The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Tomcat paint
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Trinidad SR Reply with quote

That will be my next attempt unless I can find something better....
Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
matt_unique

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Paint Reply with quote

Having pulled her for Earl I had a good look at the bottom today. I had a thick sweater on the outside hulls but surprisingly I had very little sweater on the inside hulls/tunnel.

Next year will be the Trinidad-SR but at least the Vivid resulted in just half a sweater Smile

I took her for a little run at regular cruise RPM and my usual cruise speed returned as one would expect with a cleaner bottom.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt, how did cousin EARL treat Boston? .04" here and no breeze over 20 knots. A little disappointing....

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
matt_unique

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Earl Reply with quote

Earl was a non-event in Boston. In fact, the passing cold front today resulted in more wind than Earl. The Cape got a little more but basically nothing.

It ended up being a good thing for me to pull it out as it gave me the opportunity to power wash it for part 2 of the season. I'm in through Halloween.

How about you?
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine sits on a lift, so no problems. Will haul it next weekend to do some work in prep to haul it to Oriental NC for the NC CBHT the last week of Sept and then to the Outer Banks for a family beach week. Thinking of having a couple of guys come detail it while out, wax and everything. I'm getting too damn old to clamber around like I'd have to to do that!

Got some business travel this next week (Gulf Coast) and then a Navy Symposium in VA Beach the week after so my boat time is limited for a little while.

You had an easy time BECAUSE you hauled the boat!! Thumbs Up

Was that your boat in the Boat US magazine?

Charlie
TWO-DAWGS

City/Region: Kingston
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: TWO-DAWGS
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi: I have a 1997 TomCat. I put bottom paint on in 2002 when I decided to keep in the water full time. I researched paint at the time and liked the Interlux Micron Extra. I had it done at Kitsap Marine, and decided against a barrier coat with the Vinylester barrier already built into the boat. The bottom paint is ablative, but it was put on in 3 thick coats and lasted without any growth or weeds for five years. I have only touched up the sunny side since then, and have still had no growth on the bottom surfaces. I am very happy with that product and the great service I got at Kitsap Marine. Whenever I pull the boat for a trip to Sekiu or elsewhere, I check the paint and hull carefully. It all looks good. I expect to get it fully redone next Spring. TWO-DAWGS.
matt_unique

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Boat US and paint Reply with quote

5 seasons with ablative paint?!?!?!?!? That is shocking and fantastic. Did you put something else on the Armstrong bracket? (i.e. To avoid dissimilar metal issue). I was told by Pettit that our cruising speeds (>15 mph) would make the Tomcat a bad candidate for ablative. Your experience sounds incredible.

Charlie - I too noticed what appeared to be a wrapped Tomcat in the latest BoatUS mag. Mine is on the mooring and still ready for action through Halloween. I wondered who it may belong to...
TWO-DAWGS

City/Region: Kingston
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: TWO-DAWGS
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi: My 1997 TomCat does not have motor brackets, so I cannot help you there. But the Micron Extra has proven much more lasting than I expected. As I mentioned it was put on thick and has worn very well. It has an additive that prevents slime and plant growth as well as barnacles, etc. So I left it untouched until I noticed a little plant growth, which was two years ago. So in 2008, when it was on the trailer anyway I wet sanded enough to get a fresh paint surface and touched it up along the sunny side (based on my mooring postion) of the boat. It is now ready for a full hull redo, but it has been on since the Spring of 2003 (I bought the boat in 2002 and it wintered over without bottom paint as I now remember). I selected Micron Extra because the boat can be pulled and trailered without affecting the bottom paint. So other than putting another coat along the side, it has lasted 7 years - the bottom, for example, has had no touch up. We are moored at Kingston, WA, so this would certainly not be the same as Florida or other tropical waters. Also, we use the boat year-round and put on lots of hours, so the boat does not sit anywhere for long. That may also help keep the bottom free of growth. TWO-DAWGS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: