The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

applying a Keel Guard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacuthbert

City/Region: Vail
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Pohaku
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: applying a Keel Guard Reply with quote

I decided to apply a Keel Guard to my CD25. I am no spring chicken and the preparation took me quite awhile and lasted over several days. I finally arrived at the moment of truth this morning. It was time to break the little vials of stuff they give you and spread it over the keel areas that I had so carefully cleaned and prepared and then apply the guard. Needless to say, I had a very hard time of it as I got further under the hull. My arms started giving out on me and the guard finally would not stick the last 12 inches.
Now that you have heard my story of woe, I have a thought and a question.
I am thinking I will use "GOOP" to secure that last 12" on the keel. My worry is that "GOOP" will eat its way through the hull or somehow mess things up worse. SO my question is, can I safely use "GOOP" to apply the rest of the keel guard, or should I use some other adhesive?
Amanda
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Amanda,

I have used tons of GOOP, when I worked a Shriner's Hospital, for all kinds of shoe and brace (orthotics) work. With the right prep, it would stick to some of our plastics. I'm thinking it might work, but there may be something that would do the job better. Maybe Dr Bob, or some of the more experienced "repair, and rebuild" crowd might know better.

If I used the GOOP, I would certainly and severely tape over the keelGard to hold it in place until the GOOP has had 48 hours at least to set in place.

There may be some contact cement that would hold better, or maybe even a double sided gorilla strength tape that might work too.

Good luck. You are doing great.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

jacuthbert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: keel guard Reply with quote

Thank you Harvey. I plan to tackle this problem on Thursday. I will see if anyone else chimes in with some thoughts. Then I take a trip to the hardware store, and finish this little project!
Amanda
PS - You mention Shriners...my Dad and brothers are Masons (Scottish Rite)...I am a Jobie, does that mean you'll help me out if you see me in peril on the water?
Amanda
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amanda, is it the brand name "Keel Guard"? If so, I thought that had 3M adhesive tape pre-applied and that the prep was to scuff with a scotch brite pad, clean with acetone and apply 3M "primer" for the adhesive tape to bond. So I'm a bit confused. Did you run out of the primer? If so, I'd call the manufacturer, give them your sob story and see if they will send you a bit more (or at least point you where to obtain some).
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking 3M 5200 would be better. Before you do it though, cut a brace the right length that you can wedge in place to hold it while it sets up. There is a fast drying kind and I've seen lately where you can buy just a little tube of it for $5 or so rather than the 10/12 oz tube that's about $15.

For the wedge, just cut a sturdy stick the right length and put a "fork" in one end that is the shape of the keel guard. Try it first before you put the "glue" in there. Prop it at an angle from the driveway or trailer.

I think most all of us would help you if we saw you in trouble on the water or not! [and I'm not a Shriner, I won't fit in one of their little cars Rolling Eyes !]

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If so, I'd call the manufacturer, give them your sob story and see if they will send you a bit more (or at least point you where to obtain some).

Ditto to what Roger posted. That 3M adhesive is amazingly strong [bond]. I'd be leary of anything coming even close. Have no idea what the primer did/does and I nearly ran out myself applying ours.

And you're right; installing it is not the easiest thing in the world to do. If I had to do it again, I'd just get Rhino-line/Linex sprayed on.

DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Roger and Mark on this one too. My keel guard loosened up on me a bit several years ago and if my old memory serves me correctly, I contacted Keel Guard and they generously sent me their recommended adhesive. I applied it and have had no problems since.
C-Brat #16
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="localboy"]
Quote:
If I had to do it again, I'd just get Rhino-line/Linex sprayed on.

Mark, that is an interesting concept. Although our vessel does not "reside" in the water for any length of time necessitating bottom paint. I'm wondering if for those desiring bottom paint if the Rhino/Linex treatment would be possible for use in place of bottom paint. (I'm thinking the texture might slow you down, but what about the protection as a bottom paint?)

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
jacuthbert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: keel guard Reply with quote

You are correct, I ran out of the acetone that Keel Guard supplies...but I also ran out of strength...they say this is an easy one hour application...but while I am in the dirt under my CDory I am thinking I need the Incredible Hulk...
I think I will ask them for more of the adhesive...unless I just get fed up and use GOOP! after all, it's only 12 inches more!!!Surely it will work and I will be fresh when I do it!
I really like the Rhino liner idea. If this Keel Guard comes off, Rhino liner is my choice next time...
Thanks you guys, you are all the best!
Amanda
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: keel guard Reply with quote

jacuthbert wrote:
Thank you Harvey. I plan to tackle this problem on Thursday. I will see if anyone else chimes in with some thoughts. Then I take a trip to the hardware store, and finish this little project!
Amanda
PS - You mention Shriners...my Dad and brothers are Masons (Scottish Rite)...I am a Jobie, does that mean you'll help me out if you see me in peril on the water?
Amanda

Amanda, See, isn't this a great place. The experts just jump in and give you all the right fixes. If it is just acitone you ran out of that's an easy fix at the paint store, the rest (primer) should come from the manufacture.

As to being a Shriner, I'm not, but I worked there almost 8 years, (but I never slept in that "makes you whatever" hotel so don't know if I count or not.) A lady I helped in the Costco parking lot called me an officer and a gentleman. Was she ever confused -- more like I had her buffaloed. Hey, I'd do the same for you, on the water or not. (Probably wouldn't need help changing a tire on the water though Smile

Did love working with the kids there.

Good luck with the Keel Gard. By the way, It may flex a bit easier if it is warmed up a bit. Radiant heater or a hair dryer might help, just don't cook the boat. Cry

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
jacuthbert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject: keel guard Reply with quote

Harvey
It is the primer that ran low, rather than the other stuff. I would ask for more from the manufacturer, but I want to get this finished ASAP. I will investigate at the hardware store tomorrow when I go to town.
You do sound like a gentleman. That's always a nice thing to find, especially these days.
Thanks for your words of encouragement!
Amanda
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: