Laptop Table or Mount
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike...

State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Photos: Accelerando
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Laptop Table or Mount Reply with quote

Hello All.

I am looking for a nice-looking solution to support a laptop over at the Admiral's seat. Ideally it would be something that could be folded down out of the way when the laptop was stowed away in it's carry bag.

I have looked at Ram mounts, and they seem a bit unattractive.

Maybe some sort of fold-down table that could be bolted to the cabin wall next to her seat and flipped up as needed?

Any ideas?
---
mike
dutch123

City/Region: Prince George
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Reel Action
Photos: Reel Action
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just completed a labtop mount on my 22, the mount consists of a couple of drawer sliders and a peice of starboard. Location is out of the way when not in use under the raised portion for the entry to the v-berth. Very happy with the install and a simply project to complete. Thumbs Up
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dutch123 wrote:
I just completed a labtop mount on my 22, the mount consists of a couple of drawer sliders and a peice of starboard. Location is out of the way when not in use under the raised portion for the entry to the v-berth. Very happy with the install and a simply project to complete. Thumbs Up

Photos, please!

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
dutch123

City/Region: Prince George
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Reel Action
Photos: Reel Action
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I just put the boat in storage so won't be able to post photos right now. I got the drawer sliders from home depot, they are made for a computer desk black in color and are height adjustable, come with the mounting hardware and are easy to install. Highly recommend this install it really helps get the laptop out of the way and makes use of empty space when stowed.
smittypaddler

City/Region: Neenah, Wisconsin
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Na Waqa
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Serving tray for laptop Reply with quote

This summer I built what looks like a serving tray for my laptop. It sits on the port-side seat, across from the helm. My only complaint after use, it blocks access to the port-side mooring cleat out the window. You can see photos and drawings here:

http://smittypaddler.com/cds/cdm/perlvrml/Platform.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the type of laptop, an alternative way to do this is to mount the bottom of the laptop to the bottom of the electronic shelf so that the screen will fold down. Then use the computer's display settings to rotate the image 180 degrees. This approach, combined with a wireless keyboard and mouse, provides for a very clean installation.
Mike...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Serving tray for laptop Reply with quote

smittypaddler wrote:
This summer I built what looks like a serving tray for my laptop. It sits on the port-side seat, across from the helm. My only complaint after use, it blocks access to the port-side mooring cleat out the window. You can see photos and drawings here:

Nice job, but that's where the Admiral's backside needs to go. Smile
---
mike
Mike...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerbum wrote:
Depending on the type of laptop, an alternative way to do this is to mount the bottom of the laptop to the bottom of the electronic shelf so that the screen will fold down. Then use the computer's display settings to rotate the image 180 degrees. This approach, combined with a wireless keyboard and mouse, provides for a very clean installation.

Unfortunately, we took that shelf out. The screen folding down from above is an interesting idea though. Smile
---
mike
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Serving tray for laptop Reply with quote

Wow! That link wins the prize for the geekiest post ever on this forum! Da Nag! Warren! The gauntlet has been thrown!

smittypaddler wrote:

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Laptop Table or Mount Reply with quote

Pat,
Jeez, the guy was trying to offer a solution, I'm not sure I get you post calling out the post the most geekiest. Here's one of yours that I especially liked. See below

"Things seem to be conspiring to keep us from getting off to Friday Harbor.

First, the socket for the trailer lights on the Titan was inacessible because the whole deal had been bent down below the bumper, probably as a result of hauling the BS, but who knows. A visit to Model Garage, and they got that fixed.

Now, although there is 13.6 volts at the socket on the circuits for the lights and turn signals (the only ones I checked), when I insert the trailer plug, none of the lights work. The trailer is hooked up, and I have used the trailer frame as ground for my tests, so I don't think it is anything a simple as a ground wire, bu there is a white wire hanging loose out of the trailer harness".

No lights = no we go, and this is driving me crazy, so any help would be greatly appreciated..."

People that live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
D.D.

Mike...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D.D., I could be wrong, but I think Pat's post was meant to be a fun poke Smitty.

Smitty, when I replied above, I didn't scroll down down far enough at your link to see your 3D model and your perl code to create that model. Um, wow!

My guess is that you would consider "Geek" a compliment, yes? Smile
---
mike
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Laptop Table or Mount Reply with quote

Mike,
No, but guess I didn't get it. My apologies to Pat if that was the case. Was the tray table solution part of the joke? I didn't think that it was. What I thought was posts like that might intimidate newcomers from posting solutions as they might not want to be made fun of so publicly. For me I would have used a pm as to not broadcast an inside joke to the whole forum. I think to try an get new people involved on the site lets us see more new ideas. Some times people might read different things into jokes hidden in posts not knowing who friends with who. Just a thought.
D.D.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly off the subject, but how do you get a laptop to invert the picture? What would be the procedure for one running windows?

Boris
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too saw all the perl code that was written to create the 3-D model of the dovetail box and I too thought "Wow, the ultimate geek solution" (meant in the most complimentary way). Laughing
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:
Slightly off the subject, but how do you get a laptop to invert the picture? What would be the procedure for one running windows?

Boris

I looked in the control panel, display settings and there is button for display rotation right/left 90degrees and 190 degrees. When I tried it, I found that I would have to change display characteristics (settings of size, etc) which I was not willing to fool with. I think it depends on your graphics card, as these were "ATI" settings (the mfr of the card in my laptop). Try it. It will revert to the old setting in 15 seconds, so no harm no foul (I hope).

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: