The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Poll: New or Used
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Poll Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you prefer to buy
New
43%
 43%  [ 65 ]
Used
56%
 56%  [ 83 ]
Total Votes : 148

Spike

City/Region: Kent
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bootleg Hooch
Photos: Bootleg Hooch
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, The Bootleg Hooch is the third boat I have bought in the last 20 years all were bought new. I think my next [ a 25 C-dory] may just be used. I am much more comfortable buying used now as I have learned more and more about boats in general, and know what to look for, and what not to look for. But if a killer deal on a new boat comes around,well I sure do like the smell of fresh fiberglass
Chuck
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: It depends Reply with quote

I bought new and tend to prefer to do so. I like knowing what has been done and I wanted to set her up from scratch myself.

If Bob Austin were selling a boat - I would buy his before I would buy new for example. Same would apply to many other craftsman on this board.

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

out of 7 boats, 13 cars, and 5 bikes only 1 boat, no cars and 2 bikes have been new. the Susan e was new but the payments where better then buying used because of the interest rate at the time. if they still made a 27 i would have looked at new.

If I was looking and comparing new to used in a 22 today then it would be used hands down. They just changed to much for the worse IMHO on the new boats. i would not buy one as they are now.

joefish

City/Region: Great Falls
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: My Girl
Photos: My Girl
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds to me like Jack in Alaska's 1983 22' Classic, that has been passed from father to son, is about the oldest darn C-Dory out there. And by the looks of his photo album I take it he didn't spend a lot of time floating around Lake Peaceful Pines sipping mint julips in that boat.
ramos

City/Region: WASCO
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Squirt
Photos: C-Squirt
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boats: 4-used, 2-new.
Bikes: 3-used, 2-new.
RV's : 1-used, 1-new.

Vehicles: Too many of both!
Homes : 1-used (as in VERY, built in 1920).

C-Squirt
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sort of related to the new used topic

whats the difference between an american and a Englishman? an American thinks a 100 years is a long time and a Englishman thinks 100 miles is a long way.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll vote.

I buy new, both cars and boats. And make sure they last a long time. That way I get over the minor teething problems under warranty and know what's going on with that particular machine. That goes for Toyota and C-Dory as well as Catalina sailboats. Journey On is now 5 years old, and some stuff is screwing up (bilge pump, trim tabs, autopilot,) but at least I know the major thing are OK: engine, hull, Judy.

Every time I went and looked at used stuff, the boats/cars available were not worth the difference in money. Boats depreciate slower that anything else I've owned, less real estate.

When we went to but our last sailboat, I heard the statement "well, if you buy new, you don't have to fix all the problems from the factory." That was for a 10 yr old boat.

And of course, there's my only second hand truck: 50 yrs old and still running. Of course it was given to me when it was almost new (19 yrs old.)

Boris
Fishhawk

City/Region: Bon Secour
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Matt has it right on with his Bob Austin thinking.

New is good, but a real deal on a used boat, truck, rifle, some land, house, or anything for that matter; from the right party will always be the best way to go.

My $0.02

Dan

breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer to buy as close to new as possible without actually buying new. The only reason we bought Triple J (previously Third Watch) was because it only had 30 hours on the main and was the current model year. It was a bargain, saved use about 8k even after driving 4k miles to bring her home.
If money was no object buying new would be my preference, but then I wouldn’t we here would I; ships ahoy! Cocktail Cigar

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
416rigby

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Foggy Dew
Photos: Foggy Dew
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would prefer to buy new, but finances dictate buying used in good condition. Our CD is boat number 5, and they were all pre-owned. Only things I've ever bought new...3 motorcycles...back when a new Harley Softail was 8,300 bucks!

At last...home for good in the Great Northwest!

2001 22 Cruiser "Foggy Dew" 2006-2013
Papillon

City/Region: DeBary, Fl. *On the St. John's River*
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Papillon
Photos: Papillon
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy used. I buy pre drilled boats....those with holes already in them. Then I add lots more and enjoy the boat rather then worry about straching it. I end up with the same boat as those who bought new at a much cheaper cost. When I get ready to sell...I am selling at or above my investment...when I stick to boats that hold their value like C-Dory and Boston Whaler.

Another poll or satistic I would like to see is how many login's per day are C-Brat members vs Guest Login's. I suspect that there are a larger number of guest login's per day and that should be an indication that there are a lot of C-Brat Wantabe's out there...ready to make a deal on a C-Dory.

1993 Angler-02' 115 Suzuki 4 Stroke
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion is that if you throughly investigate a boat type and wait for the right one to come along, you can not only save on the cost, but you can find a boat that is much better than new.

This is because it has all the manufacturing faults corrected, and has been set up by someone who has at least as good as skills as you have, and sometimes better!

Plus that person took all the time necessary to solve a whole lot of installation and initialization processes, and took much of the hit for the initial depreciation.

You can also get some customization work that represents a lot of time, expense, and would be unaffordable to have someone else do.

Hanging around a site like this a while (several years, perhaps) will give you a real feel for which boats would be great buys, if ever put up for sale.

As an example, such a boat was Hank Brooks' Sea Skipper that was purchased by Jay (Socrateur).

IMHO, a boat like that is really worth many thousands of dollars more that a a brand new boat, in real value!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Poll: New or Used Reply with quote

Hi,
I have to agree with Joe but The Sea Skipper was not the usual used boat by any means. I buy cars new even though I know you can save a ton buying two year pieces. I lurked on the site for a couple years . Charlie who worked for Wefings at the time had done no less than 14 different quotes on 22's for me. A 23' Venture deal popped up and I had the chance to add the equipment I wanted at a price that 22's were sellling for. If you can find what you want or are willing to settle on what you can get used than used is the way to go. A lot has to do with luck. Charlie had priced a new 22 that the factory had redone the cockpit floor boards I think I said go ahead with that deal which was 50k with a trailer and twin fifties but the boat went quickly to someone else in the northwest. I'm glad things turned out the way they did. Even though I'm with the other outcasts that own the bayliner type cloxox bottle interior Venture series boats with a boat described on the C-Brat map as other. I like what we have, and it's no sweat. I never really was much for staying with the flock. Neutral
D.D.

JENAFUFFER

City/Region: Wrightsville Beach area
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 1997
Vessel Name: Moon Doggie
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Poll New or Used Reply with quote

Used
Do your homework and you can find that great deal.

We bought a 1997 classic 22ft cruiser
I love the charm of the old style interior
the hull was in great shape and it had all of the electronics
I agree that certain boats hold their value
we have always bought used --grady white, boston whaler, c-dory
plus its great to not have a payment! makes the boat a whole lot more fun and you can afford to fix the minor things and keep the workings in tiptop shape
Mike

City/Region: mount juliet
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 1990
Vessel Name: GYPSY
Photos: GYPSY
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy ....and sometimes buying used you get a whole lot of $ worth of gadgets, C-80's windlas, canvas stuff, kickers, ect. that are already on a boat!!!
Just my 2 cents worth!
Mike

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Poll Archives All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: