The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Swivel for helm seat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Swivel for helm seat Reply with quote

Has anyone installed or know anything about a swivel base mount that could be installed under the helm seat allowing the seat to swivel 90º facing the aisle? It would need to lock in both positions. Not sure if there would be room for the corners to clear both the throttle and/or the counter behind. Maybe one that could slide forward several inches and also turn.

If nothing else I am going to install the 25's seat on slide apart hinges at the forward edge enabling the quick removal of the seat. More counter space when at anchor or at the dock.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
Helen O

City/Region: Cathlamet
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: Helen O'
Photos: Helen O'
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the new 25's come with a fixed position seat? My 25 came from the factory with a swivel seat. You might want to check with C-Dory on this one.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning, David -

I stuck a slider with a swivel base under the helm seat on the TyBoo. The slider is one of these things.

Les gave me the slider, and I stuck a standard swivel spider between it and the seat. It will pivot 90º if I lay the seat back down while it makes the turn. Then it will stand back up for use.

I used the whole works instead of just the swivel because I wanted to sit higher and closer to the wheel to facilitate looking out the bottom part of my glasses at the electronic displays and to better see out the front window. It makes it a little tricky to get into the seat because my legs are pretty close to the wheel, but it works good to swivel the seat about 45º toward the aisle, plop my butt on it, and then swivel back straight. It is real comfortable when I am sitting at the helm, and the visibility is much better.

I don't really use the slide adjustment. It is moved ahead just far enough to allow the seat corner to clear the galley counter when pivoting. I took the locking rod with the big knob off and replaced it with a bolt that is locked down tight. If all you want is a swivel, you can make a fixed mount wherever it works the best and put a swivel on top of it. Plus, I have one of those swivel bases that will attach to the four hole pattern that should already be on the bottom of the standard seat. You can have it, and if nothing else use it to experiment with for free until you find the ideal configuration for the seat. I can sure bring it to Cathlamet with me and send it on its way north.

One of the projects I didn't get done yet is to remove the slide base and replace it with a raised wooden contraption, with the swivel on top, that would have a 3/4" board that pulled out into the aisle to give Kay a little more counter space when cooking at the dock. Kinda like a bread board in in a kitchen counter. With your talents in the wood shop, and your propensity to trim things in teak, that would be a fun project for you. But then, you haven't even sat in your own helm seat yet, so maybe we're getting a little ahead of the game. Anxious, are we?

Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anxious, are we?

YES.

I will think about the different suggestions you are making. I do still have time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: