tpbrady

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bidarka II
Photos: Bidarka
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I removed my heater for some extra space and use a D-cell powered pump (Zodi product) in a bucket of hot water and shower on the rear deck.

One technical item in removing it. You need to plug both ends of the hose. If you inadvertently turn on the hot water and cold water valves at the same time cold water will flow down the hot water line. When plugged, you will need to remove the plug and drain the pipe when you winterize it because no RV antifreeze can get into that dead end portion of the pipe. You could disconnect the supply pipe to the hot water valve, but the problem would still be around and the water would then land under the sink. the only fool proof way to get around it is to replace the faucet with one with a single input source.

38 Trawler Mia Terra 2012-2015
42 Nordic Tug 2015-
28 KingFisher 2009-2014
14 Jetcraft 2000-
17 Scanoe 1981-
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: Water heater Reply with quote

I looked at one of the tanks today and it has a 2.75 gallon tank and is not the tankless variety which is great. Can you tell us which element you are using so I might have a chance of finding it. I am planning on setting up exactly like you are and already have the generator.

Thanks, Greg

Swee Pea wrote:
Edward Thieme wrote:
I removed the one that came with my 25, it wasn't suppose to have one, and I wasn't charges for it, but it does take a lot of room and I don't need 6 gal. for a shower.
I replaced it with a GE 2.5g point of use water heater from Home Depot.
I change the heating element to a 2500w 240v element, which becomes a 625w element on 120v. This way I can use a Honda 1000w generator to power it. I could not find a low wattage 120v element.

Works fine. ED on "Rambler"

I would like some more info on your install of the GE point of use unit. What went into the install? How hot does the water get? This is a "tankless" unit right?

John
Swee Pea

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Edward Thieme

City/Region: Boulder
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Rambler
Photos: Rambler
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: water heater Reply with quote

I am not sure where my messages are going!

The water heater is a smaller version of what is in your basement, a round tank with insulation and white metal cover.

It has a heating element with an aprox. one inch dia. thread which screws into the lower side of the tank. I would not bend the heating element since as far as I know there is ceramic insulation between the actual wire inside and the outside you see and the ceramic would crack if bent

The plumbing shop where I purchase the element is out of busness but Home Depot or a plumbing shop should have elements.

ED
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: