View previous topic :: View next topic  
nimrod

City/Region: Mount Vernon
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Berta's Boy
Photos: 'Berta's Boy
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Floscan fuel flow meters for newer Yamaha outboards Reply with quote

I've been doing some research on fuel flow meters. The general consensus seems to run in favor of the Floscan line, with Navman a close second.

Apparently newer Yamaha 4-stroke engines use a two-fuel pump system that often results in erroneous fuel consumption readings.

I contacted Floscan for a recommendation and received the following reply:

Quote:
Unfortunately, we cannot give a firm recommendation for this engine application. The Yamaha 4-stroke fuel system is a "two-pump" fuel system, having a low-pressure lift pump and a high-pressure injection pump. The low-pressure lift pump delivers fuel to a vapor separator tank/module, which is continually filling/draining/re-filling as a float switch turns on and off. This causes a cycling effect that can interrupt our fuel-flow readings, possibly causing fluctuating and inaccurate fuel-flow readings to display on the FloScan instrument.

The strangest aspect of this scenario is that some customers say their FloScan equipment work fine with this type of application, some say they do not work properly regardless of RPM or boating conditions, and some say that the FloScan equipment does not work properly at low RPM but does work properly at cruising and high RPM. Because of this vast discrepancy, and not foreseeing a resolution, we stopped providing recommendations for Yamaha 4-strokes. However, those customers who have and use FloScan kits with Yamaha 4-strokes typically use FloScan kits containing model #20B flow sensors

Has anyone had experience with this issue? Presumably the Navman system has the same issue, is that correct?

jd
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at it for the early Suzuki's (2001 115's). Apparently the problem with measuring it at the engine, with electronics causes the problem. Using a fuel flow measuring device that goes in the fuel line (a little propeller flow device) eliminates that problem. I forget which one of the two you mention does that.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Floscan fuel flow meters for newer Yamaha outboards Reply with quote

Hi,
You might be able to get your engine/s fuel consumption right from your Yamaha electronics. Maybe someone else can chime in but I seem to remember there was a way to interface the Yamaha's engine data output with someones converter to get this info to show up on a multifunction GPS's engine gauge panel which was more accurate than what FloScans data paddle wheels can provide. Matt from www.kitsapmarina.com I think did the post. Maybe a private message to him could provide you with some good info.
D.D.

Matt Gurnsey
Dealer

City/Region: Port Orchard
Photos: Kitsap Marina
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha makes a fuel flow / speed gauge.

If you have the Command Link network, there are two gauge choices:
Round gauge part number is: 6Y8-83500-11-00
Square gauge part number is: 6Y8-83500-01-00

If you don't have Command Link, there is a digital gauge that looks like the Command Link, but uses the standard harness, plus an additional harness:
Single Engine Kit: 6Y5-W0088-70-00
Dual Engine Kit: 6Y5-W0088-80-00

Hope this helps.

360-895-2193
(888) 293-7991
centerisland

City/Region: Mercer Island
Vessel Name: Lulu
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Floscan fuel flow meters for newer Yamaha outboards Reply with quote

You might also look into the Lowrance inline units, particularly if you want NMEA 2000 data. There are a number of installation nuances like installing the sensor vertically, properly sized fuel lines, and...I forget the rest...I did this for a new Yamaha 90 on an Arima about 2 years ago and it was trickier than I expected to get it working properly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: