View previous topic :: View next topic  
digger

City/Region: Spokane
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Sik
Photos: Snoopy-C
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Fuel Pickup Reply with quote

I installed new Moeller plastic fuel tanks in my 22 cruiser, but I think that the fuel pickups are not long enough to reach the bottom. I run out of fuel when I can still see fuel in the tanks. I think that since the bottom of the boat is tilted towards the center, and the tanks therefore sit in the boat the same way with the pickups at the outer port or starboard sides, fuel is not pulled from the tanks cause the pickup is on the high end of the tanks. Can the pickups be removed??? It looks like there is just a clamp around the molded plastic -- I'm sure there is an "o"-ring for seal, but can the pickups be removed??? Hate to cause any damage or danger from potential leaks. Thanks, Ron
digger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, answered part for myself...went online to Moeller, and found tech support faq, and the pickups can be popped out...I went out and did that on one, but the attached plastic tube is sooooo large it will barely fit through the opening...I'd have to slide the tanks out to succeed in even pulling out the tubing. It is soooo stiff that I doubt that it can be bent much, or extended, unless I pull the sending units and try to fairlead longer tubes to the lowside. If anyone has additional info, please let me know. Thanks
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to slip a slightly larger tube over the pickup. There are "welding" kits available from JPWhitney, which will allow you to secure the plastic so it will not slip. (Assuming that the slightly larger tubing will go thru the hole). An alternative is to make a pick up out of copper or steel tubing, and make it the right angle and depth. Cut the end at an angle, and then place the longest part barely above the bottom of the tank (not touching).
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
digger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those interested, I contacted Moeller and they said they have a flexible hose part that can be interchanged to access the other side of the tank. I got the part number from them so that West Marine could order it for me for a pricey $50. I did order one and will see if it does the trick, and then determine whether to do the same for the other tank. Will update this post when I get the part and try it. The original non-flex tube will just barely fit through the fitting, so trying to adapt it to something else to extend to the other side of the tank would be quite difficult. Ron
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is another way to do the "splice"--and that is to put an inner splint in the tubing, and use the same size tube outside. This may cause slight restriction to fuel flow, but my guess is that it would not be significant. Again--the plastic welding if necessary to be sure that the tubing does not drop off....or even just use the slightly smaller tube as the pickup.
SteveQ

City/Region: Greenville, SC
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: My Kinda Change
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 2008 (new) 19' with dual factory tanks. I also ran out of gas in one of my tanks when it was nearly half full. I did remove the both tanks and removed the pickup tubes which are fairly close to the center of the boat (near the edge of the tank). One pickup tube was 15 1/4" the port tank was just under 10". I laid them side by side, took pictures and contacted Moeller about this issue. Their customer service dept. sent me (with a part #) to West Marine to have a new pickup tube built. I did not contact West Marine but rather got a e-mail address for customer service at Moeller. I sent pics with my complaint. I called the next day, spoke with someone in charge and a new 15 1/4" pickup tube went out in that days mail. The factory pickup tubes do have a check valve in the 90 degree elbow and a fine screen plastic welded onto the bottom of the pickup tube. The pickup tube will unscrew and come out of the fitting in the top of the tank. The issue has been resolved for a year now. I would have to guess someone at Moeller is playing tricks back in assembley.
Hope this helps.
Steve
In Greenville South Carolina

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: