The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

fuel flow metering for twins

View previous topic :: View next topic  
centerisland

City/Region: Mercer Island
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Lulu
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: fuel flow metering for twins Reply with quote

A separate thread about metering Yamahas got me thinking...I'm going to add a Lowrance LMF-200 for the (2) Honda BF40As...do folks with twins generally install one sensor (for a combined consumption), or separate sensors (for individual consumption)? I recall that for the smoothest flow the sensor is supposed to go _before_ the filter element , which is where the fuel line commonly splits for the two engines.

My gut feel is that it would kind of interesting to see the fuel flow for each engine - and it could highlight a possible tuning problem with one engine - but ultimately a combined usage would be more useful.

drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I do not know about the 40 hp Hondas, the Honda twin 150's on my TomCat have the Honda Gauges. There is a separate readout for each engine, or you can toggle to read the combined flow, so there must be separate flow meters on each line.

John
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith,

If you're going to go to the added expense of adding fuel flow gauges, I would suggest that re-design the fuel system to provide a separate filter for each engine and put the flow meters in front of each filter. The factor designed system had only one filter and that reduces some of the value of the twins.

Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I researched this for my 22 (there is a thread somewhere about it) and the wisdom of the collective revealed that the fuel flow through those Honda 40s was so small that the flow scan devices were rather inaccurate. I have fuel flow capability with my Yamaha 150s as part of the Command system on the Tom Cat, and it works great, but for the 22 I've decided that the empirical observation method will suffice.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked into this too, and for my Yami twin 40's, carbed, it was way to much money and work for the proposed questionable accuracy. The 50's EFI verson, has internal fuel flow readout capability via the engine electronics display available to the helm, (I think MFD or a separate gauge) Matt at Kitsap helped with that info. He may have more and more recent.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

centerisland

City/Region: Mercer Island
Vessel Name: Lulu
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, if only 8 year old Honda motors were NMEA 2000 compatible!

Yes, a single 40hp carb'd motor running at other than close to WOT is unlikely to register accurately on the little flow meters - even two of them together wouldn't be enough.

However, what I think I'm really looking for is a way to measure changes in load, trim, etc at cruising speeds. From my previous experience with an LMF-200 and a Yamaha 90, I know it isn't worth it to try to meaure total consumption when, after all, you can see the level in the tank at a glance.

Roger's point about redoing the fuel system is provocative - but rather than put a filter on each engine, I think I'd rather be able to dynamically switch filters while running if one filter became plugged - I have that setup on my diesel trawler. Except, I dunno - when you start down that road you really want to draw from a day tank and a lot of extra plumbing, and from experience I know that extra connections mean increased chance of vacuum leaks. The KISS principle would lead you to...what the factory did in the first place!

I think you guys may have just talked me out of this! Smile
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want some filter before the transducer--to prevent debris clogging the transducer turbines. Sintered bronze filters will work, as will small automotive type of filters. Remember that the transducers should be aligned in a vertical fashion.

I run separate flow meters on the Suzuki 150's. At ldle I certainly feel that they are suspect--but when you start pulling 20 to 30 hp, they seem to be very consitant. I hav not compared that with the engine computer read out.

I like to know what each engine is doing fuel consumption wise.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: