The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Sticking bilge pump one way valve

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
petemos

State or Province: NS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-You-Later
Photos: C-You-Later
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Sticking bilge pump one way valve Reply with quote

Anyone have a problem with the one-way valve that’s inline with bilge pump outlet hose? I keep having to remove the bilge pump, disconnect the hose, and blow in the line into it to free the one-way valve up. This seem to work for one day, and the next time I test the pump, it fails because the one-way valve is preventing the pump from discharging water. Do I really need this valve? Anyone have the same problem and or a fix?

Thanks Jim
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Sticking bilge pump one way valve Reply with quote

petemos wrote:
Anyone have a problem with the one-way valve that’s inline with bilge pump outlet hose? I keep having to remove the bilge pump, disconnect the hose, and blow in the line into it to free the one-way valve up. This seem to work for one day, and the next time I test the pump, it fails because the one-way valve is preventing the pump from discharging water. Do I really need this valve? Anyone have the same problem and or a fix?

Thanks Jim

You need it Jim. It's called a check valve and keeps water from coming back into the boat. Buy a new one, just get one in the same size as the hose. They are cheap!

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
C-batical

City/Region: Pinckney
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: C-Batical
Photos: C-Batical
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

I am not sure what kind of check valve you have on your 2007 boat. My 2004 did not have any and I installed the ones shown in my photo album after I noticed the through hull fittings below the water during launch. This solved a problem I had with water intrusion. After installation, my boat is now dry as a bone. I have not had any problems with them.

Best regards,

petemos

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Sticking bilge pump one way valve Reply with quote

That is the same valve that i have that does not work. I'll go to the store and buy a replacement today.

Thanks again Guys.

Jim
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:20 am    Post subject: Sticking bilge pump one way valve Reply with quote

Hi,
I just pulled mine off and connected the bilge hose direct to the thru hull. I have a 23' Venture but I can't see much water getting in the the boat thru the thru hull fitting. The little bit of water left in the hose can run back down to the bilge but the idea of that valve sticking when you want or need the bilge to pump far out weighs the need for that check valve on my boat. Everyone has their own ideas about these things. Mine was get rid of that thing.
D.D.

jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: check valve Reply with quote

I have the 06 CC-23 and mine never came with a check valve ? I think it would be another failure waiting to happen . A little bit of water might get in but it stays in the little bilge area.
00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A LOT depends on how high out of the water your overboard fitting is. If it is such that it will be submerged while your boat is heavily loaded, you should have a check valve. If water does start to come in, and you don't have a check valve, the boat will take on water progressively, and get even lower in the water. My '95 CD 22 had the overboard about 18" out of the water. No need for a check valve there.

Charlie
forrest

City/Region: Chehalis
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Long Story
Photos: Long Story
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a longer discharge hose and put an anti siphon loop in it above the discharge opening in the hull.
petemos

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Sticking bilge pump one way valve Reply with quote

No one in Halifax Nova Scotia has this check value or one with the same hose dimensions. I tried to jury rig a model that was 3/4" as apposed to 1 1/8" and I got some leaks and it's just not a nice setup. I going to wait till I get back in the state and see what they have. As the cunnert outlet hose goes up and over the gas tank, i can't see me sucking any water, until i'm already sunk. I also don't like they way the current valve is situated, so in any case i'm going to re-plumb this setup.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Jim
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from David Pascoe's web site

Syphon breaks and check valves are notoriously unreliable because of their tendency to get clogged.

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/bilge_pumps.htm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: