The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Armstrong type bracket on 22 ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dogon dory

State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Armstrong type bracket on 22 ? Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

I had the Armstrong on the 24 Orca -- no problems, but some worries. The Armstrong has a LOT of built in flotation, so the boat was absolutely level at rest with 225 Honda extra-long. In a following sea it worked fine - extra leverage of the bracket made it handle like a much longer hull. OTOH when backing into 2 or 3 knot current with lots of wind while trying to hold position over Halibut rigs, the flat transom is great keeping water out of the cockpit - but the slop around the outboard gets a bit nervous. Never a real problem, because the new motors are pretty well sealed -- but none of em run very well under water. Rolling Eyes

The 22 is a different puppy and gotta think that one through. I've had the 22 splashwell full and several inches of water in the cockpit (boot time, fer sure) with the 22 while pulling shrimp pots in heavy current -- never a danger, but unconfortable. Not sure the 22 transom is strong enough to hold a bracket, but that wouldn't be a big problem for the factory. I'm not the factory so I can say that!! Exclamation The reason I'm going single engine this time is because I don't like water in the cockpit and spend lots of time hunting hallibut and shrimp. So I give up some down-sea stability. Give a little take a little, huh?

I'll put a picture of the Orca underway in my album.

Dusty

dogon dory

State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Sawdust

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More fuel not a bad idea with a full transom. Agree that the only significant stress is when trailering. I've watched the bracket a lot in heavy water and it looks great to me. Ain't no engineer, but a couple of strategically placed knees would give a bit of moral support.

Going down a rough AK highway could be a different story. BTDT after spending some heavy mining time in Dawson. Rolling Eyes

More cockpit in the back of the 22 would be great because it's a little cozy when exciting things happening -- give a little, take a little. The Orca is a sweetheart, but way too much for the use I gave her. Can't family cruise anymore, and too $$ for just me, dog, and fish.

Good project idea,

Duster
SusanS

City/Region: West Richland WA USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Armstrong Reply with quote

I use Armstrong propulsion systems on all of my kayaks. Wink
TWO-DAWGS

City/Region: Kingston
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: TWO-DAWGS
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi:

I had an Armstrong bracket on my Olympic. But I did not have the positive experience that Dusty describes. I had a Suzuki 225 mounted on it and the weight was no problem with the extra floatation. And it also gave me extra cockpit space. This was all to the good. It also did fine going into the chop and with the heavy Olympic hull it was a great ride. The problem is that when there was a following sea, any angle of sea caught the bracket like a lever handle and pushed the boat into a broaching movement. It took great concentration and lots of quick action to maintain good sea keeping. Coming back in off Westport with the normal NW swell, even with good conditions, was a major case of nerves all the way back. Frankly, I hated it. There was also the concern for the downrigger cables when trolling. Even when your downriggers are mounted all the way into the corners of the cockpit that motor sits a long way back. I never snagged one, but I was always watching it close. So when I got interested in the TomCat, the well designed engine mounts built into the transom was a big selling point for me. I have never regretted making the switch, even when I think about all the fun I had cruising in the Olympic at 38 - 40 MPH, which I will never do with Honda 90s. So just based on my one experience, I would suggest you try to find another solution. YF, TWO-DAWGS.

Sawdust

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

Very good information! I really didn't run the Orca enough in heavy weather to properly evaluate the Armstrong for downsea characteristics. It was nice, having the full transom and no noise -- a little itchy when pulling shrimp pots or halibut fishing with water boiling up around the engine -- but over all a good experience.

I look forward to testing the new T-Cat with brackets. I can see a whole bunch of positives -- and dangnabit, there are always things on the other side... should be a sweet boat.

Dusty
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: