The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Bilge pump questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Homer22

City/Region: Homer
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Bilge pump questions Reply with quote

Hello everyone. I just acquired a 1988 CD-22 Cruiser and I am going through it to update some of the systems. The current (original) bilge pump does not seem to work (it makes noise but no suction). I wanted to replace it anyway. So, dumb questions: I see the hose and cockpit pickup protruding out of the hull but where is the pump?? How do I access it?

I have looked at all the threads related to BPs. I want to install a new RuleMate pump somewhere in the gas tank locker area. What will I need to do to route the water discharge out of the boat? Use the existing miship discharge fitting?

Thanks for this and all the other great info here.
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure where your bilge pump is. On my 2006 there are two, one under the transom between the fuel tanks and one inside a small "bilge" at the step entering the cabin. There is no true "bilge" so you should be able to find it fairly easily.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homer22-

The 1988 Cruisers and Anglers had the pump between the gas tanks in the depression back next to the transom with the water exit fitting on the starboard side (at least all the ones I've seen).

Later models sometimes had the pump located either in a boxed in well just inside the dooorway in the cabin, or in a similar well over to the starboard side midway between the doorway and the starboard side of the hull. This well was accessible under the galley through the right hand cabinet door.

If you have an amidships water exit, it's likely someone has converted your 1988 Cruiser to a later type set-up.

This amidships pump design was intended to alleviate the problem of water standing up next to the cabin bulkhead when the boat was at rest or moving slowly. The problem arose either when rainwater came into a non-moving boat, or when splash water that came in when the boat was moving, but hadn't been fully bailed out before the boat was slowed down. (Moored boats had serious problems from rain!)

This new design solves the problem above, but doesn't really pump out water coming aboard when the boat is underway (on a plane and tilted abaft) as well as the original design.

As a solution, some folks have installed both!

If I had to choose one or the other, I favor the rear solution, as long as I'm using the boat in such a manner that I'm always aboard to monitor the situation and speed up the boat to allow the rear pump to empty the boat. If the boat is going to be moored or docked without a cover over or a covered cockpit, then I think I'd add the amidships pump as well.

This topic and it's discussion has occupied a lot of space here over the years.

Newer boats have raised deck inserts or a raised flat deck that alleviate the problem. They both keep your feet dry, and either hide the water underneath themselves in the first case, or in the second force it to the rear bailing well.

Hope this makes sense!

Can you tell where the pump is from the sound? Be sure you've tested it with water covering the impeller well before you replace it, it might just be spinning dry!

Good Luck!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Homer22

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sea Wolf for all the great info. I will do as you advised. I see you're from Redding. We moved from Sacramento to AK a year ago to retire. Loving it.
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homer22,

Joe has given a very good description of the various pump locations. I am beginning to wonder if the amidships through hull outlet might in fact be for the sink grey water and not a bilge outlet. Are you sure it is for the bilge pump?
Homer22

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, there def is not a pump anywhere in the rear area (gas tanks, etc.). There are two discharge fittings starboard amidship, one for the sink and one for the bilge. The cockpit pickup and hose disappears into a hole in the hull just in front of the cabin. So if it was converted to newer style pump, where were the new pumps placed? I still can't see any sign of the pump or access to it.
Homer22

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystery solved. Pump is in the galley cabinet. Original 40 gph pump with pickup hose. Replaced with 1500 gph pump. Had to enlarge discharge hole to avoid restriction and back pressure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: