The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

22 cruiser Seattle to homer AK?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toothy

City/Region: Seward
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:55 am    Post subject: 22 cruiser Seattle to homer AK? Reply with quote

I have been clicking around C-D wise and saw it mentioned that 4 C-D 22's have made the trip from seattle to Homer, in the water . Has anybody heard of or done such a thing? That Cordova to Haines section looks a little open, exposed and desolate.

wade
Redƒox

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Innerestin! Cool I have heard of this bad-assed "game warden" (years ago) that took a scanoe Shocked , from Homer to Seatle Xmas Eek (I know Crook ) I think it's true though, there are enough peep talking about it, and one of them (a friend of mine lives in Ninilchick) I think actually knew the fella Exclamation . It can be done! He went (of course) in the prime of summer (when the water can be like glass out in the Gulf for days and days strait Love ) Bummed gas ofa tenders along the way when in need, and there probably was not much "need".
I wanted to do it! Actually I wanted to go from PWS to Hoonah (first stop---Yakatat!) I want to see Yakatat to! (Hubbard Glacier Thumbs Up )
toothy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the math and with some planning it would be possible. When you were almost to the 1/2 way point and a storm kicked up, might just make you nervous!! Shocked I just wondered if some of the folks mentioned elsewhere were on this board.

wade
Redƒox

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You bet it can be done Thumbs Up Me thinks in a C-D it would be a piece of cake! Very Happy

No the fella I was talking about don't even have a phone Neutral . I wish he were on here, he could tell a lot of great stories Rolling Eyes course he's got a good decade of living up here on me to Disgust . (grumble grumble Confused Confused )

I'm hopin-to-hell we move this year, otherwise I'd say this go for it! Thumbs Up CoolSmile June, July, August ... best months Hug Hug Hug Mr. Green Beer Cigar
Aiviq

City/Region: Juba
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Aiviq
Photos: Aiviq
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible to make the gulf crossing in a C-Dory, certainly, but there is a very real element of risk. When I made the crossing before, it was in a 38-foot diesel powered full displacement commercial fishing boat. As much as I love my C-dory, that fishing boat inspired a little bit more confidence in really rough weather. On the days I made the crossing, I think a C-Dory could have done it just fine. But I also personally know people who have come to grief in the gulf, including an in-law whose remains were never found. There are so few places to find safe shelter, and you are so far away from assistance, that a problem that would just be inconvenient, or maybe expensive elsewhere would be a matter of life and death in the gulf. I have no doubt that the trip can, and probably has been done in a C-Dory, but it's an undertaking that demands full consideration and due respect.

Jim
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, Jim, and a voice of experience. Foolhardy ventures can be undertaken and perhaps survived (I have no doubt one could cross the Atlantic in a C-Dory drifting on the Gulf Stream, but the risk/reward ratio is screaming!) On each cruise aboard a boat, one should weigh the risk/reward and with good judgment, and luck, one will return to harbor with a smile.
dogon dory

C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
toothy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get all worked up!
I don't know where you read I was going to try it. What I said was that I READ elsewhere on the net that it had been done. I thought there might be a good harrowing tale.

As long as my boat will fit on a trailer and there is a road around something like that, I personally will choose the road. One thing we can be assured of now, if there is such a person on this board, we will never hear about it now!

Too much caffeine and the wrong side of the bed DON'T MIX!

Wade
Redƒox

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still say Alaska should have seceded from the Union ages ago Rolling Eyes . Yes yes of course we all know the "dangers" that's what makes life worth living Shocked . And I'll kindly tell the coasties I am not accepting there "rescue" if I am not calling for it. If I choose to take risk and "go-out" that way (like a man with some balls left Mad) then I will, and no one will know.

OK, lets here it from someone out there thats done it. My hats off to you Thumbs Up

Back on the subject (you nay-sayers need not take any interest Surprised ) Peep from Kodiak and Homer, used to take their skiffs back and forth, on occasion Xmas Eek Thumbs Up . The stuff thats been done I have read in books is just amazing! The goldrush for example...

... and piss on the highway, I'd still rather go the gulf Surprised Surprised The border crossings are getting to be a real pain Mad
toothy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the support Mr. Fox sir!!
I like a little crazieness, it is like pepper for life. With out it why bother. The trick is knowing how much to add.

The Kodiak trip looks like fun but I probably shouldn't mention that here. Razz
I promise to keep it parked in the drive! I promise to keep it parked in the drive!
I won't wax it because that might cause cancer! I won't wax it because it might cause cancer! OOP's that's because I'm lazy!!

Boat names: C-PEPPER

wade
dogon dory

C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Redƒox

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

toothy wrote:
The trick is knowing how much to add.

The Kodiak trip looks like fun but I probably shouldn't mention that here. Razz
I promise to keep it parked in the drive! I promise to keep it parked in the drive!
I won't wax it because that might cause cancer! I won't wax it because it might cause cancer! OOP's that's because I'm lazy!!

Boat names: C-PEPPER

wade

You are most welcome my friend Thumbs Up kindred spirits perhaps Very Happy If your going for anything big... do let us in on it here or there! lets show-em these C-D's have some balls Xmas Eek Teeth Xmas Naughty Moon

Dogon... Nice name Thumbs Up yer gittin me inspired Idea "Lost-at-Sea... sounds like the-way-to-go- - - - - Hug

out... Bat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: