The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

TomCat's Battery Charger
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike...

State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Photos: Accelerando
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Down undah Reply with quote

matt_unique wrote:
BUT it will make the job a lot easier if you remove the 8 or so screws for the gunwale line storage lockers. It allows good ambient light and gives you a few more options to get down there.

Good to know. I also need to investigate if I can remove those fixed shelves. I haven't figured out why they are there to begin with.
---
mike
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

I just caught up on some of the beginning questions here re: batteries.

I have the baitwell in the aft seat area so my engine batteries are right inside the cockpit doors and set outboard. The main 12V switch panel is Starboard, just amidship to that engine's battery and the Port hatch opens to one of the house batteries which is amidship to the outboard, Port engine battery. The second house battery is in the cabin in the back of the aft dinette cabinet, in a box.

I bought a set of those vinyl tubes with a bulb pump for filling the batteries. You just put the open end into a bottle of distilled water and quick connect the other end to the top of the battery cover (the original equipment plugs are replaced with plugs that connect to this bulb pump. Then, squeeze the bulb until it becomes firm and your battery cells are all full. I use these on my motorhome also.

You have to be careful not to connect the water fill tubes to batteries in different circuits. e.g., you need a separate filler set for each of the three 12V circuits, but it is OK to use one set on two batteries if they are in the same circuit. Safest is to use a separate battery filler tube set on each battery so you can evaluate the individual fluid levels as you fill.

Anyway, I think one could move the house batteries forward easily into several different areas if you needed more aft room. However, putting a hot, gassy, exhausty genset inside the hull is costly and risky. It'd be easier just to install a marine unit.

My dock neighbors are constantly having to clean debris out of their seawater coolant intake and I have no such problems using the Honda in a box.

John
drjohn71a

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Access to aft bilge

Mike, I think Warren cut out round hatch holes in the back of the each fish box to aid in seeing all that equipment/pumps back there. I keep saying I will do that each time I am working in the area, but stop the train of thought once the project at hand is done.

I am also thinking of cutting out that middle support, or at least making it removable, on the sink cabinet. It is tough to clean out that hair filter in the shower sump. You have to take out the screws by feel on the inside corners of the cover.

John
Mike...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjohn71a wrote:
I bought a set of those vinyl tubes with a bulb pump for filling the batteries. You just put the open end into a bottle of distilled water and quick connect the other end to the top of the battery cover (the original equipment plugs are replaced with plugs that connect to this bulb pump. Then, squeeze the bulb until it becomes firm and your battery cells are all full.

Neat. I'll have to check those out.

drjohn71a wrote:
However, putting a hot, gassy, exhaust genset inside the hull is costly and risky. It'd be easier just to install a marine unit.

I have pretty much given up on that plan. Currently, it looks like it will be the Yamaha EF2500iSHC.

drjohn71a wrote:

My dock neighbors are constantly having to clean debris out of their seawater coolant intake and I have no such problems using the Honda in a box.

Also why I don't want to install a marine air conditioner. Smile
---
mike
Mike...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjohn71a wrote:
Mike, I think Warren cut out round hatch holes in the back of the each fish box to aid in seeing all that equipment/pumps back there.

Yes, I remember seeing that. I think it's an interesting plan. But those hatch covers would really have to be watertight, because as Dr. Bob has pointed out, putting holes in our fish boxes defeats the whole purpose of a self bailing cockpit.

drjohn71a wrote:

I am also thinking of cutting out that middle support, or at least making it removable, on the sink cabinet. It is tough to clean out that hair filter in the shower sump. You have to take out the screws by feel on the inside corners of the cover.

I don't have a middle support under the galley cabinet. I wonder if that is because I don't have the wallas stove?
---
mike
drjohn71a

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

That's interesting about your sink cabinet having no middle support. I should be keeping up on these things by checking out everybody's albums, I guess.

I am going to either beef up the horizontal top frame member and cut out the middle vertical bar, or make the middle bar removable with hand screw knobs to tighten it. I have to leave something in the middle to fill the space between the doors, or attach the cut out support to one door which would need to be closed first.

If you have that much space under the sink cabinet, I'd think about moving two closed cell house batteries up there. My boat tends to be Port heavy and, if I had the room, that is what I'd do.

Right now, all my electronic gear, autopilot and electric over hydraulic steering is mounted in that cabinet. It would be a bit scary to put some batteries in there with all that expensive, delicate stuff.

Thanks for posting the info! John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: