localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesn't look half bad, Greg. With a little care you could probably do the entire V-berth, even w/ it's complex curves.
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob & Karen wrote:
The following insulating and sound dampening paint was mentioned in another thread by the owner of the boat Pluto. Since it is much less expensive and can be brushed or rolled on, I was thinking of giving it a try in my v-berth. A gallon should provide 2+ coats. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Rob

http://www.hytechsales.com/prod150.html
I e-mailed these folks to see what they thought about using this for insulation. Here's their reply.

Hello,
The Acousti Coat would not be the best product as it has many of the same properties as an interior flat paint. The best solution would be the SC 1000. It is a high build acrylic elastomeric coating with multiple additives for sound and heat insulation. It is, frankly, what many products now on the market were modeled after (aka tried to copy). Information on this coating can be found here:
http://www.hytechsales.com/prodsc.html
Regards,
Support Team
Hy-Tech Thermal Solutions, LLC
159 Parkhill Blvd.
W. Melbourne, Fl 32904 U.S.A.
PH: (321) 984-9777

The SC1000 is $60/gallon, just like the Mascoat! Sad

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
Don and Brenda

City/Region: Camano Island, Wa
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: R-27 Tug
Photos: C-Quest
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see this product can be brushed or rolled on, and comes in 1 gal. or 5 gal. containers.
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered a gallon of the SC1000 product to try out. It was 88 bucks shipped and I plan to apply it with a brush/roller in the V berth. I will let you all know how it goes.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
bjidzik

City/Region: Juneau
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Betty Joe
Photos: Betty Joe
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered a gallon of Silent Running @ $120/gal from a local reseller. Shipping to Juneau, AK ended up costing more for Mascoat & HyTeck products. Silent Running (sr1000) can be applied by brush, roller or airless sprayer. Specs look impressive & it is Coast Guard approved for insulating and sound/vibration dampening.

Now I just need to find a heated garage to apply it Smile

Brian & Helen Idzik
Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two coats down and one to go. I have one gallon and it will be enough for three heavy coats on the side walls of the v-berth and the end wall where the anchor locker is located. That will give use plenty of untreated overhead panels to compare performance. The product is basic white and the thickest paint I have ever dealt with. I popped it open to stir it and realized there wasn't much point. It is some thick that it can really settle out. I would say it is like a Wendy's frosty that never melts if you are familiar with that treat. It does not drip at all and is very easy to apply with a brush. I am using a half inch for trim and a 2 1/2 inch for the walls and it goes fast and easy with each coat taking about 20 minutes. If it turns out to help significantly with condensation/noise, I will be buying another gallon for sure and do the rest of the v-berth not already covered with foam padding. We have grown quite fond of that foam.

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Changes&id=IMG_0320&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Changes&id=IMG_0337&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php
Rob & Karen

City/Region: Franklin
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Life of Riley
Photos: Life of Riley
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting Greg. Is the finish nice enough as it is or do you plan to put a top coat of something else on? Please let us know how it works. If you are happy with it I think I will give it a try. I am guessing one gallon would be enough for an entire 22 v-berth.

Rob
Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It dries flat white with a brushed texture and looks quite good. You could always have any paint store tint it for you for another color. I do not plan on any topcoat at all and I think a gallon would likely do at least a couple of coats in your boat. I plan to test it out overnight this weekend and will post my results. Third and last coat goes on tonight!
Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I got three heavy coats brushed on the sidewalls and anchor locker wall and did not quite finish up the gallon. I spent two nights in the boat during the last few days and the results are promising. I would say the most noticable difference is less noise with thermal insulation coming in second. It is noticably quieter up there but I wouldn't call it warmer. I wish I had one of those thermometer guns to verify but I can feel the difference in temp between the coated wall and uncoated wall with the back of my hand. Don't get me wrong, they are both still cold but the coating makes is slightly less so. The condensation is severely reduced but I would not say it's eliminated. I slept all zipped up with the canvas cover and hatch closed to make it worst case scenario and generated the standard condensation issue we are all familiar with. The treated walls were dry except way forward and near the uncoated ceiling it was somewhere between clammy and slightly wet. The wall adjacent to me was wet where uncoated and dry where coated so it really does make a difference! I still feel the need for some soft thermal insulation from those walls down low where a sleeper comes in contact with them and I will use a simple long panel section of removable foam for that (pics tonight).

So the moral is, yes it does work primarily for sound and second for thermal insulation but is still a long way from warm a fuzzy. I will buy a second gallon and do the rest of the v-berth but not the sections I already have covered in 1/8 inch foam. The foam IS warm and fuzzy and we loved it immediately as head padding so it stays.

The product goes so far at least with brushing that I will also add another coat to the walls for good measure. Spraying may allow for a thicker build and better overall results but I will leave that to someone else with a masking fetish to try.

80 bucks per shipped gallon (2 total for multiple coats in the berth) is worth it in my opinion and I am wondering how I will resist coating more of the boat. If Cindie takes a real notice to the difference, she will want to do the whole boat. Cold is Cold so we will see if the quieting adds enough motivation.

Greg
Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the foam I was looking for in the shape of a XL camping pad made by Alps Mountaineering. I bought it at Sportco in Fife, Wa for 28 bucks and when cut lengthwise, it makes a great wall liner in the V-berth.

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album1321&id=IMG_0349&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php
Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Followup on the SC #1000 coating. We ran the boat out in some rough water (sustained waves over 7ft) and for some high speed cruising and the difference in sound was big. With the coating on the walls of the berth only, Cindie really noticed while underway and she also noticed increased quietness when going to sleep. This coating really is an acoustic barrier first and thermal insulation second. We had the boat out overnight with the three of us running only the wallace for heat with just one window cracked (usually have two) and had some condensation on the coated surface. It was less than before but still there. The new foam pads against the walls were fantastic. The sound deadening qualities have Cindie wanting to coat the lower half of the remaining interior so that project is on the list. It really makes a difference.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been following this and Rogers post about the two different paints. I was wandering if you are planning to carpet the berth at any points. We used the foam in the 22 then carpet or headliner over the foam. worked really well but was a mother to apply and cut all the foam just right. I would think that the product you are using is a good replacement for the foam but not the foam plus carpet. So my question is will the carpet applied with contact cement stick to this paint??
Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will not be putting carpet in the berth. We will leave it with the paint/coating and the loose foam panels down low against the walls. We also have foam already stuck to the overhead edges for padding as well with no paint under it. We are having custom pocket panels built out of sunbrella to hang against the walls so that will soften it up a bit as well. They will be mesh backed and the paint will help manage the condensation behind them.

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?full=1&set_albumName=album1321&id=vberth_pockets&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

When we paint other portions of the boat outside of the berth, we will leave it with just the paint and nothing additional. I worry about moisture being trapped in stacked materials and like just having the paint or thin adhesive foam and the foam panels we are using on the lower walls of the berth and just tucked under the berth cushions so I can pull them up in two seconds to let the walls behind them dry. I like the brightness of the white walls as well.

If I ever find the time to put hatches/storage under the berth area I will likely use the same paint and some loose thin carpeting just to pad the items within. Thats next winter perhaps along with windows in the berth.
Don and Brenda

City/Region: Camano Island, Wa
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: R-27 Tug
Photos: C-Quest
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally pulled the plug and bought 2 gallons of the Hytech SC1000. 1st coat was applied by brush today. I coated the entire berth area, anchor locker are and cealings, it took about 1/3 gallon, will be applying the last 2 coats next Friday, then Saturday will be the water test. My thought with the 2nd gallon will be the cabin area if the wife likes the results. it took longer to empty the berth area than to paint it. The most forward area is a bit slow paining upside down and a few contortions of the body to get it done.
Mr. Fisherman

State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ber B~C thought he was "insulated" from this thread but I am still looking for updates and noticed that we are a few years behind schedule for getting my boat in Laughing

Live to Fish
Fish to Live
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 15 of 16

Jump to: