The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Rubbing Compound for Gelcoat Scratches?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-batical wrote:
Marc is correct. The problem is drying out of the abrasive. When you are using any abrasive; compound or wet/dry sandpaper you need to use water. (Finesse-it is a mild abrasive compound). Water prevents the drying out of the compound as well as acting as a lubricant. This is especially true if you are using a buffing wheel or sandpaper to compound out the scratches. A handy way to apply and control the amount of water is to use a a spray bottle. Another suggestion that works very well is to add a few drops detergent to the water in a normal size spray bottle. This also helps to control the build up of residue on your wheel pad or sandpaper. I use this technique when I am either painting a car or cleaning up a gel coat problem. I hope this helps

Best regards,

This is also why it's important to control the rpm of the buffing wheel- to limit the heat build up/drying out of the rubbing compound.

Rubbing compound should be used at a lower rpm than when buffing up applied wax. Always use separate buffing bonnets. The one with the rubbing compound will remove the wax if you use it to buff the wax out! Laughing

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Tortuga

City/Region: Ventura
C-Dory Year: 1994
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Photos: Tortuga
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to bring this thread back to the top because I'm trying to repair fender rub damage on my green trim. I've polished, using the 3M fiberglass restorer, and waxed and waxed, but the dull scratches are still obvious:

I also have some scratches from meeting a dock pile (so a C-Dory and a pile go into a bar...). They also disappear when wet, but don't completely buff out:

I'm thinking of stepping it up to wetsanding -- but as my MO is to escalate when confronting a hurdle, I thought I'd seek some additional input.

I believe the scratches are repairable because they disappear when the boat is wet -- suggesting that there is gelcoat under them. But, I haven't been able to get them rubbed out with the 3M. Any thoughts on the wetsanding?

Thanks,

Matt

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt-

Since they disappear when wet, you might try one of those "miracle" scratch removers they sell on TV or in auto stores that (I think) is actually a clear acrylic coating that fills in the roughness and picks up the coloring of the pigmented areas around it.

Ron, formerly of "Snoopy C", used an acrylic coating "wax" on his new boat a few months back with great results! See:

Tried a New Product

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Last edited by Sea Wolf on Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use 600 wet/dry grit followed by 1000 wet/dry grit followed by rubbing compound. Doctor Bob is the absolute best authority on that so if he differs from my technique definitely follow his lead.

I would also consider starting out with 400 grit on the worse ones and working through to 1000 using PLENTY of water. I have several spots on the C-Brat that will be getting "the treatment" real soon now.

It doesn't take a lot of muscle so go slowly and use a rubber sandpaper block or something that's really flat. Pep boys sells a little sanding "kit" with a nice small block and various wet/dry grits 400-1000 I think. Cheap and works great in small areas. Look for it in their paint and sanding product area.

Don
Tortuga

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for these suggestions -- I'm wary of the acrylics due to the difficulty in removing and a concern over discoloration or peeling over time in the sun. I'll try the wetsanding under the waterline to see how things go and report back. Thanks for the tips.

Matt
sjboysen
C-Dory Factory Representative

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
Photos: Triton Plant Photos
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,

There a lot of good comments that you can follow on this thread, and I will add mine as well. The depth is obviously the determining factor whether or not to sand or fill. As the gunnel stripe is sprayed in the mold during the initial gelcoat process not after it might be a little difficult to tell if you are too deep or not, a good rule of thumb is that if you can catch your finger nail on the scratch it will be too deep to sand out. If it is just a surface scratch then just buff it out, finesse it works fine, not real aggressive so it may take a couple of passes to get the scratches out. Wet sanding is not necessary if you have access to a Dual Action sander, either or I recommend starting at 400 and working your way up to 800, you don't need to go higher than that as your compound will eliminate the scratch marks and bring forth the shine.

I will be holding a limited size seminar here at the plant October 16th, and I will be going over just this scenario, so if you have any questions don't hesitate to give me a call or send me an email.

Scott
Tortuga

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scott -- the fingernail test is a great place to start.

Matt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: