alot.Will wait untill the weather is warmer to put on the final coat of 2000e and the bottom coat.Tug
Tug

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i think i figured out a way to apply the 4th coat of 2000e without any fears of it drying beyond the thumb print test before i was done applying the 2000e. I talked to a Interlux technician today and he suggested that the drying window can be a problem especially if you work alone even if you apply thick coats. He suggested that i tape off half the boat, apply the 2000e, let dry to the thumb test and than apply the bottom paint and than do the other half. This is what a lot of people do and it will not have any adverse effects on the adhesion of the bottom paint. A simple solution, i would of thought that you had to apply the bottom paint all in one application to get the best results. Tug
Tug

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today i did the 4th coat of 2000e/applied two coats of Pettit Hydrocoat.I also used the thumb print test before applying the 2nd coat of Pettit.I only did half the boat and was able to easily reach the thumb print window.I ordered another quart of 2000e so i can apply a thick 4th coat to the other half of the boat before applying bottom paint.Pettit Hydrocoat is very easy to apply, i wetted the hull before application and added a few ounces of clean water to the amount that a applied per application instructions.First coat looks blochey but it evens out as it dries/second coat fixes any problems.You definitely need a jump suit for this type of bottom paint.Its good that it cleans up easily, it drips all over you.After i do the rest of the boat i will let it dry a few days and than apply a 3th and final coat of Pettit Hydrocoat.Another benifit of doing it this way is that you can paint all your boat stand positions before hand.I posted a few pictures of the process so far.Tug
Tug

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today i applied the 4th coat of 2000e and 2 coats of Pettit Hydrocoat.Tomorrow i will apply some extra Hydrocoat to the waterline and to the leading/trailing edges. The end is in sight,would of been easier if i had a big garage and a hoist.
Tug

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The work is done, finally.I ended up with 4 coats of 2000e and 3 coats of Pettit Hydrocoat bottom paint. That was alot of work for a senior citizen,turned 60 last month.ha!ha!.One good thing is that the Fall bottom paint touch up will not be as much work.I posted some pictures.Tug
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: