Repowering

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcwass

City/Region: South Berwick
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lorraine J
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: Repowering Reply with quote

I own a 1990 22' Cruiser with a 1990 70HP Johnson. I bought this package new. The Johnson is no longer reliable. Carburation problems and smokes a lot. I've run this boat in salt water since day one so I'm seeing more and more corrosion even after washing down after use. I'm looking to repower and I'm considering the new 4 Strokes or the new fuel injected 2 Strokes. I'm looking for opinions on brands and 4 Strokes vs 2 Srokes on the market today.
Thanks,
Dick

SOLD IT. Bought my 1990 22' C-Dory Cruiser new in Fairfield CA. Lived in Vallejo CA. Fished the bays and the Sacramento River. Towed it across country in 1995 to Maryland. Lived in Tall Timbers MD and fished the Potomac River. Towed the C-Dory to Maine in 2001. Now settled and will be fishing the rivers, bays and Atlantic. Boats Name: Hunky Dory. Yes another "Hunky Dory".
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcwass-

Welcome aboard, you've asked the quintessential C-Dory question!!!

Which engine to select for a new boat or repowering is probably the most debated topic on this site! There's more information already available on this topic than you can read in a good 8 hour day's work! In fact, some of us may be getting weary of posting on this topic! Rather than start the whole process anew and even be afraid we'd leave a few details out, the best place to begin would be to take the Search Engine function on the Home Page and start out with some of these topics:

repowering
new engine
new motor
motor selection
motor choice
single or twins
single vs. twins
(specific motor)- Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Johnson, Mercury, E-
Tech, etc. Might include hp rating, e.g., Honda 90, etc.

You might even try "Run Down Battery" the latest topic where the endless debate resurfaced, and look at the latest owners poll results!

By this time, you'll have a handle on the search process and a list of specific questions that remain unanswered.

Also, go to the Home Page, scroll down to the Library (technical topics), and find the section that deals with engines and the like and looks at the two pages of topics and just go shopping for information! Many of the topics that don't look exactly like what you're looking for are loaded with this seemingly unending debate on engine choice.

Also pay attention to the comments on dealer service, warranties, and the like that go beyond simple motor choice. HTH Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dick, I too am eyeing a repower down the road. I really like the E-Tec 90 and am eagerly awaiting feedback on this site. I've recently read that Evinrude will be coming out with a 70hp 2 cylinder E-Tec @ a great weight savings over the 90. Expected next year http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=314055 I'm still running my Johnson 70 and waiting, and watching...

C-WEED

City/Region: New Brockton
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: C-Weed
Photos: C-WEED
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Engine/repower poll Reply with quote

RCWASS,

Check out the poll in the lower right hand corner of the main page. It addresses this question. Beware, I think all the guy's with Honda twins voted twice! Shocked

TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine/repower poll Reply with quote

C-WEED wrote:
Beware, I think all the guy's with Honda twins voted twice! Shocked

Nope on the two votes. The Nerd won't let 'em. Honda really and truly is that far ahead of the pack.

westward

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like there are a few of us soon to be ex Johnson 70 users, and it seems like the motors have about run their course. It's usually the age, rather than the hours, that gets them first. Mike has been absolutely reliable, but it's getting tired. I know I don't want any more weight astern. I love the Honda Motor Company, but I can't ignore the considerable promise of the E-Tec 90. I look forward to hearing from you new E-Tec users! Mike and Westward.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike-

Although I won't question that the numbers in the vote were taken and recorded accurately, I would make this suggestion:

Faced with with what is an apparently uncomfortable discussion for some people, my guess is that many will vote for whatever brand they already have to affirm their belief or hope that they have a good product.

This works just like you'd expect a person to react when a discussion of Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge Trucks takes place. Most people rally to the cause and defend what they've got, usually out of self-pride if nothing else. Sure, most folks like what they've got, but really don't honestly know for sure if it's really better than the other brands.

So I think the vote reflects this kind of defensive reaction for may persons, while for others it reflects what they would really do. Which motor a person would REALLY buy with $8,000-$12,000 or so of cash in their hand might be a little different matter when the decision is REAL, they have to live with the choice for the next 5-15 years, and the product choices available have changed a lot since they made their original decision.

I'm sorry if this discussion has been difficult or stressful for some of our members. We seem to take the Truck Discussion quite light heartedly, but this one has touched the electrode for some.

Typing with insulated rubber gloves, Joe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: