The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Installing a Remote Throttle Control.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wapiti

City/Region: sherwood Park
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Breeze
Photos: C-Breeze
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Installing a Remote Throttle Control. Reply with quote

Just got my new ConTrollKing and was wondering what is the best route to run the cable and where to place the controller? My kicker is on the port side ( opposite side of my battery compartment] on my 22' Angler. Also what is the recommended route to run power to the controller?
Thanks!
wapiti
m4boots

City/Region: Port Alberni
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Sea Saddle
Photos: C-Saddle
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: installing a remote throttle control Reply with quote

Hi Wapiti, I'm hoping our boats are similar enough for this to help, if not, might give you some ideas. I used split loom conduit and ran the cable and power wire together through a hole with a rubber boot on the starboard side of the splashwell where the fuel,electical, and steering lines entered the starboard lazarette. You should be able to zip-tie to one of these to keep it tidy and run it across the splashwell. The power wire was fused and connected to one of the power studs on the back of the 3/way power switch in this same lazarette. The cables to the remote followed the rest of the lines to the helm. The remote itself was mounted on the dash near the leading edge on the starboard side, keeping the cable hidden just behind the berth bulkhead. Used double sided tape and velcro for easy removal for cleaning.

On a side note, I also put a rectifier on the kicker that really helped keep the batteries up with all the use of the downriggers and electronics used while fishing with the kicker. The only problem I ran into was using power for the remote off the same battery I was charging, caused "dirty voltage" and the remote wouldn't work properly. Simply ran the remote, which draws low amps off the other post and all was well. Hope this helps without seeing your setup.

wapiti

City/Region: sherwood Park
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Breeze
Photos: C-Breeze
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Installing a Remote Throttle Control. Reply with quote

Hello M4Boots;
Thanks for the helpful information. I am going to use some of your suggestions. Do you work for Parks Canada? I retired from Canadian Wildlife Service. I'd like to see your boat someday.
Many Thanks Again!
Wapiti
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: